IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Auto Down Shift in "S" Mode

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-11, 11:28 AM
yoegster
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Down Shift in "S" Mode

I was driving an IS-F the other day and the car's transmission automatically down-shifted, including to 1st, when in S Mode. I tried today in my IS350 and nothing. Anyone know if this is something that can be programmed.
Old 10-23-11, 11:32 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The IS-F's transmission allows it to be shifted like a manual using the paddle shifters. However, on the ISx50's, its simply a top gear limiter. Whatever gear you have it in, the car won't shift past that gear, but it will shift freely between any gears below it.

I don't think anyone has been able to mod this into a ISx50 yet, probably because it would require reprogramming the computer to allow the transmission to do so.
Old 10-23-11, 11:33 AM
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

The IS250/350 use shift limiters that automatically shift up to whatever gear you select. For example if you set it to 4 the car will shift automatically but will never go past 4th gear. Only the IS-F will shift when you use the paddles.

Edit: Killa beat me to the punch! =D
Old 10-23-11, 12:47 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by yoegster
I was driving an IS-F the other day and the car's transmission automatically down-shifted, including to 1st, when in S Mode. I tried today in my IS350 and nothing. Anyone know if this is something that can be programmed.
eh? Automatic shifting is one thing that people don't want....and I am not quite understanding your question.

My IS250 also downshifts automatically in S mode.
Old 10-23-11, 12:52 PM
JohnLX300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My IS250 only does it when it is in 6th gear. If I am on the highway and want to pass someone, I put it into shiftable mode by moving the stick over, it goes down to 4th every time. In other cars I've been in it stays in the same gear until you shift it.
Old 10-23-11, 01:27 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

U surely mean regardless of the speed of the car?

You can downshift all you want by limiting the top end.
you cannot however upshift to any gear you want because there is no practical application other than the intent of killing your transmission. For example if you are going 5mph, why would you even want to shift to the 6th gear?
Old 10-23-11, 01:32 PM
rookieIS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JohnLX300
My IS250 only does it when it is in 6th gear. If I am on the highway and want to pass someone, I put it into shiftable mode by moving the stick over, it goes down to 4th every time. In other cars I've been in it stays in the same gear until you shift it.
are you sure it drops to 4th? i think mine stay at 6 when i switch from D to S and i just use the paddle shifters to shift down and up
Old 10-23-11, 02:00 PM
Pnthrzrule
Pit Crew

In my experience the car does downshift to 4 when you move over to S mode. I can tell because the the rpm's increase slightly.

Last edited by Pnthrzrule; 10-23-11 at 02:02 PM. Reason: needed to add 4
Old 10-23-11, 03:22 PM
yoegster
Driver

The IS-F, drops the gears to 1 (at a stop) if you don't shift down. Much different paddle shift experience that I wish was a "mod" or "re-program" for the IS X50. Oh well....
Old 10-23-11, 09:27 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnLX300
Originally Posted by rookieIS
are you sure it drops to 4th? i think mine stay at 6 when i switch from D to S and i just use the paddle shifters to shift down and up
By default, going into Sport mode sets the top gear at 4, unless that would put the car passed the redline.
Old 10-24-11, 08:36 AM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

Smile

I'm sure you mean exactly the opposite of what you wrote. An IS-F will not downshift automatically in S mode only the IS-250, 300 and 350 does that.

Your IS 350 though will down shift automatically. Just hit the display button on your steering wheel to show you the actual gears.
Old 10-24-11, 10:22 AM
Stylnhonda
Lexus Test Driver

This car is my first automatic.....is it safe to down shift using the paddle shifters while in S mode? I know all about RPM's and being "safe." But is it hard on the automatic tranny to downshift with the paddleshifters say when your coming to a light.
Old 10-24-11, 10:31 AM
rookieIS
Lexus Champion

^ I think the car automatically downshifts itself and shifts up to whatever gear you set it to (4 by default)
Old 10-24-11, 10:34 AM
Hoac
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Stylnhonda
This car is my first automatic.....is it safe to down shift using the paddle shifters while in S mode? I know all about RPM's and being "safe." But is it hard on the automatic tranny to downshift with the paddleshifters say when your coming to a light.
You can play around with the paddle shifters all that you want and it wont' hurt your car. Even though you are telling it to downshift the computer still handels everything. As for using it for engine breaking, it will not harm the car, but it puts alot of stress on the tranny. If you think about the the tranny is ment to keep you moving forward, your breaks and designed to turn kinetic energy into heat. I want to keep my tranny is optimal condition for as long as possible, however break pads i'm willing to replace whenever they need it.
Old 10-25-11, 03:56 PM
yoegster
Driver

The IS-F DownShifts to first gear at a stop if you don't touch the paddle. When in S Mode, my 11 IS350 isn't showing a reduction in gears (ex. 4, 3, 3, 1) unless I shift it.

Quick Reply: Auto Down Shift in "S" Mode