IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Honda Civic vs Lexus IS250?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-11, 03:04 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by msu4466
Get RWD 350 and then park it in the winter and buy a cheap jeep like I did for MI
or I could just buy a Awd 350 but
No thanks 250 kills enough gas is
Old 10-08-11, 03:08 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by wickedsc3
I'm sorry but I would have to disagree. As someone who lives in Michigan I'd love to see you try to drive my SC300 in winter. Sure on the days that the roads have been plowed and properly salted and dirty laid yeah its ok. But welcome to most of winter with a state that is trying to pinch every penny. If I had to place my career in the hands of my rear wheel drive car, I would miss probably 20 days of work in winter. After a big snow storm you are looking at at least a day before your road is plowed. Now closer in the city you will have faster clean up times in winter. But at the end of the day your spending 30k + and hoping the county takes care of your roads, no thanks. Now I personally have a 4 wheel drive truck for winter but anyone with just one car had better look into getting an AWD.
Disagree all you want, you're responding to the wrong person. The argument you're disputing is Kurtz's, which I only paraphrased to take issue with BrightonB's confusing retort about not being able to afford winter tires while he seemingly can afford AWD over RWD. I'm not throwing my hat in the AWD vs. RWD debate, as I have little to no experience with AWD cars nor with comparing winter vs. all season tires.
Old 10-08-11, 03:11 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by wickedsc3
I'm sorry but I would have to disagree. As someone who lives in Michigan I'd love to see you try to drive my SC300 in winter. Sure on the days that the roads have been plowed and properly salted and dirty laid yeah its ok. But welcome to most of winter with a state that is trying to pinch every penny. If I had to place my career in the hands of my rear wheel drive car, I would miss probably 20 days of work in winter. After a big snow storm you are looking at at least a day before your road is plowed. Now closer in the city you will have faster clean up times in winter. But at the end of the day your spending 30k + and hoping the county takes care of your roads, no thanks. Now I personally have a 4 wheel drive truck for winter but anyone with just one car had better look into getting an AWD.
Yup winters in Ohio is just as bad and having owned a civic fwd s2000 rwd stop Awd all with winter tires Awd wins rwd doesn't compare. Sorry
Old 10-08-11, 03:11 PM
steezy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys are funny. the only 2IS' meant to race in the 2IS forum are IS-Fs and HKS350. People gotta drop back into reality...
Old 10-08-11, 03:55 PM
BrightonB
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by calvin2376
I'm confused as to what you're disputing. You seem to be saying that Kurtz didn't think about the fact that "some of us dont got money to spend like that" on winter tires....but apparently those same people have the money to spend on an AWD model, which commands a significant price premium over RWD?

Kurtz is saying that in most cases, simply putting winter tires on a RWD provides the snow performance you need without having to get AWD. You seem to be taking issue with that by pointing out that some people don't have money to buy winter tires, so they buy AWD.

But see the price premium of an AWD model over a RWD is far greater than the cost of winter tires. So it's actually more often cost efficient to get RWD with snow tires instead of AWD with any tires.
guy im not confused im saying to all the people who keep saying get the 350 and shet im saying people dont got money like that and i got my awd for 19g 2 years ago with only 45k miles with navi but of course no ml but what im trying to say is why is people saying get the 350 when we obviously have 250s for a reason or in other words everyone has there reasons. ill tell you this, i live in the suburb of mass and they do some bs street cleaning around here when it snows and why are you guys always saying this and that when the point of this thread is 250 vs civic not trade 250 get 350 and race civic. also the gas on my awd is straight isnt tht bad since i dont hammer the gas pedal alot no more
Old 10-08-11, 04:04 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This went from Civic vs IS250 to a debate on RWD vs AWD in snow.

I think this thread has run its course
Old 10-08-11, 04:16 PM
ddhleigh
Pole Position

yea, starting to sound like that awd/rwd/snow thread about 2 months back.
Old 10-08-11, 04:50 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 92 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
This went from Civic vs IS250 to a debate on RWD vs AWD in snow.

I think this thread has run its course
^^^^^^ hahahah totally agree...from race to winter tires....awd vs rwd...hahhaha...funny...
anyway wats the verdict? who's the winner?
Old 10-08-11, 04:59 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by steezy
You guys are funny. the only 2IS' meant to race in the 2IS forum are IS-Fs and HKS350. People gotta drop back into reality...
You must be new to the forum.

I guess Caymandrive, Juice, ToothDoc, Gernby aren't meant to race. Yet, they have one of the fastest IS350 on the list..

http://www.dragtimes.com/Lexus--IS350-Drag-Racing.html

I guess a 0-60 in 4.5 second car isn't meant to race.
Old 10-08-11, 05:35 PM
ML11IS250
Driver School Candidate

4.5 is pretty fast
Old 10-08-11, 07:15 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The IS350 badge is a mark of honor. I will never even consider de-badging my car. IS350s are far too rare for that.
Old 10-08-11, 08:55 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I raced OP's civic......He whooped me up!!!
Old 10-08-11, 09:51 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RDIS250AWD
well said. good tires or not logically when someone lives in a state where snow is crazy of course the smart thing to do is buy AWD. why would u want to risk it and say oh imma buy RWD with some sweet tires to get through 12+ inches of snow. that sounds pretty logical. not really
because tires matter more than drivetrain.

All else being equal, the same car with AWD and all-seasons will perform worse than with RWD and snow tires when in snow.

The marketing kool aid for AWD is pretty tasty though so you get lots of folks in northern states dropping 3-5k more for AWD, then driving through winter on crappy all-seasons... and as a bonus getting worse mileage 365 days a year too.

Originally Posted by BrightonB
guy im not confused im saying to all the people who keep saying get the 350 and shet im saying people dont got money like that

But you're paying more than if you had gone RWD with snow tires.

The amount extra you spend in gas, 365 days a year, pushing 4 wheels instead of 2 with the engine, would more than pay for a set of snow tires every few years.

Originally Posted by RDIS250AWD
Yup winters in Ohio is just as bad and having owned a civic fwd s2000 rwd stop Awd all with winter tires Awd wins rwd doesn't compare. Sorry
That's simply not the case though.

Go back to the long thread a couple months ago on this topic... numerous tests were posted (from sources like Tire Rack, Car and Driver, and others) where they tested things like AWD vs. FWD vs. RWD with snow and all-seasons... as I said, they generally found RWD with snow tires did better overall than AWD with all-season tires... and overall suggested that unless you're frequently climbing very steep hills (20-30% grade) you will be better off with a RWD car using proper tires than taking the weight, cost, and mileage hit of AWD...even if you live in the north.... apart from climbing steep hills or drag racing on ice the AWD system was more of a drawback (in areas like braking and handling) than a benefit.

From the C&D article for example: (bold added)

Originally Posted by Car and Driver
Four-wheel drive helps get cars going. When it comes time to brake or change direction on low-traction surfaces, the extra mass of the driveline becomes more of a detriment. Folks who live in hilly places that get snow may need the climbing capability of four-wheel drive. If it snows a lot in those hilly places, they should probably invest in winter tires, too. Even flat-landers who happen to have steep driveways may wish to consider a four-wheel-driver.

Almost everyone else will most likely be better served by using winter tires. Acceleration takes longer, but in an emergency, the handling behavior and improved lateral grip of two-wheel drive and winter tires -- in the slippery stuff -- are the safer bets.

I'd encourage folks wanting to continue to tire debate to take it to that AWD/RWD thread though so folks can get back to debating which mid-15 second car wins the race :P
Old 10-08-11, 09:59 PM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ML11IS250
4.5 is pretty fast
That's how fast an IS350 can run!
Old 10-08-11, 10:22 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

You failed to read I said I have winter tires for each car I had. Not all seasons. So once again fail. Rwd with winter tires does not compare to Awd with winter tires. Once again I've owned a civic which is fwd s2000 rwd and sti Awd. Each had a set of winter wheels with blizzaks. I doubt you've had driven all 3 drive trains with blizzaks to even make such a claim. Idiot. Awd with blizzaks guaranteed will run circles around rwd with the same tires anyday. Come to a state with 12 inches plus of snow with your rwd and winter tires and then talk

Originally Posted by Kurtz
because tires matter more than drivetrain.

All else being equal, the same car with AWD and all-seasons will perform worse than with RWD and snow tires when in snow.

The marketing kool aid for AWD is pretty tasty though so you get lots of folks in northern states dropping 3-5k more for AWD, then driving through winter on crappy all-seasons... and as a bonus getting worse mileage 365 days a year too.

But you're paying more than if you had gone RWD with snow tires.

The amount extra you spend in gas, 365 days a year, pushing 4 wheels instead of 2 with the engine, would more than pay for a set of snow tires every few years.

That's simply not the case though.

Go back to the long thread a couple months ago on this topic... numerous tests were posted (from sources like Tire Rack, Car and Driver, and others) where they tested things like AWD vs. FWD vs. RWD with snow and all-seasons... as I said, they generally found RWD with snow tires did better overall than AWD with all-season tires... and overall suggested that unless you're frequently climbing very steep hills (20-30% grade) you will be better off with a RWD car using proper tires than taking the weight, cost, and mileage hit of AWD...even if you live in the north.... apart from climbing steep hills or drag racing on ice the AWD system was more of a drawback (in areas like braking and handling) than a benefit.

From the C&D article for example: (bold added)

I'd encourage folks wanting to continue to tire debate to take it to that AWD/RWD thread though so folks can get back to debating which mid-15 second car wins the race :P

Quick Reply: Honda Civic vs Lexus IS250?