IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

differential oil - is250 awd

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-11, 05:45 AM
irishcharm
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default differential oil - is250 awd

prior to this thread start i did start searching and searching for a definite answer to my question. I have had 3 mixed reviews from my local mechanics and 2 dealerships, as well as a mixture of opinions on this forum so if there is a thread started that answers my question feel free to delete this one and point me in a definite direction. flame suit off.

so I have completed my 60k mile maintenance myself and the only question I had was about the differential oil change. I have an 06 IS250 AWD and im the second owner who just recently was told i had a buldge disc in my back and to stay away from my car work for a while. my question is two fold.....

The Maint. manual says to Replace differential oil (ES 3303, IS), if equipped with an LSD. from what I've seen about the AWD is it has an electronic LSD. Does that mean a non-posi diff with and electronic control? Anyway at the bottom it says - Check Front differential oil (AWD GS 300,
AWD IS 250). Which leaves me pondering what kind of diff does the is250 awd have?

Second. The most mixed reviews I've read/heard was about when to change it. Some say every 2 years like brake fluid, others say never, some say every 100 - 120k miles. And a toyota tech said, start quote "Unless the person was driving an AWD lexus/toyota as a delivery vehicle (Taxi), off roading in a desert, or towing....i never changed differential fluid until 150k." so that being said when should i change it. people have posted up collection of metals on the magnetic bolt but i mean thats what the bolt is there for and there are gears hence the magnetic bolt.

I know ill get a few different answers but if it needs to be done, looks like Ill have to pay for someone else to do this one for me. unless it can be done much later.

Last edited by irishcharm; 10-23-11 at 05:54 AM.
Old 10-23-11, 09:56 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 608 Likes on 405 Posts

First off, no 2IS has an LSD. In the early 2006 owners manuals, it was listed as an option, but they never built any with an LSD. Your car has open differentials, front and rear. (LSD was listed in the NCF book as an option on the IS250 RWD until 2008, but it was never listed in any brochure or option list, and it stopped being listed in the owner's manual after April, 2006. It was never listed in the parts catalog).

Second, I would change the fluid when Lexus says to do it (not when your local dealership says, or when some tech says, when Lexus says). That can either come from their online listing, your owners manual, or any sort of bulletin stating different is released.

For the 2006 IS250 AWD, Lexus says, at 60,000 miles:

Replace the rear differential fluid.
Inspect the front differential fluid (basically check for leaks and/or check the fluid level).

The 06-08 IS250 AWD didn't use the same "Toyota Type LT GL-5 75W85" that the RWD used which doesn't have any listed change interval. It lists "GL-5 85W90" as the fluid for both the front and rear differentials from the factory. If your car was my car, I would change both the front and rear differential fluid at 60,000 miles, there's no harm in changing both, and Lexus does say to change the rear fluid now.

If you want a complete list or other format of the maintenance schedule for your Lexus, I'd recommend checking their website:
USA: https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...ce-schedule.do
Canada: http://www.lexus.ca/lexus/experience...enance_oms.jsp

Jeff
Old 10-23-11, 11:03 AM
irishcharm
Driver

thanks for the reply jeff but the link you listed says to replace the rear and inspect the front.

but in the maintenance manual, from lexus (manuals and resources >maintenance manual >type in my car info > its a pdf version that came with the car, it lists that if the IS has an LSD to replace the fluids. if not it says to inspect the front diff fluid for the is250awd and also just inspect the rear diff fluid for all is series.
Old 10-23-11, 03:12 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

What year was that for? 09+ AWDs use the same rear diffs as RWD models.

Jeff
Old 10-23-11, 05:50 PM
irishcharm
Driver

It's a 2006. Just following the book
Old 10-23-11, 05:58 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Just checked out the book, it's a listing for all 2006 Lexus models, I'd be more inclined to go with what the model-specific Maintenance listing says than the PDF you downloaded.

Either way, whichever is right, you're always safer to change it and not need it, than to need it changed and not do it.

Alternatively, you could always call Lexus and ask them (Lexus corporate customer service), but I'm not 100% sure you'll get an answer that you'll be 100% certain of that way either. :|

Jeff

(PS: This was what I looked at, I assume it's what you were referring to: http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do...HU_MS0007f.pdf)
Old 12-01-11, 10:43 AM
Sharky69
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it ok to use royal purple on the front and back differential on a 06 Lexus IS250 awd
Old 12-01-11, 11:28 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Jeff,

Could this be another US/Canada difference thing?

I know on RWD for example the US manual never calls for a change of differential fluid for the life of the car (just like the transmission)... while the Canada manual differs.
Old 06-27-13, 12:02 PM
rawfish
Pole Position

I don't know why anyone would think its ok not to change the diff fluids. Doesn't matter what kind of LSD it is it still has mechanical parts moving and gears,and with moving parts you get wear and also no fluid will last forever.

I just bought a 07 IS AWD with 100k. just changed the front and rear diff. Rear diff fluid was nasty and looked like nasty sludge. The drain plug has a magnetic pickup and that had about a 1/4 inch of crap on it and took two rags to clean.

Front diff wasn't as bad oil still was transparent draining. Magnet on drain plug had a little build up.

The rear diff is simple. Drain plug on the bottom and fill plug on the right side. Front diff is a little more tricky. The drain plug is on the side and is easy to remove. However the fill plug is in a odd spot and you have to use a 14mm closed end wrench that's a little longer and with more of a S on the head. Don't even try to use a socket, It won't fit because of space. Screwing the fill plug back is also not fun. It's a tight space so depending on your hand size it could be easy or a nightmare! You will have to get the plug in with your fingers then tighten with the wrench.
The following users liked this post:
primavera (10-01-23)