IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Got hit while parked

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-11, 11:45 PM
DNAIS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to see those pics. Hope it works out. You deserve a new car after this.
Old 10-06-11, 11:47 PM
lowis250
Lead Lap

DAMN DAMN DAMN ...... AND some of this **** **** **** ****
Old 10-07-11, 09:01 AM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

My God. This is horrible. So glad you caught the guy.
Old 10-07-11, 10:16 AM
Lexitegra
Lexus Test Driver

OUCH!!! That looks terrible. Glad no one was inside at the time. This is why I'm scared to park on the street . Lucky that you were able to catch him. Let us know what the outcome is!
Old 10-07-11, 10:24 AM
stanced
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I wouldn't be able to remain calm if i watched that happen..
Old 10-07-11, 12:18 PM
busdepot
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TheSenator
LOL the damage amount wasn't correct but it is irrelevant. Actually its called battery when you hit someone intentionally and actually perform the act, only assault would be if you swung and missed. Wouldn't you know that professionally??? Remember he said teenager.....a minor. You can also be put on a child abuse registry in most states that could keep you from a job even if it is a misdemeanor. Then, his parents will surely (and easily) sue you in civil court. But yeah, tooootally worth punching a kid.
A legal adult might be a different story, beating a minor makes the 5 oclock news.

Good luck OP, hope it works out for you!
In Canada, you don't get charged with battery, you get charged with assault. We don't all live in Americaland, so forgive my terminology. Professionally speaking, of course
Old 10-07-11, 01:17 PM
Rikg35
Lead Lap

Metal can be replaced, at least you wernt standing there or anyone hurt.
Old 10-07-11, 01:37 PM
Nelly
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd probably upgrade to an F after that :X Holy god.
Old 10-07-11, 02:12 PM
BrandonC
Driver School Candidate

I wasn't calm at all =( I nearly cried when I saw it.

Well I got the parent's insurance information. it's their car, they'll have to be responsible. The insurance claim is pending. Even then, it's unlikely that they'll pay for the whole cost. Its at the Lexus body shop now waiting for the adjustor's estimate, the guy that works there said's it could be over $10000 in damage.

Hoping for total loss.

Anyone with similar experience?
Old 10-07-11, 02:24 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonC
I wasn't calm at all =( I nearly cried when I saw it.

Well I got the parent's insurance information. it's their car, they'll have to be responsible. The insurance claim is pending. Even then, it's unlikely that they'll pay for the whole cost. Its at the Lexus body shop now waiting for the adjustor's estimate, the guy that works there said's it could be over $10000 in damage.

Hoping for total loss.

Anyone with similar experience?

Depending on how your insurance determines a car being totalled, it may or may not be. Some insurance companies will total it if either the repairs exceed the value of the car or if there is damage that cannot be repaired safely (i.e. frame). Others will total it if damage goes over a certain % of value. There's also different state laws that affect the decision too.

Since the kid has no license, there's a good chance the parents insurance company will deny the claim. They are allowed to do this, which would leave the parents financially responsible for your vehicle. Hopefully, you have underinsured coverage from your insurance company to protect you in case that does happen and the parents don't have that kind of money. You and/or your insurance company might seek legal action against them in that case to get the damages back.

I've heard of situations like this, kid doesn't have insurance, gets into an accident, the owners insurance denies the claim and legal action is taken. Hopefully you don't have to go through all that, it's never fun...but your insurance company should take care of you in any case no matter what the situation is.
Old 10-07-11, 02:39 PM
Ca1vN
Driver

wow. that sucks. how can the parents insurance just deny it? it clearly was the kids fault. if thats the case every teenager would drive around recklessly and there would be no consequence at all.
Old 10-07-11, 03:22 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ca1vN
wow. that sucks. how can the parents insurance just deny it? it clearly was the kids fault. if thats the case every teenager would drive around recklessly and there would be no consequence at all.
No no its different in this situation.

Your forgetting, OP mentioned this was a teenager with NO license.

The parents insurance company does not have to cover any damages if the car is leant to an unlicensed driver. In fact, they wont, period. I've never heard of an insurance company covering an unlicensed driver in an accident. They have exclusions...they don't have to cover you if you drive your car on the track, or engage in street racing either. It's not the insurance companies fault the teen was driving his/her parents car without a license. Insurance can get out of this one quick, and leave all liablity on the parents. OP will be lucky, and the first person ive ever seen, if the parents insurance actually covers this.

Usually, legal action is taken in this kind of situation.

If he had a license it would be different. Most insurance companies will cover anyone not listed on your policy at at LEAST the state minimum coverage if they drive your car with your consent.

Last edited by KillaIS250; 10-07-11 at 03:27 PM.
Old 10-07-11, 04:17 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by BrandonC
Well I got the parent's insurance information. it's their car, they'll have to be responsible. The insurance claim is pending. Even then, it's unlikely that they'll pay for the whole cost.
Why wouldn't their insurance pay for the whole cost? Assuming the parents' insurance does elect to cover it even though the kid was unlicensed, I would imagine this would be an all or nothing thing. Either the insurance covers it and they pay everything, or they decide not to cover it because the driver was unlicensed and they pay nothing. Why would there be anything in between?

I definitely think there's a possibility of their insurance company denying this claim because the kid was unlicensed, as KillaIS250 above says. Then your uninsured motorist coverage component of your own insurance kicks in, and your insurance company can then decide how to pursue action against the parents. You yourself shouldn't have to be involved whatsoever in this part.

In any case, it seems like there are two possibilities going from here:

1) Their insurance decides to pay for the damages (unlikely, given the kid was unlicensed and an insurance company only covers licensed drivers, not cars)

2) Their insurance company denies the claim, so your insurance (assuming you have uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage) kicks in and they pay for the damages, then your insurance company goes after the parents

In both cases, you should get the entirety of your car's damages paid for.

Can anyone see any other scenarios?
Old 10-07-11, 04:20 PM
Ca1vN
Driver

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
No no its different in this situation.

Your forgetting, OP mentioned this was a teenager with NO license.

The parents insurance company does not have to cover any damages if the car is leant to an unlicensed driver. In fact, they wont, period. I've never heard of an insurance company covering an unlicensed driver in an accident. They have exclusions...they don't have to cover you if you drive your car on the track, or engage in street racing either. It's not the insurance companies fault the teen was driving his/her parents car without a license. Insurance can get out of this one quick, and leave all liablity on the parents. OP will be lucky, and the first person ive ever seen, if the parents insurance actually covers this.

Usually, legal action is taken in this kind of situation.

If he had a license it would be different. Most insurance companies will cover anyone not listed on your policy at at LEAST the state minimum coverage if they drive your car with your consent.
right thats what im saying. if the kid is uninsured or has no license then the person at fault would be the parents. no?
Old 10-07-11, 04:24 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ca1vN
right thats what im saying. if the kid is uninsured or has no license then the person at fault would be the parents. no?
Yes, the person at fault in this case would be the parents for letting their unlicensed kid drive their car. In which case OP's insurance will probably go after the parents for a settlement. Unless the uninsured drivers parents are wealthy and can afford to pay off these damages. But considering OP's car wasn't the only one damaged, i'm gonna assume that isn't going to be the case.

Actually, now remembering that there are 3 claims going on here probably (OP mentioned it was his car + 2 others) i'm almost completely sure the parents insurance is going to deny this claim and leave the parents to settle this themselves.

Last edited by KillaIS250; 10-07-11 at 04:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Got hit while parked