IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Expensive Service

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-11, 07:10 AM
rprestel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Expensive Service

I just took my car in for the 65k maintenance and of course Lexus tells me that there is a bazillion things wrong with my car. They said that I need new rotors, pads and CALIPERs for my rear brakes. I understand that the brakes wear, but why would I need new calipers? I am not looking to spend $2k to have them do the service.

Does anyone have suggestions on slotted or cross-drilled brakes? Do you guys have any other advice for me?
Old 10-12-11, 07:20 AM
smackman
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default $2k?

Originally Posted by rprestel
I just took my car in for the 65k maintenance and of course Lexus tells me that there is a bazillion things wrong with my car. They said that I need new rotors, pads and CALIPERs for my rear brakes. I understand that the brakes wear, but why would I need new calipers? I am not looking to spend $2k to have them do the service.

Does anyone have suggestions on slotted or cross-drilled brakes? Do you guys have any other advice for me?
$2K? Hell would freeze over before I paid that.
I would find me another dealership or another reputable mechanic shop for a second opinion.
Old 10-12-11, 08:38 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Did they say why you needed those things? If not, ask. Including asking for the measurements they took of the pads and rotors.

And my only suggestion on cross-drilled brakes is there's no good reason to ever use them on anything but a show car. They're a negative in all functional ways.

Slotted, while it has some drawbacks in normal use, does at least provide some benefit on a car used on the track.

But if you only ever drive it on the street then blank rotors are the best thing to use.
Old 10-12-11, 08:44 AM
rprestel
Driver School Candidate

They told me that the rears are measuring at 2mm and that the side pins for the calipers are seized and the calipers need to be replaced. I will do the brakes (not from Lexus) but replacing calipers on a Luxury car at 65K miles seems ridiculous.
Old 10-12-11, 08:45 AM
baypistol
Driver

Sometimes you can just have the rotors resurfaced unless your calipers were grinding on the rotors because the brakes were so low. I would take it to a brake shop to get another opinion. A brake shop such as Firestone can un-seize it also.
Old 10-12-11, 09:00 AM
GilIS250
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by baypistol
Sometimes you can just have the rotors resurfaced unless your calipers were grinding on the rotors because the brakes were so low. I would take it to a brake shop to get another opinion. A brake shop such as Firestone can un-seize it also.
I had to do that once, get my rotors resurface.... anyways, I guess I would have taken it to a brake shop, but I was worried for them doing a not so good job.

Also, for 2k I would just upgrade to the BBK LOL
Old 10-12-11, 09:15 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

They told me that the rears are measuring at 2mm and that the side pins for the calipers are seized and the calipers need to be replaced. I will do the brakes (not from Lexus) but replacing calipers on a Luxury car at 65K miles seems ridiculous.
Is your car a 2006? There is a recall for seized caliper slide pins.
Old 10-12-11, 10:21 AM
rprestel
Driver School Candidate

Do you know the name or # of that TSB? I do have a 2006.
Old 10-12-11, 10:25 AM
rookieIS
Lexus Champion

^ TSB only applies if your car is still under warranty. However for an 06 the warranty is gone unless you have extended.
Old 10-12-11, 10:27 AM
Gymniac
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bichon
Would they fix it for free if there was a recall for the issue?
Old 10-12-11, 10:28 AM
rprestel
Driver School Candidate

I am going to fight the dealer on this one. We have bought like 10 Lexus vehicles from this dealer and if there was a TSB that they didn't replace I will blow a gasket. This is something they probably conveniently forgot to check.
Old 10-12-11, 10:30 AM
JETLEX
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
Bichon,
does this apply to other years as well? Do you have a link to the recall that I can print out?

OP,
Is this on a IS250 or 350?
I know on the IS250, you can purchase just the pins from the dealer if necessary. Be aware that the top slide pin has a rubber bushing that fits into the groove on the end of it.

There might be a repair shop in your area that specializes in Lexus who may be able to give you a second opinion (as stated above), and do the job for cheaper. If so, ask them if they use OEM parts during the repair when they give you a quote.
Old 10-12-11, 10:46 AM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

If it's a recall by any manufacturer, they are required to fix this at NO Charge (required by Federal Law). Even if you don't have a warranty, they have to fix it since it is a Safety Risk.

You should be able to search from Google on that... since it's a recall, I assume it should be available everywhere since Lexus/Toyota is required to notify all affected vehicle owners.
Old 10-12-11, 10:56 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

^yup... Recall means they MUST fix it - even if you are out of warranty - for FREE.
Old 10-12-11, 11:12 AM
vegita40
Driver School Candidate

Although I live in Canada I do have a US 2006 IS350 and noticed there were about 6-7 outstanding campaigns for recall issues. Needless to say, the fixed everything for me free of charge and should be consistent anywhere. You could also make a log into on Lexus.com and put in your VIN to see what campaigns you have outstanding or just call. All in all recalls are free as mentioned before =)

Quick Reply: Expensive Service