IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

What brand of gas does everyone use?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-11, 04:16 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I've yet to see anyone ever find or demonstrate a measurable difference in performance or longevity by brand of gas, assuming the same octane and the same ethanol content (or lack thereof).

That's not to say that Joes Gas on the corner might not have a tank with water leaking into it, even if it's branded with a famous name of gas... that just means avoid that station, not that brand.

As noted it's all the same gas from the same regional tanks, just marginally different additive packs, and all of em have to meet federal minimums for detergents and such.
Old 10-23-11, 06:41 PM
WIZARD1325
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

A bolt of lighting
Old 10-23-11, 08:11 PM
CCJ22
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use hydrogen.....
Old 10-23-11, 08:41 PM
tanneb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we only have Shell here (I'm from Brunei, and the main drilling company here is Shell). use RON97.
our prices are nuts - BND$0.53 for RON97, and BND0.30 for Diesel
Old 10-23-11, 08:44 PM
jones89
Driver School Candidate

Im from Indiana and I use only shell Premium. Its the best gas for the money. Its $3.33 per gallon here.
Old 10-23-11, 09:01 PM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No need to worry as Kurtz said. I remember watching NBC story on those... the discount gas station is pretty much same as branded stuff.

People prefer Chevron because the have "techron" which cleans the injectors. As long as you stay with 93 octane you should be fine. Shell has "V-Power" which pretty much does the same stuff...

I fill up on Costco, 76, Shell, Chevron... whichever is convenient to me.
Old 10-23-11, 09:09 PM
wslwang
Driver School Candidate

I use Sam's club......
Old 10-24-11, 07:27 PM
jones89
Driver School Candidate

@ kurtz.
i spoke with a marathon representative at my job a few weeks ago. they ran a test on 5 gallons of gas from Shell, marathon, BP, Country mark and Chevron.
basically he told me that the test results showed that Shell and marathon premium were about equivalent (some shell stations still do not use ethanol). Chevron premium used the 10% ethanol mixture as well as BP and CM.
speedway is "unbranded" marathon

as far as diesel goes,
CM and marathon have more C10 in the mix versus the other major fuel stations.

unfortunately, that was all the info i could squeeze outta him before he drove off
Old 10-24-11, 07:33 PM
Rikg35
Lead Lap

No shiny rims, no care..
Old 10-24-11, 07:51 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jones89
@ kurtz.
i spoke with a marathon representative at my job a few weeks ago. they ran a test on 5 gallons of gas from Shell, marathon, BP, Country mark and Chevron.
basically he told me that the test results showed that Shell and marathon premium were about equivalent (some shell stations still do not use ethanol). Chevron premium used the 10% ethanol mixture as well as BP and CM.
speedway is "unbranded" marathon

as far as diesel goes,
CM and marathon have more C10 in the mix versus the other major fuel stations.

unfortunately, that was all the info i could squeeze outta him before he drove off
AFAIK the majority of states they require, by law, the pumps to be labeled for significant ethanol content... you just happen to live in one of the dozen or so that don't.

Among the other 35 or so they'll all have a label if there's 2% or more ethanol, and some will label at even lower levels of it.

As you note though, even within the same brand it might vary from one station to another (your note about some shells not using ethanol, while others do)
Old 10-26-11, 08:25 PM
Dvo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IS2FIFTY
Sunoco 93 Ultra
++1 me dos
Old 10-26-11, 08:31 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by shadowman
People prefer Chevron because the have "techron" which cleans the injectors.

Marketing 1 : Consumer 0

What's funny about all this debate is that the amount of techron they ship to the gas station is negligible. We're talking maybe a gallon or so of techron for every 10,000 gallon. This will get you very little cleaning power. You get a more effective concentration of detergent by throwing a bottle of Techron into your gas tank. My car has seen Chevron gas all its life, and even then my injectors were somewhat clogged. Ran a bottle of Redline cleaning (massive concentration of PEA) and that cleaned the snot out the injectors.

Then again, those people who preach top-tier gas are probably the same people who religiously use synthetic oil because regular dino oil couldn't possibly get their engine safely to 200k+ miles.
Old 12-02-12, 09:55 AM
rmd5062
Driver School Candidate

i work as a technician in terminals where gasoline is loaded into tanker trucks to go to the stations to refill their tanks for customers. The difference in what we call branded and unbranded gasolines is the type of injector cleaner used and the amount. All gas stations in a given area of the country receive the same blend of gasoline to burn to meet emission requirements for that region and ethanol is added if needed. The old days when gas A had its own blend and gas B had its own do not exist in today's world thanks to the EPA (at least in the part of the world where I work). Most of the branded gasolines have developed their own injector cleaners that are to be used when loading the trucks like Techron for an example. Top Tier gasolines are ones that have been tested by an independent lab to verify the manufacturer's claim that their long term use does help keep injectors clean.
Old 12-02-12, 10:08 AM
RVCAis250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Chevron or Shell!
Old 12-02-12, 10:24 AM
djinsik
Driver School Candidate

chevron 4 life

Quick Reply: What brand of gas does everyone use?