IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Girl backed into my 2011 IS250 =[

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-11, 12:14 AM
PetesSweet
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

B.i.t.c.h.e.s ain't s.h.i.t. But h.o.e.s. and tricks!!
Old 10-21-11, 12:36 AM
studphanie
Driver School Candidate

Wow I would have cried.................
Old 10-21-11, 12:47 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

First of all, the bumpers/body dont match when it comes from the factory, take a good look you'll see... AND~ i've had my rear bumper replaced not by the stealership but a reputable shop here and it dont match... our tri color paint jobs are impossible to match hell the factory cant match it so don't expect a 'shop' to be able to match it... funny thing thou my Tom's lip came prepainted and it matched, guess you get Tom's in japan to paint your bumper
Old 10-21-11, 12:59 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

^

Yes that is true, they don't quite match, however it is the only closest thing that can only match factory paint, is the factory paint. Also, the paint thickness, if using a paint gauge, the factory paint's thickness will be thinner and more consistant throughout the body panel itself compared to a body shop painting it by hand which would have a wider range besides being thicker, which why I said up to 30% less on the robot.

When it comes to repainting, one auto body shop rep told me, you don't want to mess with the factory paint and there is more likely a very good reason for that.

Last edited by Sango; 10-21-11 at 01:03 AM.
Old 10-21-11, 05:22 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Was she hot?
Old 10-21-11, 05:27 AM
lapdrn
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here in Los Angeles, they don't repair them, they replace them w/c is good. Our RX was rear ended too, they replace the bumper. Saves time too
Old 10-21-11, 05:45 AM
Daisy81
Driver School Candidate

On the bright side you can still say you have had under $2500 worth of body work on the car. However even still with a car wrecked at two months of I would sue for depreciation because you'll never get all of the value back from her blunder even if her insurance does pay for you to fix it. Not to mention if there are hidden damages that has not yet been discovered. I’d almost be tempted to make her insurance buy the car and give you a new one or one just like it with no more than the same mileage (good luck at 2k miles lol )
Old 10-21-11, 07:09 AM
TaYLoRGanG
Driver

and No she wasn't hot at all ahahaha but the funny thing is that the girl is in my Eng 101 class so i get to see the ******* who ruined my car 3 days of the week =[ I go to USCU. My heart stopped beating when i heard the bang, I'm still in shock from the accident couldn't believe such a thing. Yaa I guess ill just have to find out and see for the final results. As long as its close where you wouldn't be able to tell with a naked eye. Ill call my local Lexus for further details and pics will be posted up today. Stay tuned. Thanks for the support, haha i wished they got me a new car but ill try to talk to her insurance to get some compensation or something.
Old 10-21-11, 07:28 AM
SC400MAN
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I backed into someone with my Supra, the body shop said that sometimes a small tear in the cover Could be repaired, sometimes not, so I replaced the cover. Not that much more expensive.. On my wife's IS, she backed into something minor and a good body shop repainted it. The color is fine, but the amount of "metal flake" in it is different. The car is Smokey Granite. No one else would notice but I do.
Old 10-21-11, 07:30 AM
Daisy81
Driver School Candidate

If you do go for depreciation go to car max first and get a trade in quote for the car and then ask for the reasoning for the quoted price. That way you will have in writing that it is worth less because of the bumper. CarMax will probably spot the body work on their own. Otherwise the insurance won't give you squat.
Old 10-21-11, 07:31 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bum luck dude
Old 10-21-11, 07:38 AM
TaYLoRGanG
Driver

Oh thats a good idea to show them that has lost significant value. Would i get a quote of the car before its repaired or just ask them what the quote would be for my particular car after it has been involved in a accident and bumper and such has been fixed?
Old 10-21-11, 08:04 AM
TaYLoRGanG
Driver

Im not even sure if the insurance would do that. Because its not like if it was totaled, does anybody know that the insurance would just work with you for the price of that vehicle after repairs and a price of the vehicle same condition to yours but without any accident, to see that it has loss value? and maybe they can just give you a reasonable price of its value.
Old 10-21-11, 08:07 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Are you willing to pay for a new pre-painted bumper from the factory?
Old 10-21-11, 08:12 AM
Daisy81
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TaYLoRGanG
Oh thats a good idea to show them that has lost significant value. Would i get a quote of the car before its repaired or just ask them what the quote would be for my particular car after it has been involved in a accident and bumper and such has been fixed?
You have to get the quote after it has been repaired. Because if you do it before the insurance company will claim they fixed it so it's not worth that little anymore which is true. But CarMax will pick up on the discoloration because the bumpers won't match or if the back is a little shinier. They might even pick up on the fact that the back bumper is hand painted where the rest of the car is machine painted.

At least there is no frame damage so you won't have to feel the pain of seams that don't line up or shoddy welding.

I have experience with this exact thing because I've been in a few accidents that were not my fault. One I got rear ended at a red light while I was stopped. The other was a lovely person trying to pass me on an exit lane and clipping me coming back over when I had my 2010 Honda Fit Sport. It was in the same situation as you are and I was pissed. My car at the time wasn't worth nearly as much as a IS but I got $2000 in depreciation after repairs because of the fact that I can no longer say the car is in excellent condition because I couldn’t say the car had under $2500 in body work. That alone no matter how good the repair (I couldn't see anything and I have a very trained eye) you get the depreciation money.

One tactic to get this money if you want to play hard ball is to reject the car repairs and make them do it again if it isn't 100% perfect when they try to give it back to you. You have the right of refusal if it isn't a quality repair. Nothing says you should have just totaled the car and gave me the money then making them fix it not once, not twice but three times. That's what happened with my car that was rear ended. It was a 2002 Honda Civic Coupe. A 2005 Highlander rear ended me and pushed me into the oncoming car. I don't mean push as in the impact sent me into the car in front but she pushed me in because she was going so fast.

My car was at the time worth about $12k. The car was wasted but her insurance USAA wanted to repair it. I found out halfway through the repair they were using aftermarket parts and I threw a fit and had them strip all the aftermarket parts, some of them already painted, off the car and use OEM. Then they damaged other parts of the car while fixing the car and had to repair it. With the rental for two months they spent $23,000 repairing a $12,000 car. I bet the insurance rep hated me by the end. The last thing I gave her was a CarMax ad for a Honda Civic just like mine with like miles for $12,000 and said I told you so.

Quick Reply: Girl backed into my 2011 IS250 =[