IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Am I being too picky or I just have to let it go? [rim damaged by dealership]

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-11, 08:45 AM
my95tsi
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took my car into the dealership last week for a brake fluid flush and refill. I got my car back home and noticed a rather large sratch on my front passenger side rim and assumed it was due to their car wash and they accidentally washed it even though i asked them not to. I called back the same day and asked to speak with the service manager and i told me to bring it in and they fixed it no questions asked. They sent the wheel out to a repair shop to get it fixed, gave me a loaner and had to back the following day. The scratches you are referring to are on all 4 of my rims caused by discount tire, i just let it go as they are small. Rims are going to get sratched and nicked, it's a fact.
Old 10-04-11, 08:49 AM
allst4r
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

those look like rock chips.. looks like tool error. let th em know and get them replaced if u were about that., but to tell you from experience. ur going to get wheel that look like that sooner or later. since rocks chips are inevitable.
Old 10-04-11, 09:21 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I would definately complain to management about the wheels.

I had good experience so far at the local servicing dealership I go to. One time, they called me that they needed to hold the car for an extra day because the tech accidently hit the lift with the wheel when approaching it. They gave it to the wheel shop (which is actually up stairs in their dealership) to repair it and it looked like new.

I wasn't worried since it was the certified car and it already had pre-existing curbs and scatches from the first owner. Now if it were my new car, then possibly I would likely say, get me a new wheel.
Old 10-04-11, 09:57 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
the only time you ever go back to the stealership is for recalls... OR if you know the techs there... hell we have CL members who work as techs and they let NO ONE touch their cars, tells ya something right there dont it
Hell, I'm scared to even go back for recalls anymore. They seem to screw something up every time I do that, so I still haven't gotten the fuel pressure sensor or valve spring recalls done.
Old 10-04-11, 10:02 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I'd bring the car back and show the service advisor and service manager.You have nothing to lose.
They use the socket to take off the lugs and are not careful.My local service shop guy uses a socket with tape around it to stop any possible scratching of the opening.That gash is from the socket hitting the wheel and his not getting it in the lug hole.Carelessness.
I hate bringing the car to dealer service and never ever let them wash it.
The few times I do bring it in,I do a walk around with the service advisor.

Last edited by Joeb427; 10-04-11 at 10:18 AM.
Old 10-04-11, 10:10 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
Hell, I'm scared to even go back for recalls anymore. They seem to screw something up every time I do that, so I still haven't gotten the fuel pressure sensor or valve spring recalls done.
This is dumb. The fuel pressure sensor is a major safety issue. My car was one that suffered from failure of this part and fuel was essentially leaking into my engine compartment, causing a smell and extreme fire hazard.

Valve spring recall results in a 100k powertrain warranty or $500 gift card. Putting it off or not getting it performed negates these huge benefits. Not to mention you'll have had addressed a problem Lexus (the manufacturer of your car) deems important enough to issue a recall for.

Dealerships do screw up sometimes. However, you're being ridiculous if you think it happens even close to a majority of the time. You can't read rant threads on CL about an individual dealership screwing up an individual recall on one individual's car and think it's systemic. Even if it's a group of individuals.

But even more importantly, if the dealership screws something up during performance of this recall, THEY WILL FIX IT. For free. If they don't, or if they screw something up further, you can bet Lexus corporate will step in.

Recalls are issued for a reason. Often they're safety related and can significantly affect operation of the vehicle. In these particular cases, they also come with benefits (a free tank of gas and an extended warranty/gift card).

If this isn't enough, realize that if you have a problem related to these issues and attempt to get it covered by warranty and you HAVEN'T had the relevant recalls performed, you can bet it'll be out of pocket.

Lastly, I and most other potential buyers check Carfax and dealer service history specifically to check that recalls were performed and in a timely manner. You're hurting your resale value.
Old 10-04-11, 11:05 AM
Black04IS
Rookie

I would definitely make them replace it! For what they would charge you if you wanted to pay out of pocket of a new wheel ( I'm guessing 500-600) they need to make it right
Old 10-04-11, 11:29 AM
RAMAIR
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I SAY MAKE EM FIX IT... there is a reason you pay inflated service fees.... scratching your rims is not one of them!
Old 10-04-11, 11:37 AM
BamaIS
Driver

Take it back. That is unacceptable. Nothing makes me more angry than taking my vehicle to a tire store and seeing a tech go at my rims like a Nascar pit crew. If it was unavoidable I would let it go, but this is just the result of carelessness.
Old 10-04-11, 01:33 PM
DonYojan
Driver

They did the same thing to me at lexus of Austin, they ended up refinishing my wheels and they never looked the same the color doesnt match the rear ones etc... it is very shameful! sorry
Old 10-04-11, 03:22 PM
Keppie
Lead Lap

My local dealership scratched a rim. I called as soon as I got home and e-mailed a photo. Initially they said there was no way they caused the damage. I politely explained I have pointed out every flaw before dropping my car off for service. Bottom line is we split the cost on having the wheel repaired which I thought was very fair.

Humans work on the cars and make mistakes. Develop a good relationship with a dealer and they will be fair to you. Demanding and forcing issues is not the remedy. Be nice to them and they will be nice to you.
Old 10-04-11, 03:27 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

when you pick up your car from the stealership everyone just wants to get out of there... this is wrong~ spend the xtra 20min and inspect EVERYTHING, each wheel, each body panel, the bumpers, the door handles, the int., the blah blah blah... you get the point. BEFORE YOU DRIVE OFF THE LOT!
Old 10-04-11, 07:26 PM
wslwang
Driver School Candidate

I took you all's suggestion and brought my car back to dealership. Service manager took a look at it and wanted to make this thing right. I did tried to reason to those people and I should say they were polite and understand my concern.

They will take the car back tomorrow and correct it. I believe they are going to re-finish that damage.

I did clearly told them I am not asking for a new rim. I just want it to be "acceptable level" appearance. I understand rim may be damaged overtime but not like this, especially not a 6 months car. I would let it go if I drive a KIA. But Lexus? Not a chance. Unless they want to be the same level as KIA.

I really hope that technician learn a lesson. I asked the server manager "Will you let the same guy service the LFA in that garage?" before I leave. He was laughing and did not say a thing.
Old 10-04-11, 07:32 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Glad to hear it!
Old 10-04-11, 07:34 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Glad you went back and they are going to take care of you! Like my mom has always said, "Nobody will hear you if you don't ask!"

Quick Reply: Am I being too picky or I just have to let it go? [rim damaged by dealership]