IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Larger Rims affect acceleration?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-11, 05:34 PM
Robs IS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by istarzan
Won't increasing the diameter of the wheels throw off the odometer? Looking to get 19's while keeping stock sidewall height.
As long as you keep the factory Overall Diameter you should be good to go. This is why there are so many options as far as tire widths/profiles.

Most factory wheels aren't forged and can weigh anywhere from 25 lbs up (Yes even 17's). If you get into the forged category, you can find wheels weighing as low as 19 lbs. A light forged wheel along with the correct tire size matched to the factory OD, could save you a bunch of unsprung weight on each corner. That along with a wider wheel would give you more footprint on the ground!

Good luck on your search for the perfect set of wheels, it's not easy!
Old 10-23-11, 07:58 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean8788
I was looking to upgrade my standard 17's to 18's will I notice a difference in acceleration?
Everything else constant, the larger the rim, more heavier it will be.
Old 10-23-11, 08:01 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by brociouz
That's a complicated question Calvin, and quite frankly, probably beyond my scope of knowledge, But, I'll give it a shot with my 1 year of mechanical engineering education.

A larger rolling diameter should actually slow your car down because you get less torque. Think of it like starting your car in 2nd gear. You would, however, have a higher theoretical top speed. This is also why you try to match the rolling diameters as close as possible, so you don't mess up your speedometer.

If you had a 17" vs. 18" setup with identical rolling diameters, identical tire widths etc, there could still be a difference due to the moment of inertia implications. Think of a bicycle wheel that just happened to have all of its mass near the outside diameter and compare it to another wheel with the exact same outside diameter, but with all the mass concentrated toward the center. The latter one would respond better to torque, and thus result in fast acceleration.

So you have overall weight, moment of inertia factors, wheel widths, tire properties, etc. Lots of variables at play.
bro, it will require MORE torque to turn a larger diameter wheel. Hence all things constant, the larger diameter will be a detriment. therefore keep the final diameter of the wheel + tire combo within factory specs.
Old 10-23-11, 08:33 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

^
Yep!! Also can be proven by riding a bicycle and doing similar, except using your legs so you would definately feel a diference.

Last edited by Sango; 10-23-11 at 09:20 PM.
Old 10-23-11, 08:52 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
bro, it will require MORE torque to turn a larger diameter wheel. Hence all things constant, the larger diameter will be a detriment. therefore keep the final diameter of the wheel + tire combo within factory specs.
Yes... and that's what I said: "A larger rolling diameter should actually slow your car down." Perhaps I worded it poorly.

Originally Posted by Sango
^
Yep!! Also can be proven by riding a bicycle and doing similar similar, except using your legs so you would definately feel a diference.
Yes, which is almost exactly what I said: "Think of it like starting your car in 2nd gear."
Old 10-23-11, 09:07 PM
SCWB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think we should consider one factor at a time;

1. Longer OVERALL tire circumference will impede the acceleration because the final gear ratio will be taller overall. It's just like you start rolling with second gear instead of first (no, its not that bad but I exaggerate so you get an idea). But you will get higher top speed if you have excess horsepowers to compensate with higher air drag induced by higher vehicle speed (in theory, yes because you now have taller final ratio)

2. Heavier wheel+tire will impede the acceleration, braking and cornering. Easy explanation, because it has more mass, more inertia and more unsprung weight.

3. Wider contact patch will impede the acceleration but improve the lateral G and braking. Wider contact patch, mean higher rolling resistance and higher lateral adhesion.

Now when you change the wheel diameter, you will most likely, unavoidably affect more than one factor.

For example, step up from 225-40-18 to 225-35-19 will affect both weight and overall circumference.
Old 10-23-11, 09:15 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SCWB
3. Wider contact patch will impede the acceleration but improve the lateral G and braking. Wider contact patch, mean higher rolling resistance and higher lateral adhesion.
Wouldn't a wider contact patch give you more traction and thus (assuming traction was a limiting factor, which I have certainly found to be the case on the drag strip) increased acceleration?
Old 10-23-11, 09:22 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

^
#1 would yep, true as well because it's the most outer part of the tire that would have an influence as part of the rotational mass.
Old 10-24-11, 05:55 AM
SCWB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brociouz
Wouldn't a wider contact patch give you more traction and thus (assuming traction was a limiting factor, which I have certainly found to be the case on the drag strip) increased acceleration?
For IS350, I agree, yes it will provide more of the off-the-line traction where you need it most. After the tire stop spinning and regain traction you don't need as much of the traction. Overall should result in lower 1/4 mile time.

But for my IS250, the engine has the hard time breaking 245-45-17 loose Putting on wider tire will worsen the acceleration.

The point is that wider tires create more drag and hence more loss in power. If you drag race from a rolling start, your acceleration might suffer with wider tire.