IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Need tips for new project

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-11, 09:59 PM
dillon1493
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need tips for new project

It's my first real post on here since the first one was to buy an exhaust off another member.
My car is a 2006 is250.

Anyway, I'm going to do a few more things and need some tips and a review.

First off, I wanted to black out my housings. So my question is what kind of paint do I use? Do I need to put a primer on or base coat? Sorry for the dumb questions but I have never really painted before. I guess asking what coats of paint do I put on from bottom to top.

The next thing was halos. I know it's a bimmer thing but I just want something to pull the front of my car together and personally I think it looks great on our cars. Well the question is, what makes better halos: CCFL or LED? If you know of a site that sells good quality of either ones you suggest please post.

Finally, I want to do a HID conversion kit. I wanted to know if the jlc lighting kits are any good as opposed to other conversion kits that might cost much more. If anyone knows of any that won't cost too much or has any reviews for the kits from jlc lighting please let me know.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...tings-com.html

That's a post of the jlc kits

Thanks for all the help
Old 10-17-11, 10:03 PM
600rr05
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i bought my HID kit from ddmtuning.com lifetime warrantee and cost about 50-50 bucks for the pair. Not sure on the other 2 questions you asked. welcome to the forum also try searching because i know both of those other topics have been brought up
Old 10-17-11, 10:12 PM
TTechLexus
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I blacked out the headlights on my 4runner and used Krylon flat paint for plastic, no prep needed.

Just ordered my HID from ddmtuning.com, bought my last one from there with no problems.

http://www.luxurymods.com/ccflangele...s250is350.aspx
Old 10-17-11, 10:13 PM
dillon1493
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the website. Going to compare and wait to see if any reviews pop up. And I'm going to search around the forums, just wanted to get answers while I'm looking for them.
Old 10-17-11, 10:16 PM
dillon1493
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TTechLexus
I blacked out the headlights on my 4runner and used Krylon flat paint for plastic, no prep needed.

Just ordered my HID from ddmtuning.com, bought my last one from there with no problems.

http://www.luxurymods.com/ccflangele...s250is350.aspx
Thanks! Looks like ddmtuning is where I might get my kit from. It doesn't matter where I get the paint from right? sorry for sounding dumb once again. Still learning.
Old 10-17-11, 10:19 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Most recently, I painted my friend's Genesis Coupe headlights with Krylon Fusion Primer and then Krylon Fusion Gloss Black. I painted mine a month back with Dupli-Color Black Chrome kit. I wouldn't suggest using it. Too lights coats, it'll look green but lots of coats, it's red a certain angles. The Krylon paint worked well just that it can be a little better. Just do light coats until you reach the look you like and put a moderate even coat over that.

Halos, I installed CCFL halos on my fogs. They got messed up in two weeks from water getting into the ballasts. Something I hated was that the rings all have a point where it's not lit where the tube starts and ends. LEDs are great, I have them right now in my fogs. They look much better but it creates a "pebble" effect since the LEDs are separated which I hate. I also fear that the LEDs may burn out and I need to open the housings again. I got mine off eBay. The sizes for the fogs are 70mm and the low beams are 80mm halos.

I gotten through a few HID kits. I first had HIDeXtra, then eBay ones, and now Mod-Express. Every brand has some problems and complaints. If you got $120 to spend on HIDs, get a Volt kit. My friend got one and the quality is really good.
Old 10-17-11, 10:25 PM
dillon1493
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chi123
Most recently, I painted my friend's Genesis Coupe headlights with Krylon Fusion Primer and then Krylon Fusion Gloss Black. I painted mine a month back with Dupli-Color Black Chrome kit. I wouldn't suggest using it. Too lights coats, it'll look green but lots of coats, it's red a certain angles. The Krylon paint worked well just that it can be a little better. Just do light coats until you reach the look you like and put a moderate even coat over that.

Halos, I installed CCFL halos on my fogs. They got messed up in two weeks from water getting into the ballasts. Something I hated was that the rings all have a point where it's not lit where the tube starts and ends. LEDs are great, I have them right now in my fogs. They look much better but it creates a "pebble" effect since the LEDs are separated which I hate. I also fear that the LEDs may burn out and I need to open the housings again. I got mine off eBay. The sizes for the fogs are 70mm and the low beams are 80mm halos.

I gotten through a few HID kits. I first had HIDeXtra, then eBay ones, and now Mod-Express. Every brand has some problems and complaints. If you got $120 to spend on HIDs, get a Volt kit. My friend got one and the quality is really good.
Thanks for all the advice. I'll look into other options for paint if no one else gives me more options. I've seen the volt kit, it was a little pricey to me( just considering the others like jlc selling for 75 ) but like the saying goes "you get what you paid for". Thanks again.
Old 10-17-11, 10:30 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dillon1493
Thanks for all the advice. I'll look into other options for paint if no one else gives me more options. I've seen the volt kit, it was a little pricey to me( just considering the others like jlc selling for 75 ) but like the saying goes "you get what you paid for". Thanks again.
Same here, I got my first HID for $40. It worked fine but I wanted to change colors. I did eBay kits but they flickered like crazy. I did another eBay kit but it flickered too but not as much. Then I got bulbs from Mod-Express but they blew out and I got replacements sent though. I never could spend $120 on HIDs but after seeing how good they were, I decided it's best to sum up the money and get a good kit and not deal with spending on cheaper kits looking for a good one only to be disappointed.
Old 10-17-11, 10:34 PM
dillon1493
Driver School Candidate

600rr05 and TTechLexus, for an is250, I know the bulb size is h11 (correct me if I'm wrong) and I know the color I want. I was looking through the selection of kits from ddmtuning and wanted to know if I have to get any of the other options they give like: HID Harness, Error Code Eliminator or Adaptor Cables?
Old 10-17-11, 10:38 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

about your housing painting, from the sounds of it i assume DIY? also your questions about paint lead me to believe you've never cracked a headlight open before? I really really suggest you do your research first on how to open a headlight first, do not go by the first site you google, read thur a bunch of sites first, the more sites you read the more knowledge you'll have.
Old 10-17-11, 10:39 PM
dillon1493
Driver School Candidate

Same here, I got my first HID for $40. It worked fine but I wanted to change colors. I did eBay kits but they flickered like crazy. I did another eBay kit but it flickered too but not as much. Then I got bulbs from Mod-Express but they blew out and I got replacements sent though. I never could spend $120 on HIDs but after seeing how good they were, I decided it's best to sum up the money and get a good kit and not deal with spending on cheaper kits looking for a good one only to be disappointed.
I think I'm just too impatient. But knowing myself I will probably go for a cheaper kit with any good reviews at first, and if that fails probably would save up for the volt like you said.
Old 10-17-11, 10:42 PM
dillon1493
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
about your housing painting, from the sounds of it i assume DIY? also your questions about paint lead me to believe you've never cracked a headlight open before? I really really suggest you do your research first on how to open a headlight first, do not go by the first site you google, read thur a bunch of sites first, the more sites you read the more knowledge you'll have.
Yes it's a DIY, I'm trying to do most of the projects on my car myself. I have researched, and from what I've learned you bake it at 300 degrees for like 10 minutes. I would probably pop open a DIY thread before I do it anyway just to be 100% sure. Thanks for the concern!
Old 10-17-11, 10:45 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dillon1493
600rr05 and TTechLexus, for an is250, I know the bulb size is h11 (correct me if I'm wrong) and I know the color I want. I was looking through the selection of kits from ddmtuning and wanted to know if I have to get any of the other options they give like: HID Harness, Error Code Eliminator or Adaptor Cables?
You don't need any of that for our cars. Just the H11 HID kit alone is all you need.
Old 10-17-11, 10:52 PM
dillon1493
Driver School Candidate

You don't need any of that for our cars. Just the H11 HID kit alone is all you need.
Alright sounds good. Thanks chi
Old 10-17-11, 10:52 PM
LamTheSham
Pole Position

Check out kbcarstuff and PM XenonDepot for their HID kits! They sell Volt Kits on there, and I believe they're still having their 60% off sale + free shipping. I just recently got new bulbs from them and all my friends love em. Haha. They turn on the same color as OEM HiDs, turn pretty blue, then fade into the 6000k look. They're great! Plus, customer service was great - shipping was a little slow, but they're in Canada, so I'm not complaining. Heh.

Quick Reply: Need tips for new project