IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Got hit while parked

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-11, 04:32 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by calvin2376
Why wouldn't their insurance pay for the whole cost? Assuming the parents' insurance does elect to cover it even though the kid was unlicensed, I would imagine this would be an all or nothing thing. Either the insurance covers it and they pay everything, or they decide not to cover it because the driver was unlicensed and they pay nothing. Why would there be anything in between?

I definitely think there's a possibility of their insurance company denying this claim because the kid was unlicensed, as KillaIS250 above says. Then your uninsured motorist coverage component of your own insurance kicks in, and your insurance company can then decide how to pursue action against the parents. You yourself shouldn't have to be involved whatsoever in this part.

In any case, it seems like there are two possibilities going from here:

1) Their insurance decides to pay for the damages (unlikely, given the kid was unlicensed and an insurance company only covers licensed drivers, not cars)

2) Their insurance company denies the claim, so your insurance (assuming you have uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage) kicks in and they pay for the damages, then your insurance company goes after the parents

In both cases, you should get the entirety of your car's damages paid for.

Can anyone see any other scenarios?
Good point Calvin, i don't see anyway the damages wouldn't be covered in full if the proper insurance is in place here.
Old 10-07-11, 04:33 PM
Ca1vN
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@KillaIS250 OP might have to get legal help and the other 3 cars that were hit probably are going to go after the parents insurance as well. or they are gonna be in for deep legal issues.
Old 10-07-11, 04:37 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ca1vN
@KillaIS250 OP might have to get legal help and the other 3 cars that were hit probably are going to go after the parents insurance as well. or they are gonna be in for deep legal issues.
Well if the OP has uninsured/underinsured coverage in effect on his policy, he should be good. There may be a deductible to pay in this case, but he will be covered. Insurance has their own high power lawyers to go after the parents in these kind of situations. He won't need to get one. The only time OP might have to get involved with legal action is if he didn't elect to have underinsured/uninsured coverage.
Old 10-07-11, 05:26 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by Ca1vN
None of the owners of the damaged cars will need to legally pursue the parents (unless they don't have uninsured motorist coverage). The way it works is the OP will file an uninsured motorist claim with his insurance company, they will pay the claim, and then the insurance company pursues legal action against the parents (who are clearly liable here) and recovers damages to cover the claims they paid for the OP's repairs.

The system is set up this way precisely so that the insurance companies take on the burden of pursuing legal action instead of the owners of the vehicles.

So the OP should not need any lawyers/legal representation UNLESS he runs into a situation where the parents' insurance denies the claim AND he doesn't have uninsured motorist coverage OR his insurance company for some unfathomable reason doesn't cover it through uninsured motorist coverage. That would mean he'd need a lawyer to help either go after his insurance company for payment (if they're wrongfully denying the claim) or more likely go after the parents for payment.

In any case, there's no reason I see that the OP shouldn't be completely taken care of.

The people who are going to get totally screwed are the parents, though rightfully so because they're liable. The damages are going to be enormous - I'd forgotten there were more cars involved.
Old 10-07-11, 06:49 PM
trixxx519
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have full coverage, but not sure if i have uninsured motorist coverage. Does it actually say "Uninsured Motorist Coverage" on the papers, when you get your insurance.
Old 10-07-11, 06:57 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by trixxx519
I have full coverage, but not sure if i have uninsured motorist coverage. Does it actually say "Uninsured Motorist Coverage" on the papers, when you get your insurance.
Yes:

Got hit while parked-untitled.png

If this isn't listed on your policy you don't have it, and if you don't have it you don't have full coverage. Uninsured motorist coverage is a necessity, as this thread clearly shows.
Old 10-07-11, 07:20 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by trixxx519
One way to know for sure is to make a call to your insurance company and ask yourself If you don't have it, find out how much it is to add it in. It's usually not that much, and might save you in the long run. Most insurance companies now include this though if you have collision coverage, and you would need to decline it yourself to not have it. But that's if you've got your insurance more recently.