IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Expensive Service

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-11, 11:31 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rprestel
Does anyone have suggestions on slotted or cross-drilled brakes? Do you guys have any other advice for me?
Don't get them unless your going for looks. Slotted rotors eat away at the pads, drilled rotors crack around the drilled areas after a while. Unless you want them for looks, don't bother. You want as much surface area as possible to dissipate heat, slotted and/or drilled rotors take some of that area away.

Sounds like the dealer is trying to screw you though, its unlikely you need rotors + pads + calipers at the sametime.
Old 10-12-11, 11:58 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Do you know the name or # of that TSB? I do have a 2006.
It's not a TSIB, it's a "special service campaign", which is considered a recall. SSC-9LB

Originally Posted by rookieIS
^ TSB only applies if your car is still under warranty. However for an 06 the warranty is gone unless you have extended.
No, this is a recall, not limited to the warranty period.

Originally Posted by Gymniac
Would they fix it for free if there was a recall for the issue?
They should fix the issue with the caliper slide pin, since this was an issue of inadequate lubrication when the car was built. It wouldn't pay to replace the OP's rotors or pads.

Originally Posted by JETLEX
Bichon,
does this apply to other years as well? Do you have a link to the recall that I can print out?
Just 2006 and 2007.

Here it is, right on the government's (NHTSA) website: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/do...28044-3910.pdf

Last edited by Bichon; 10-12-11 at 12:13 PM.
Old 10-12-11, 12:36 PM
bones714
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
It's not a TSIB, it's a "special service campaign", which is considered a recall. SSC-9LB

No, this is a recall, not limited to the warranty period.

They should fix the issue with the caliper slide pin, since this was an issue of inadequate lubrication when the car was built. It wouldn't pay to replace the OP's rotors or pads.

Just 2006 and 2007.

Here it is, right on the government's (NHTSA) website: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/do...28044-3910.pdf
My car supposedly was checked back in 2009 for this condition, as listed in the vehicle history report but I tried to change the rear brake pads over the weekend and sure enough the slide pins were seized. Would this work still be covered even though it was performed (inspected) back in 2009? The car is a 2006 but only has 41K miles and I never needed to check the brakes/calipers until recently.
Old 10-12-11, 12:36 PM
funglenn
Lead Lap

i love this board--thanks for the added info.
Old 10-12-11, 02:25 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

I just took my car in for the 65k maintenance and of course Lexus tells me that there is a bazillion things wrong with my car. They said that I need new rotors, pads and CALIPERs for my rear brakes. I understand that the brakes wear, but why would I need new calipers? I am not looking to spend $2k to have them do the service.

Does anyone have suggestions on slotted or cross-drilled brakes? Do you guys have any other advice for me?
Stealerships survive on these techniques.
Otherwise how can they afford selling cars close to invoice and oil changes only.

But glad you asked here. Unless you have a problem with the brakes, no need to change.

BTW, are you a female? Just trying to see if the dealership is preying on you.
Old 10-12-11, 04:05 PM
calvin2376
Racer

This makes me so furious. It reminds me of a situation with my last car, a 2003 E55. I brought it into the dealership complaining the inside smelled of gasoline. Sure enough they found both sending units below the rear passenger seats to be leaking gasoline into the cabin. They told me it would be $1000 per sending unit, or $2000 total. They just called and told me that, like I'd just be fine with it and say "Sure go ahead, I'd love to pay that!" In truth I bet a lot of Mercedes customers respond just like that.

I wasn't happy. So I did some research online and found there was in fact a recall for this issue. I called the service manager back and asked if he was aware of any recalls on the car related to this issue. He said he didn't know of any. Then I asked if he'd ever heard of Recall Campaign XYZ. He said he'd never heard of it.

Well of course this recall was exactly for that issue, I printed the recall and brought it in to him, and they went ahead and fixed it at no charge to me.

What a terrible practice dealerships use to try and gouge unsuspecting customers. Try and sneak something by that should be covered by warranty or recall.

OP, definitely let us know how it goes for you when bringing this recall information in to the dealer. If I were you I wouldn't let them get off so easy just by saying "Oh OK we'll cover it". Get a clear explanation from the head service manager of why they would try and charge you for something they should have known was covered by a recall. Particularly given you're such a repeat customer.
Old 10-13-11, 03:50 PM
kurency
Rookie

Originally Posted by calvin2376
This makes me so furious. It reminds me of a situation with my last car, a 2003 E55. I brought it into the dealership complaining the inside smelled of gasoline. Sure enough they found both sending units below the rear passenger seats to be leaking gasoline into the cabin. They told me it would be $1000 per sending unit, or $2000 total. They just called and told me that, like I'd just be fine with it and say "Sure go ahead, I'd love to pay that!" In truth I bet a lot of Mercedes customers respond just like that.

I wasn't happy. So I did some research online and found there was in fact a recall for this issue. I called the service manager back and asked if he was aware of any recalls on the car related to this issue. He said he didn't know of any. Then I asked if he'd ever heard of Recall Campaign XYZ. He said he'd never heard of it.

Well of course this recall was exactly for that issue, I printed the recall and brought it in to him, and they went ahead and fixed it at no charge to me.

What a terrible practice dealerships use to try and gouge unsuspecting customers. Try and sneak something by that should be covered by warranty or recall.

OP, definitely let us know how it goes for you when bringing this recall information in to the dealer. If I were you I wouldn't let them get off so easy just by saying "Oh OK we'll cover it". Get a clear explanation from the head service manager of why they would try and charge you for something they should have known was covered by a recall. Particularly given you're such a repeat customer.
Some dealerships are just dumb. They make money on recalls, cause corporate has to pay them for their work anyways. good thing you checked. Thank goodness for the internet!

But everyone should do some research and find a good mechanic. Dealerships price on labor is a serious mark up that people should not pay.
Old 10-13-11, 03:59 PM
baypistol
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate the dealerships and personally I try not to go there unless it is covered under the warranty. You might want to take it to another dealership to see if they will cover the recall. If you have an extended warranty you can take it to any shop if they will work with the mechanic shop. Good luck and I hope you have a good outcome.