IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Newbie looking for advice (Buying an IS)

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-11, 04:15 PM
HSTexan
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome! Thanks!
Old 10-25-11, 04:19 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't see the dash rattle TSIB being performed anywhere on there. It's a thing almost all 2IS's suffer from, so if you do decide to get the car, take it for a bit of a drive and see if you notice any dash rattling. It's not a cheap ($1k+) fix to do out of warranty.
Old 10-25-11, 05:39 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
I don't see the dash rattle TSIB being performed anywhere on there. It's a thing almost all 2IS's suffer from, so if you do decide to get the car, take it for a bit of a drive and see if you notice any dash rattling. It's not a cheap ($1k+) fix to do out of warranty.
I also didn't see the dash rattle, or any other rattle TSIBs performed, which is worrisome since they affect pretty much every 2IS, are extremely irritating and cost $1000+ to fix

Correct me if I'm wrong but I also didn't see the cam gear TSIB performed. This also affects pretty much every 2IS and costs $1600 out of warranty. It manifests as a grinding/cranking noise on startup (search CL for engine cranking startup for the thread on it).

I did see water pump replaced which is common for cars getting close to 100k.

I also think I saw all the relevant recalls performed.

I am very concerned about the cam gear and dash TSIBs though.
Old 10-25-11, 05:43 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Calvin, i don't see the Cam Gear TSIB either. Hmmm.

There's also a couple instances where the dealership seems to have been unable to replicate reported problems. Makes me wonder if those problems where ever fixed?!
Old 10-25-11, 05:47 PM
HSTexan
Driver

From what I read in those threads you posted those are technically both just nuisance issues? I know obviously the dash rattle is one of them, but I recall reading the cam gear issue was only produced the noise upon startup and then disappeared and that it had no real impact on the car?

Either way I'd prefer they were done and I'll have to talk to the dealer about both of those. Luckily it seems all of the service was performed at one dealer so perhaps I'd be able to give them a call with the VIN and talk to them about it. If they are anything like the local dealer I used they should hopefully remember the car and owner.
Old 10-25-11, 06:48 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by btmar
....but I recall reading the cam gear issue was only produced the noise upon startup and then disappeared and that it had no real impact on the car?
It does it on startup and occasionally on engine shut down. No issue, but they did say it can be a performance/reliability issue so they would fix if if the car has this symptom. It does not hurt the car because the cam gear has a bit too much free play so depending on the oil pressure, it would do that randomly. With the updated cam gears, they are tighter in tolerance which prevents this from occurring.
Old 10-25-11, 08:12 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

From what I read in those threads you posted those are technically both just nuisance issues? I know obviously the dash rattle is one of them, but I recall reading the cam gear issue was only produced the noise upon startup and then disappeared and that it had no real impact on the car?

Either way I'd prefer they were done and I'll have to talk to the dealer about both of those. Luckily it seems all of the service was performed at one dealer so perhaps I'd be able to give them a call with the VIN and talk to them about it. If they are anything like the local dealer I used they should hopefully remember the car and owner.
Also of note- you can do the dash TSIB yourself with like 5 bucks in parts.

The $1000 cost is the time to take the dash apart and put it back together... it's not hard to do yourself over a weekend, just time consuming.
Old 10-25-11, 08:54 PM
HSTexan
Driver

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Also of note- you can do the dash TSIB yourself with like 5 bucks in parts.

The $1000 cost is the time to take the dash apart and put it back together... it's not hard to do yourself over a weekend, just time consuming.
That's not too bad. I do enjoy projects, so it doesn't sound too bad. Is there a write-up someone did of it? Also, is the cam issue one that would be extremely noticeable when I turned on the car or would I need to be standing outside while someone else turned it on?
Old 10-25-11, 09:16 PM
calvin2376
Racer

That's not too bad. I do enjoy projects, so it doesn't sound too bad. Is there a write-up someone did of it? Also, is the cam issue one that would be extremely noticeable when I turned on the car or would I need to be standing outside while someone else turned it on?
It would be noticeable both inside the car and outside, without question. When you see or test the car, make sure each time you start it up you listen carefully - not that it's quiet or hard to hear, just make sure you're paying attention and the salesman isn't babbling on.

Keep in mind it doesn't happen on every startup. In some cases itll happen almost every time, other cases it will happen 1 out of 10 starts.
Old 10-26-11, 03:14 PM
HSTexan
Driver

As luck would have it a very similar car showed up for sale at a local dealership very close to me; however, it was at the Lexus dealership getting service done when I wanted to go look at so I'm supposed to be receiving a call back when they get it back in a couple days. I was wondering if anyone could run the Lexus service history since it still isn't working for me. The VIN is: JTHBE262662003995 and the link to the car is:

http://www.mississippimahindra.com/n...-MS-39402.aspx

The price seems just a little higher than I think I could get the car for so hopefully they are willing to negotiate...especially once I find out how in depth the service they are completing now is. Also, is there anyway to tell what options the car has by checking the VIN? I'm wanting to see if this car has the Luxury Package like the other one did. Is the heated/cooled seats only available on that package so could I just look for that?

Thanks again
Old 10-26-11, 03:48 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

^ Looks good!

According to this....
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-packages.html

....Looks like this one is only the Premium package. With the heated seats, wood trim and perforated leather. Luxury package has memory seats, this one doesn't. This one wont come with the rear sunshade or HIDs either, which i believe are standard on the Luxury package. So this car is basically less equipped for a higher price. The only things better than the other one i guess are lower mileage and closer to you lol. Hopefully they are doing the 60k service on it at least (if it wasn't already) if they say they are servicing it at the moment.

I'll try and get the service report for you when i'm home again, unless someone gets to it before me lol That's if you even want it anymore knowing its just the premium package!

Last edited by KillaIS250; 10-26-11 at 03:51 PM.
Old 10-26-11, 03:55 PM
HSTexan
Driver

Well darn...rear sunshade isn't that big of a deal, memory seats would be nice, but again not a must. What bothers me the most is that it doesn't have HIDs and my guess is also the auto-adjusting lights? (forgot what they are called, the lights that adjust to corners). However, knowing that I could always upgrade to HIDs and live without the adjusting or doing it all the way (for of course a hefty price) if I could get this car for a decent price it seems like it'd be decent. I thought there was a difference between just the heated option and the heated/cooled. On the website they have pictures of the center console and you can clearly see the heating and cooling options. There aren't any Lexus employees that could pull the original window sticker are there?
Old 10-26-11, 04:16 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Well darn...rear sunshade isn't that big of a deal, memory seats would be nice, but again not a must. What bothers me the most is that it doesn't have HIDs and my guess is also the auto-adjusting lights? (forgot what they are called, the lights that adjust to corners). However, knowing that I could always upgrade to HIDs and live without the adjusting or doing it all the way (for of course a hefty price) if I could get this car for a decent price it seems like it'd be decent. I thought there was a difference between just the heated option and the heated/cooled. On the website they have pictures of the center console and you can clearly see the heating and cooling options. There aren't any Lexus employees that could pull the original window sticker are there?
The moving headlights is the AFS (Adaptive Front-lighting System). But yes, if it doesn't have the Factory HIDs, it wont have the AFS. As far as the seats go, I believe there is a difference between them actually now that you mention it. I think you can have heated seats only (non-perforated leather) and heated and cooled (perforated leather).

There are a few members that work at Lexus dealerships that can probably pull the sticker, i'm not sure who they are tho so it just depends on if they see this thread lol.
Old 10-26-11, 04:30 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

As luck would have it a very similar car showed up for sale at a local dealership very close to me; however, it was at the Lexus dealership getting service done when I wanted to go look at so I'm supposed to be receiving a call back when they get it back in a couple days. I was wondering if anyone could run the Lexus service history since it still isn't working for me. The VIN is: JTHBE262662003995 and the link to the car is:

http://www.mississippimahindra.com/n...-MS-39402.aspx

The price seems just a little higher than I think I could get the car for so hopefully they are willing to negotiate...especially once I find out how in depth the service they are completing now is. Also, is there anyway to tell what options the car has by checking the VIN? I'm wanting to see if this car has the Luxury Package like the other one did. Is the heated/cooled seats only available on that package so could I just look for that?

Thanks again

That is premium package with Nav and 18" wheels for sure. Premium is woodgrain and the heated/cooled seats.

No luxury package, and no HIDs (for 2007 and newer models it COULD optionally have HIDs regardless of having the sport or luxury package- but for 2006 models HIDs only came with sport or lux...which means no memory seats=no HIDs for 2006 models)

Memory seats and trim type are the key features for spotting Luxury or Sport or premium package- Memory+woodgrain=Lux, Memory w/out woodgrain=Sport, No Memory WITH woodgrain is premium.
Old 10-26-11, 05:41 PM
HSTexan
Driver

I finally got that Lexus owners thing to work, but how do I post it in a PDF like you did? It's got some entries I wanted to see if you guys would look at that kind of worry me

Quick Reply: Newbie looking for advice (Buying an IS)