IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Newbie looking for advice (Buying an IS)

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-11, 01:38 PM
HSTexan
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie looking for advice (Buying an IS)

I feel like I registered here awhile ago with a different name, but who knows. Either way I wasn't nearly as active back then as I'm wanting to be now.

I've told myself for awhile it's about time to get a new car. I've had my 1995 Toyota Supra for the past 8 years. It's been my daily driver ever since I owned it. I bought it originally with 68,319 miles on January 3rd, 2004 and now it's pushing close to 175,000 miles. It's been pretty reliable and hasn't required too much major service. It started life as a non-turbo, but around 95,000 miles and 5ish years ago I put a single turbo kit on it and have been driving it like that. The result has been 14MPG in the city if I drive nicely, marginally better on the highway. I'm starting to grow tired of spending $60 to fill up my car only to get ~220 miles out of a tank.

Now that I graduated college I had told myself it was about time to buy a more "mature" car. I'm kinda tired of the terrible MPG, lack of space for both cargo and people, lack of ability to drive it anywhere without worrying about bottoming out or even driving everywhere I need to. It's loud, it smells like gasoline when I drive it, and I absolutely love it...but it's not what I need right now. It was fun in HS and college when I had no responsibilities, but now I'm about to get married, start a career and I need something bigger.

I recently started hunting as well and have been jonesing for a 2007+ Tahoe, but that doesn't really solve the gas mileage problem. After discussing with the fiance-to-be a bit, an IS350 makes pretty good sense. Having spent the last 8 years with a Toyota, I feel quite good about owning another. It's got space for 4 or 5, a huge trunk, decent engine, and supposedly decent gas mileage. In addition, the lady in my life has been driving a 2001 Civic for roughly the same amount of time and the way I see it, after we are married and settled in maybe 3-4 years I can pull the trigger on a Tahoe then and give her the IS350; she loves the car as well and would love to drive it.

I've found a 2007 black on tan with navi which is exactly what I want. It's currently got 85,000 miles and seems like I could get it at a pretty good price. Looking for input on the car though from owners...are their any major maintenance issues? What is your actual MPG or how many miles can you drive on a tank? How do you like it and is it a fairly practical car for what you do? What would you expect to pay for the car I listed? The ad states it has the Mark Levinson package, but I didn't see the logo on the unit, so I'm not 100% sure on that part (any way I can be sure when asking the dealer?). I've heard people complaining about a stiff ride for a luxury car, but hey, I'm used to driving a lowered Supra, so I can't imagine it's too bad. I've also heard the backseat is pretty cramped; of course I'm used to little space so anything is an improvement...there is a local 250 near me that I want to go look at to get a better idea of inside dimensions.

Unfortunately the car is in New Jersey and I've just relocated from Arkansas/Texas to Mississippi to pursue a career in the area where the better half is attending medical school. 1200 miles means I need to have a lot of this figured out before I decide to make a move on the car, if even at all. It's been listed for sale for a bit and I've told myself if it's still available come December I'll try to pursue it, hopefully the additional time will give me a little more negotiating power. Anyway, sorry for the rambling first post, I think it's clear I've had a lot on my mind lately. For now I'll call it quits to see what you guys have to offer. Here's a few pictures of the current vehicle. She's getting old and we've been through quite a bit together; she isn't perfect, but of course neither am I

Cliffs: Looking to buy an IS350

Old 10-25-11, 01:46 PM
Soap
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't know about the room for 4 or 5. My kids find it tight in the back seats and the trunk is not large in my opinion. I get about 23MPG on average with a mix more on the highway side than city. I am not sure if you are looking to get better than that? I'm sure you could easily get over 25MPG staying more on the highway. Since you are getting close to starting a family it sounds like you may want to look at a GS350 instead? Just a thought since it looks like you might hang onto the car for several years. You have to think what will the next 5 years bring... I hope that helps.

Don't get me wrong, I love my IS350 and have no regrets. I think down the road I will look for something a tad bigger like the GS but that is several years away still.
Old 10-25-11, 02:12 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd recommend you read over this thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...tart-here.html
There's a lot of solid information on there that has been put together that i think will help you in making a purchase decision!

As far as space goes, If your frequently going to be driving around 4-5 people, the IS probably isn't the best car for you. Unless you and your passenger are short and sit closer to the steering wheel, there is limited space behind the seats and the middle seat is pretty much useless if you ask me, unless you have a small child sitting there lol. Trunk is a decent size, i wouldn't call it large, but its not small either. I don't find the ride stiff AT ALL, in fact the ride is very Lexus-cushy-soft lol Definitely go check out that 250 in your area to see how you like the size of the car though, take it for a drive even if you can, but i'm sure coming from a turbo Supra you will find the IS250 too slow lol.

Have you looked at the 2GS/3GS as well? More room, and the GS400/GS430 and GS460's have decent power too!

As far as the Mark Levinson thing goes, you'll want to look for that Logo to see if it truly has it:
http://www.infoarena.com/lexus/misc/ml_logo2.jpg
^ Looks like that.

I can relate to you on the whole growing up thing though lol. I loved my Prelude, and had my fun with it, but a modified Honda just looked way out of place in a corporate parking lot when i graduated and got a job. Plus clients didn't take me too seriously if i pulled up to their office with a modded Honda with a loud exhaust

Nice supra tho! good luck with your car search

Last edited by KillaIS250; 10-25-11 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-25-11, 02:14 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Start here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...is-models.html

That thread lists the issues you need to look out for on any potential IS you look at. Check the dealer service history to ensure all the relevant TSIBs have been performed, particularly on a car with 85k because you'll be out of even the powertrain warranty.

Can you post a listing of the car? It's too difficult to give thoughts on whether you're getting a good deal without seeing the car, options and of course price.

As far as gas mileage, there's a thread you can search for that people have posted their real world gas mileage (search "gas mileage" and sort by post count). I have a 2007 IS350 and drive 25% city and 75% highway and get 25 mpg. If I drove 100% highway I'd easily get 30-31 mpg, which I get on road trips. Overall I don't think you can beat the performance/power to gas mileage ratio of the IS350.

As far as space/utility, the backseat is cramped. No way around it. I highly recommend you check out an IS to see for yourself. To comfortably fit an adult in my backseat I have to move my drivers seat forward quite a bit. If you don't have kids yet, they'll obviously be small for a while, so an IS might work until they're bigger. I will say though that when I start a family, I'll be going GS.

Again Id post the listing, since CL members will be able to tell you what options it has. Great looking Supra by the way!
Old 10-25-11, 02:15 PM
HSTexan
Driver

Originally Posted by Soap
I don't know about the room for 4 or 5. My kids find it tight in the back seats and the trunk is not large in my opinion. I get about 23MPG on average with a mix more on the highway side than city. I am not sure if you are looking to get better than that? I'm sure you could easily get over 25MPG staying more on the highway. Since you are getting close to starting a family it sounds like you may want to look at a GS350 instead? Just a thought since it looks like you might hang onto the car for several years. You have to think what will the next 5 years bring... I hope that helps.

Don't get me wrong, I love my IS350 and have no regrets. I think down the road I will look for something a tad bigger like the GS but that is several years away still.
In regards to room for 4 or 5, I'm 5'10" and never had a habit of sitting extremely far back so I guess it's one of those things I'll keep a question mark next to until I can check it out in person. I figure it's got at least 3-4 times the space of the Supra though; almost have to sit one person sideways as you would have a hard time fitting both legs in front of you. Same thing with the trunk...I'm used to a 6-8" deep trunk that has a hard time fitting a big load of groceries. From what I've seen the IS seems to have a fairly large trunk for what I'm looking for. Those MPG's sound like music to my ears compared to what I've been getting.

As for the last thing the idea of kids right now still gives me this kind of feeling: Being 24 and the career path the significant other has chosen means kids are something at least 5-6 years down the line. By then I'd hope to have a Tahoe or similar SUV for the bigger vehicle needs as I do plan on keeping the car for awhile.

I appreciate the input, it is something else to consider, and as stated, it sounds like I really need to make some time to go look at one of these local to me to get a hands on feel of a few things.
Old 10-25-11, 02:28 PM
HSTexan
Driver

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
I'd recommend you read over this thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...tart-here.html
There's a lot of solid information on there that has been put together that i think will help you in making a purchase decision!
Thanks for the link! Driving around with 4-5 people wouldn't be a normal thing, but rather a capability I would have if I needed it. For instance, just 2 weekends ago, myself, a friend and the SO drove from MS to Dallas,TX for a football game. Though there was only 3 of us, I had to rely on someone else to be able to drive since no one would want to sit in the back of my car for 8 hours, and in addition there was no room to be able put any of our luggage. I'd like to be able to have a car I could offer up on trips, and with both my family in TX and her family in AR road trips would occur multiple times per year. The gas mileage and space really limits us on taking my car and frankly the SO's Civic hasn't been all that reliable. In addition just being able to do things like DD if we go out with friends on the weekend would be an added benefit. I've never really been into the bar scene, but I like to go out to see people. I always offer to drive for friends if we go out, problem is I always have to be driving one of their cars which can always have it's issues.

Long winded reply, but that is honestly about the extent of wanting more room; as stated in my first reply, any space is an improvement on the Supra.

Originally Posted by calvin2376
Start here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...is-models.html

Can you post a listing of the car? It's too difficult to give thoughts on whether you're getting a good deal without seeing the car, options and of course price.
Calvin, thanks for your link too. The gas mileage is a vast improvement over what I've got right now. Again as I said with my first reply (made after you had a chance to read it) I've got plans on getting a Tahoe or similar SUV once we get settled wherever the SO is doing her residency. Being mid-20's, I'm also not quite ready to commit to a land yacht yet

Here is the link for the car:

http://www.emgautoonline.com/web/use...ersey/1785900/
Old 10-25-11, 02:54 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

One thing I'd mention comparing the 2IS to a Supra.

You won't be modding this car for power. There's really nothing practical to do to make it much faster.

A stock IS350 will be about as quick (slightly quicker to 100) as a stock twin-turbo Mk4 Supra.

It won't get significantly faster than that for any reasonable amount of money.

If you're ok with that, and you like the size (checking a 250 works fine for that) you'll be fine.

I looked at the pics- it has the luxury package, but does not have Mark Levinson... so their ad is incorrect.

new, ML is a $1500 difference between Nav with ML and just Nav.

Last edited by Kurtz; 10-25-11 at 02:57 PM.
Old 10-25-11, 03:06 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Looking at the ad...it says "certified". o_o By who!? lol car was just probably given a quick inspection and then they sell it with a 30day/1000 mile warranty on the engine and transmission? Blah. Car does look like its in good shape, and you might be able to shave a grand off that price too.

Are you unable to find a good 350 around where you are now?
Old 10-25-11, 03:08 PM
HSTexan
Driver

Kurtz, thanks for the response. At this time I'm not really looking to do much in terms of modifying the car. I've heard the F-Sport exhaust and it does sound nice, but I'm at the point now that I'm looking for a nice "sporty" luxury car. Perhaps 10 years down the road I'll have the resources to buy a nicer performance car, but I'm definitely over the whole heavily modifying thing. Running only 8psi in my current setup nets me probably only marginally better or perhaps even the same performance as a 350.

That is good/bad news about the ML on the car I'm looking at. That should provide some weight when I talk to them. Aside from that does that seem to be a fair price or am I looking at a rip off?
Old 10-25-11, 03:09 PM
calvin2376
Racer

My recommendation after looking at the listing is to first off, post a PDF of the service history so CL members can check all the relevant things have been performed.

Secondly, I'd just beware a bit of these independent high-end used car sellers. They specialize in buying high-end luxury cars at auction and selling them. All they do is buy them at auction, spruce them up appearance-wise, and throw them on the lot at attractive prices. They rarely if ever will do anything mechanical or repair-wise, even if it's needed. It's the ultimate case of buyer beware.

I know this because I bought my last car, a 2003 E55, from a dealer just like this. Small, independent, only high-end cars bought at auction. There was quite a bit wrong with the car right off the bat, and it only got worse. I found the same thing on other cars I looked at from similar sellers.

This isn't to scare you away from a small shop like this. What I am saying is you MUST have this car taken to a Lexus dealership for a thorough pre-purchase inspection, which should cost one hour's labor or around $120. Also, look it over meticulously for the common issues listed in the Buyer's Guide thread.

Also, and I trust you're smart enough for this but I must say it, despite what their website says this car is in no way Certified. They have Certified listed because it has a 30 day/1000 mile LIMITED warranty backed by the dealership, which is basically STANDARD for any used car from a reputable dealership that doesn't come with a separate warranty. Keep in mind the limited aspect of this warranty as well. Anytime I've bought a used car without a separate warranty, it had a 30 day/1000 mile warranty for pretty much everything, or at least 50% parts/labor. If you buy this car and the next day the whole suspension falls apart, it's all on you.
Old 10-25-11, 03:12 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by btmar
That is good/bad news about the ML on the car I'm looking at. That should provide some weight when I talk to them. Aside from that does that seem to be a fair price or am I looking at a rip off?
Yes, use this misrepresentation as a bargaining chip. They should know it doesn't have ML, so they shouldn't have written it does. Pretend you don't know this until late in the negotiation process, and then say you want $500 or so off the price because of it. If they claim it does, you can call a Lexus dealer to have them confirm it will say "Mark Levinson" on the dash if it has the option.

As far as the price, that's probably fair, I just personally wouldn't spend $20k on a car with 85k miles. The 2IS is very reliable though, and several CL members are pushing 200k and over.
Old 10-25-11, 03:18 PM
HSTexan
Driver

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Looking at the ad...it says "certified". o_o By who!? lol car was just probably given a quick inspection and then they sell it with a 30day/1000 mile warranty on the engine and transmission? Blah. Car does look like its in good shape, and you might be able to shave a grand off that price too.

Are you unable to find a good 350 around where you are now?
When you open the page they have their fall clearance ad that says they'll take $1000 off if you purchase before 11AM. That said I'd assume they would sell it for $19k, so if it's still around in December I might try to offer $18k in hopes of really getting it for maybe $18.5k. Since it's in NJ I'd have to fly in one evening and go in the morning to get it before driving back. I know what you mean about the "warranty." It'd be gone before I even got it home.

As far as finding one local, I'm very specific in what I'm looking for. Black exterior is a must, and after owning a black exterior/black interior car it is way too hot in the summer for my liking. I'm not a big fan of the grey interior so the black on tan is a must. In addition I'd really like to get all the added benefits of newer technology since I'm technically upgrading from a 16 year old car. In that sense navigation is a must as well. I'm located in Hattiesburg, MS which isn't a terribly small town, but is much more blue collar than say Dallas. In doing a search the only 3 IS's I found here in Hattiesburg were 250's. Jackson is only about an hour and a half north, but I still haven't had much luck finding what I want there for a reasonable price. My goal is by the time I get it home to be able to do this for $20k or less. Factoring hotels, gas, and airfare and assuming I can get it for slightly less than listed, the car in NJ fits the bill. I've also got an older sister that just started her residency in Pittsburgh that I haven't seen in about 6 months which is only a small side trip in the grand scheme of things.

That said, if I could find the same car locally for the same price or possibly even slightly more I'd jump on it in a heartbeat.
Old 10-25-11, 03:26 PM
HSTexan
Driver

calvin, more good information and I appreciate it. A PPI was a must and I do recognize the issues that may arise when buying used from a dealer such as this. The mileage isn't as much of a concern since I'll be putting much fewer miles on my car nowadays and at the heart of things, I'm hoping it's a reliable Toyota like I'm used to since the one I've got now is only a shade away from 200k as well. As stated I wouldn't put much weight into their warranty since it'd be gone before I even got the car home. And while I recognize the example you stated in regards to the suspension giving out...it's really no different than the responsibility I took on with my Supra when I purchased it from a private party 7 years ago.

Edit: Also, I tried to plug the VIN to the Lexus website as posted in that buyers guide link to pull up the service history, but it said it wouldn't accept my information at this time.
Old 10-25-11, 03:49 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

I got the history report to work,. Gimme a sec, i'll upload it
Old 10-25-11, 04:04 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Here you go bro.

There's a lot of entries but a lot of it is just dealer notes lol
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
IS350_service_report.pdf (982.8 KB, 163 views)

Quick Reply: Newbie looking for advice (Buying an IS)