IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Can you guys help me out and check out this 250

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-11, 10:09 AM
jakehz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you guys help me out and check out this 250

Found an is250 starfire with 80k miles. Its priced at 21k but im sure i could talk them down b/c it has 80k miles and it has premium. I have started a couple threads on getting it even though im 17. I want to say that this IS the car im going to get so please no "your too young to have a car like this". I work my a$$ off to pay for things like this and Ive been driving a beater a for a while now. If you guys could please look at the carfax that would be awsome. Also a price range I should talk to them about.
thanks
Jake
http://www.newportlexus.com/VehicleD...-CA/1160279623
Old 10-13-11, 10:28 AM
Nuckingfut
Driver

Originally Posted by jakehz
Found an is250 starfire with 80k miles. Its priced at 21k but im sure i could talk them down b/c it has 80k miles and it has premium. I have started a couple threads on getting it even though im 17. I want to say that this IS the car im going to get so please no "your too young to have a car like this". I work my a$$ off to pay for things like this and Ive been driving a beater a for a while now. If you guys could please look at the carfax that would be awsome. Also a price range I should talk to them about.
thanks
Jake
http://www.newportlexus.com/VehicleD...-CA/1160279623
I ran an autocheck and it looks clean on all accounts. 1 owner lease. Offer $20k. GL!
Old 10-13-11, 10:32 AM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

thats priced pretty high for the mileage imo. I wouldnt pay more than 18. too bad you're in cali. theres this if u wanna ship it which wouldnt cost no more than 7-900 i'm sure. 47k miles for 16500. only catch is that it has a rebuilt title. but the car looks clean http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/2629310035.html
Old 10-13-11, 10:34 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Too much for such high mileage. And it doesn't even have nav.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

Just a few I found with a 2 minute search on Autotrader. Obviously haven't compared each down to every option, but clearly there are better options out there.

For perspective, my Certified 2007 IS350 with 56k miles was $24,500. Yes this is one year newer, but it's only a 250, has 30k more miles (putting it out of all warranty, whereas mine had powertrain left), mine had nav and luxury package, AND it was Certified, adding at least $1000 to the price.

Carfax looks fine but it's worthless, frankly. Check Autocheck as well as the Lexus dealer service history: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...e-threads.html

Finally, I'm not making the "you're too young for this car" argument, I'm going to make the "this isn't the right car for your budget" argument. If you've been saving your "a$$" off for this car, that tells me you don't have a cushion of a few thousand in case repairs are needed or problems arise, which is absolutely imperative on a Lexus, particularly one that's entirely out of all warranties. If you have the carbon build-up problem or the cam gear issue arise, will you have $1600-2000 laying around to fix it?

$21,000 buys quite a few brand new cars, and quite a few extremely nice cars with very low mileage and years of warranty. Think carefully.

Last edited by calvin2376; 10-13-11 at 10:38 AM.
Old 10-13-11, 10:37 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by RDIS250AWD
thats priced pretty high for the mileage imo. I wouldnt pay more than 18. too bad you're in cali. theres this if u wanna ship it which wouldnt cost no more than 7-900 i'm sure. 47k miles for 16500. only catch is that it has a rebuilt title. but the car looks clean http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/2629310035.html
In the links I posted above, I left out ones that said salvage or rebuilt - there were quite a few. I personally would never touch them. But at the price range you're looking most every car will be out of warranty anyway.
Old 10-13-11, 10:39 AM
jakehz
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys, the car is in my budget ill have around 2k a month left over for repairs or anything else.
Old 10-13-11, 10:40 AM
jakehz
Driver School Candidate

oh and the cars has 3 year 100k miles warranty
Old 10-13-11, 10:42 AM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by calvin2376
In the links I posted above, I left out ones that said salvage or rebuilt - there were quite a few. I personally would never touch them. But at the price range you're looking most every car will be out of warranty anyway.
agreed i would never buy a car without a clean title either. and if i'm having to take out a loan for a car i wouldnt buy one unless it was certified, warranty etc.. but people have budgets, limits, etc so just thought i'd throw it out there
Old 10-13-11, 10:55 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by jakehz
oh and the cars has 3 year 100k miles warranty
There's something quite fishy about this. The body text of the listing says:

"INCLUDES: The Lexus 3 Yr. or 100K Warranty, Lexus Road Side Assistance, No Charge First service, Loaners, special financing and so much more*ONLY 1 OWNER, We just had a CERTIFIED COMPLETE service done so you don't have to pay for it after purchase."

This I assume is where you're seeing the warranty info. This is written to lead you to believe the car is a Certified Pre-Owned Lexus with the 3 year/100k mile Certified Lexus warranty.

But it can't have that.

From Lexus' CPO website:

"Not all pre-owned Lexus vehicles are worthy of the coveted Lexus Certified Pre-Owned designation—only the best. If a model is older than six years or driven for more than 70,000 miles, it's immediately rejected. No exceptions."

So despite whatever they write, this is not and cannot be a Certified Lexus and does not come with a 3 year/100k mile Lexus CPO warranty.

The ONLY type of warranty this car could come with then is a VSA warranty or an aftermarket non-Lexus warranty.

I have never seen a Lexus sold already with a VSA warranty. They're not transferable to commercial entities, so it couldn't be sold with the previous owner's warranty. So it would have to be that the dealership will pay for the cost of a VSA warranty for you. I have never, ever heard of this happening, and I don't even know if it's possible. The cost of that warranty would probably be around $2000, so I find it unlikely the dealership has done this. Furthermore, there are 3 different VSA warranties - Platinum, Gold, and Powertrain - of varying coverage level and cost. It makes no mention of which it is. If it's just powertrain, that's significantly less valuable than the CPO warranty.

In any case, it's a clear example of intentionally false advertising, calling it Certified. Call the dealership and find out what's going on.
Old 10-13-11, 11:02 AM
MyIS350G
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damn almost $22K for 78,116miles with no nav.. you can find much nicer IS for that price
Old 10-13-11, 11:21 AM
funglenn
Lead Lap

Alot of those aftermarket warranties are crap and don't cover much. my brother just had his engine blowing up rejected....beware. I paid 22 for a 40K and a Nav. this is too much walk away.

I'm going second the "this isn't the right car for your budget" argument--I have seen people overbuy then get stuck when a catastrophic thing happens--like an engine. At 80K miles you should be paid off and enjoying no car note. are you really going to finance this thing through around 120K miles? That is crazy.

Not trying to hate here, just help.
Old 10-13-11, 11:30 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by funglenn
Alot of those aftermarket warranties are crap and don't cover much. my brother just had his engine blowing up rejected....beware. I paid 22 for a 40K and a Nav. this is too much walk away.

I'm going second the "this isn't the right car for your budget" argument--I have seen people overbuy then get stuck when a catastrophic thing happens--like an engine. At 80K miles you should be paid off and enjoying no car note. are you really going to finance this thing through around 120K miles? That is crazy.

Not trying to hate here, just help.
Just to be clear I don't know that it has an aftermarket warranty, but I do know it doesn't have a CPO one. OP needs to call them to find out.

And I haven't seen on here if he's planning to try and finance, but I don't see that as possible on a used $20k car with 80k miles and no warranty. If you're thinking about that, please please don't.
Old 10-13-11, 11:34 AM
TTechLexus
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too much money, get a newer one with nav for that price
Old 10-13-11, 11:43 AM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Like everyone above have said, price is too high. A year ago, I bought an '07 IS350 for $20,300 at a dealer. It had heated/cooled seats but was a base model pretty much like the one you found. Mine had 49,270 miles when I found it and was under warranty. Your car is out of basic and powertrain warranty. I'm glad I purchased mine under warranty cause I visited the dealer three times for warranty work. Another trip in the near future cause of two more problems I got right now. Wait for other cars to pop up or buy from another place and have someone look at it for you. If not, I wouldn't give them more than $18,000 for that thing.

Some examples I found near me:
'09 IS250 AWD for $19,995 with 69k miles: http://autos.yahoo.com/used-cars/lex...s&distance=100
'07 IS250 RWD for $17,995 with 67k miles: http://autos.yahoo.com/used-cars/lex...s&distance=100
'06 IS350 RWD for $19,995 with 80k miles and NAV: http://autos.yahoo.com/used-cars/lex...s&distance=100

Just some examples of what you could be getting instead for the price.

Last edited by chi123; 10-13-11 at 11:52 AM.
Old 10-13-11, 11:45 AM
slavver01
Driver School Candidate

Just for perspective, I'm in MA, got a 06 black navi is250 AWD with 57k miles for $17.7k. It was private sale tho not dealer.

Quick Reply: Can you guys help me out and check out this 250