IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

tire low pressure light and new wheels

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-11, 09:49 AM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default tire low pressure light and new wheels

i just put on a set of 19'' f-sport wheels, they came with Lexus tpms installed, but the seller told me i may have to go to dealer to have them initialized. anyway, i didn't get any warning light yesterday, but today the tire low pressure light came on. i checked the pressure of all four tires, they're all good. does this warning light also indicate that i need the new tpms to be initialized?
Old 10-18-11, 10:15 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

yes, your new TPMS sensors need to be initialized.

typically, dealerships can (for a considerable fee), though certain large retail tire outlets might be able to.

i'd call around and find out.
Old 10-18-11, 10:47 AM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

If you have a Discount Tire near by, I'd call them up to see if they can do it.
Old 10-18-11, 11:28 AM
stlgrym3
Racer

so tpms and low tire pressure share the same warning light? any idea how much dealer will charge for this? or if they even willing to do it since i didn't have them install in a lexus dealer.
Old 10-18-11, 11:42 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

the light came on because the tpms are not set for your car so the car thinks you have low tire pressure.
Old 10-18-11, 12:03 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

dealer wants $135 to reset the tpms sensor. wow
Old 10-18-11, 12:23 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Some place near You do it for only about $50. Let me ask my guys and let you know.
Or you could ask any local tire shop (especially Mexican shop)
Old 10-18-11, 01:15 PM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On my 2010 vert, if I don't have my car set for the appropriate wheel set, the only warning light I get is a blinking TPMS light in the lower right of the cluster for about 1 minute, then it goes solid.

I do NOT get any warning message in the center of the cluster, which I believe differed from earlier 2IS's.

I wonder why you're getting TPMS low though, cause I thought that message only showed if you actually had the appropriate set programmed to the car????

Also, FYI: if your original sensors are nearby, the car can actually sense them when you start the vehicle. Also, the car doesn't continually monitor the sensors. I know I can sometimes go 20-25 minutes on the wrong set of wheels before ever getting my flashing TPMS light.....sometimes even if I started the car nowhere near the programmed sensors.
Old 10-18-11, 01:18 PM
mikes rx

Now onto the part about getting them programmed. If it has the newer version of the TPMS, I believe the sensors can be "read" from outside the wheel/tire.

Of course, this is a moot point if the original seller gave you the TPMS codes off the sensor itself.
Old 10-18-11, 01:20 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Originally Posted by mikes rx
On my 2010 vert, if I don't have my car set for the appropriate wheel set, the only warning light I get is a blinking TPMS light in the lower right of the cluster for about 1 minute, then it goes solid.

I do NOT get any warning message in the center of the cluster, which I believe differed from earlier 2IS's.

I wonder why you're getting TPMS low though, cause I thought that message only showed if you actually had the appropriate set programmed to the car????

Also, FYI: if your original sensors are nearby, the car can actually sense them when you start the vehicle. Also, the car doesn't continually monitor the sensors. I know I can sometimes go 20-25 minutes on the wrong set of wheels before ever getting my flashing TPMS light.....sometimes even if I started the car nowhere near the programmed sensors.
are these two lights the same thing? mine flashes for a few seconds and then goes into solid.
Old 10-18-11, 01:35 PM
mikes rx

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
are these two lights the same thing? mine flashes for a few seconds and then goes into solid.
In my instance, no not the same. TPMS low warning usually shows up on the multi-function display between the tach and the speedo, and will say "tire low" or something along those lines. (at least, that's what it did on my 06 when I had it.....maybe someone with a more current model can confirm for the 09+ years)

EDIT: MY OWNER'S MANUAL INDICATES THAT THERE ARE NO TPMS MESSAGES TO DISPLAY IN THE CENTER DISPLAY......instead, solid = tpms low, blinking x 1 minute then solid = TPMS malfunction
This is definitely different than what my 06 sedan did.

So, if you're getting the latter then yes you need to get the TPMS programmed and/or set the <0> switch on the dash accordingly (either main or 2nd depending on how you get it programmed).

Hope that all made sense LOL

Last edited by mikes rx; 10-18-11 at 04:57 PM. Reason: error correction
Old 10-18-11, 02:24 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Originally Posted by mikes rx
In my instance, no not the same. TPMS low warning usually shows up on the multi-function display between the tach and the speedo, and will say "tire low" or something along those lines. (at least, that's what it did on my 06 when I had it.....maybe someone with a more current model can confirm for the 09+ years)

The blinking light which then goes solid is (in my instance) saying that the TPMS aren't being recognized/read.

So, if you're getting the latter then yes you need to get the TPMS programmed and/or set the <0> switch on the dash accordingly (either main or 2nd depending on how you get it programmed).

Sorry I can't be more specific regarding TPMS low message: I haven't had that issue come up (to my knowledge) in my 2010 yet.

Hope that all made sense LOL
ummm, it's interesting, because when i had my oem wheels last week, i saw the same "TPMS" light showing up solid (not on the multi-functional display, but at the lower right corner of the cluster) and it was indeed for low pressure on one of the tires. and now i'm getting the same light and i just checked this morning all four tires have same pressure.
Old 10-18-11, 04:50 PM
mikes rx

Indeed you are correct. I just looked at my owner's manual.

It says if light comes on (with no flash), a tire is low.
If light flashes for 1 minute, then remains lit, there is a TPMS malfunction (which I know includes the system not recognizing the sensors)

They apparently changed the whole warning system for TPMS then, cause I remember on my 06 it would flash the warning triangle and specifically state tire low in the center display, and I believe it would do something similar if no TPMS were recognized by the system......the latter is what led to people making the TPMS canister in the trunk to house the factory sensors in a pressurized chamber to eliminate the annoying TPMS warning that would always remain on in the center display.

PS/note: the ISC manual is specific for that model, so it's always possible by some weird reason that the sedans are different

Last edited by mikes rx; 10-18-11 at 04:57 PM.
Old 10-18-11, 08:51 PM
CleanIS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do u still have ur old tpms sensor? Just do the tpms canister/ bomb, read up on it works like a charm
Old 10-18-11, 08:58 PM
dackp143
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CleanIS
Do u still have ur old tpms sensor? Just do the tpms canister/ bomb, read up on it works like a charm
This is the funniest **** in the world::::
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...pipe-bomb.html

"Now take your new friend for a ride. I let him ride shotgun since he is so pimp looking" ~~!!LOL!!

Quick Reply: tire low pressure light and new wheels