IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

SI to IS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-11, 09:23 PM
erict168
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SI to IS?

hi everyone i been lurking on this forum for couple months now, didn't want to make an account before im almost sure im going to get an lexus IS. im sure there are ALOTS of threads over getting an IS already but i havent came across any with honda SI to IS so im going to make one SORRY!!!
The Honda SI is sooo fun to drive 8k rpm and vtec feel good!! but im done with driving stick shift now!
I had this car for about 2 years treated like my baby!
Mods: buddy club coil and invidia exhaust.

Now i want to get an Lexus IS 250 prefer because better on gas BUT! I was reading its slow!!! WELL i don't really mind slow BUT HOW SLOW IS IT REALLY COMPARE TO THE SI!!!??? will i feel an BIG differences. I haven't test drive any IS 250 yet. i want something more luxury and comfortable for DD imma try to make it short im trying to get an used one for about under $26000 white and black interior with lowish millage maybe like 40k or less. MY Honda has only about 35k miles

So what you guys think? Would you sell your SI for IS?

HERE are some pics of my civic!!

Old 10-25-11, 09:36 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome to CL. wow...pretty clean!!!! You won't think your IS is small compared to the SI. I think it's as fast as I want it to go...is it quick....NO. Never driven an Si. I got an older EX. If you wanna save gas and want a bit of luxury then you ALREADY answered your question including color. Look around and see what's out there. 06 had no shark fin roof antennae. 07'-08' are identical. 09' came new tail lights and minor tweaks on the grille. Good luck in finding what you're looking for. Where in CA are you? Go to the regional section you're from....Nor Cal or So Cal and ask there if there is any dealer connection or if they know anyone selling.
Old 10-25-11, 09:39 PM
ddhleigh
Pole Position

I traded in my GSR for my IS. It all depends on which stage of life you are in. If you are done with the need for speed and you want to cruise in a nice ride, get the IS. Speed/Slowness is based on one's determination. You should go and test drive the IS and only then will you be able to compare your current Si to the IS.

Unless of course you opt for the IS350 or IS-F... then you have luxury and speed.
Old 10-25-11, 09:42 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Welcome. To answer your question, absolutely I would sell my Civic for an IS. The quality, refinement and luxury are well worth losing a high revving, row your own sporty car. Now a lot of people like to bash the IS250 for its performance, and praise the Acura TSX/Civic Si for their spunky I4's despite their nearly equal power. The thing with the IS250 that most don’t realize, is that the 250 is more like a "4-cylinder" variant of the IS but with 2 extra cylinders to keep things smooth (a true staple of a luxury car). It's neither the fastest nor the slowest, but one can't argue that the IS250 lacks a smooth, polished and refined powertrain. Compare TSX/Si with its buzzy little 4-banger. Both are entry level luxury/sport models, but the IS clearly comes out ahead with the smoother, more refined, and more polished feel. With more torque and the same mpg's as the TSX to boot! (21/30). That said, once you get up to speed, say cruising along at 70 MPH - the experience in the IS250 is exactly the same as it is with the IS350. There is no denying that the IS250 offers arguably the smoothest ride of all entry level luxury sedans available. The step up from a Corolla and Jetta and Elantra (etc) is an entry level IS and 3 Series (etc). Retaining the overall same dimensions with more power, luxury, sport and features in higher end base model cars than economical commuter cars such as said civic. Basically what you gain is a completly different vehicle (Si and IS250 are like apples and oranges). In regards to is the 250 slow? No, the 250 engine is intended to do what its meant to. Power is adequate/good for everyday. Six cylinders will always be smoother than four and you can’t change that.
Old 10-25-11, 10:14 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

SI is quicker than a IS250, SI will also 'feel' quicker too due to its lighter weight and its FWD so that pulling feeling rather than the pushing feeling. Thing is thou, you don't buy a IS250 cuz you want quickness~
Old 10-25-11, 10:16 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I came from a 98 Honda Prelude. A couple HP less than your SI, but a bit more torque. Pretty much a comparable car when it comes to performance though lol.

Although i do miss hitting VTEC to have a little fun, i love the drive of the IS250 more just because its so refined and luxurious. I still find the IS250 fun to drive, and the highway it feels good to simply be cruising along and then switch it over to the "sport shift" mode and nail the gas to pass someone up once in a while. Not the same as VTEC, but i didn't buy this car to have a little fun to drive. I bought it because i wanted a more grown up car that was still a little sporty. It's nice to have a car you can have a little fun with, take out to nice places without looking out of place, and still be comfortable and get good gas mileage as a daily commuter car.
Old 10-25-11, 10:35 PM
erict168
Driver School Candidate

thanks guys!! im not really into speed/fast and furious **** i rarely vtec on my SI hahaha..people always ask what the point of getting the SI LOL
yeah im gonna test drive the is250! i love the sporty/luxury looks. I think im done with the JDM scene LOL
im still young and going to pay for the IS hopefully i can find a perfect IS250!!!
Also should i get the nav package? is it worth it?
i know that only 2011 has the F package which i REALLY WANT!!! BUT $$$$$
Old 10-25-11, 10:42 PM
PetesSweet
Pole Position

0-60 on IS250 AWD is 7.8sec
Old 10-25-11, 10:45 PM
PetesSweet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by erict168
hi everyone i been lurking on this forum for couple months now, didn't want to make an account before im almost sure im going to get an lexus IS. im sure there are ALOTS of threads over getting an IS already but i havent came across any with honda SI to IS so im going to make one SORRY!!!
The Honda SI is sooo fun to drive 8k rpm and vtec feel good!! but im done with driving stick shift now!
I had this car for about 2 years treated like my baby!
Mods: buddy club coil and invidia exhaust.

Now i want to get an Lexus IS 250 prefer because better on gas BUT! I was reading its slow!!! WELL i don't really mind slow BUT HOW SLOW IS IT REALLY COMPARE TO THE SI!!!??? will i feel an BIG differences. I haven't test drive any IS 250 yet. i want something more luxury and comfortable for DD imma try to make it short im trying to get an used one for about under $26000 white and black interior with lowish millage maybe like 40k or less. MY Honda has only about 35k miles

So what you guys think? Would you sell your SI for IS?

HERE are some pics of my civic!!

I got my 2008 IS250 AWD with 20900 miles for only 23k before taxes and such so I'm sure for 26000 you should easily manage.
Old 10-25-11, 10:45 PM
jsigone
Driver School Candidate

about the same power as the Si, would probably feel like you had 3 other friends in the car all the time. Once you get it going its not bad, just off the line you can feel that weight.
Old 10-25-11, 10:47 PM
MyIS350G
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

welcome and good luck with the test drive! nice and clean civic.
Old 10-25-11, 10:48 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by erict168
thanks guys!! im not really into speed/fast and furious **** i rarely vtec on my SI hahaha..people always ask what the point of getting the SI LOL
yeah im gonna test drive the is250! i love the sporty/luxury looks. I think im done with the JDM scene LOL
im still young and going to pay for the IS hopefully i can find a perfect IS250!!!
Also should i get the nav package? is it worth it?
i know that only 2011 has the F package which i REALLY WANT!!! BUT $$$$$
It's up to you. Some people like the navigation and won't buy a car without it, plus its easier to sell a car in the future that has navigation and of course it ads a bit of value. I personally skipped it because i'm driving mostly familiar routes and i already had a nice portable too. I couldn't justify the premium for one with navigation lol.

Don't sweat not having the F-Sport package, there's plenty of mods out there for you to do, and you can do F-sport upgrades yourself if you want as well. Just don't plan on adding much power, it's not gonna happen lol

You will definitely find a IS250 for under $26k with low miles and with navigation too. I bought mine, 07 (white with black interior) no nav, but only 38k miles and Certified Pre-Owned for around $21k
Old 10-25-11, 11:03 PM
rookieIS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ what he said!!
Old 10-25-11, 11:05 PM
509IS350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get the is350. call it a day. lol. goodluck.
Old 10-25-11, 11:16 PM
DIJohn46
Driver School Candidate

I was debating the same thing when I was searching for another car. I decided on an is350 because I found one that was unmolested and in white at a decent price. I was debating on the is250 for the longest time but I knew I would miss the power even though I rarely drive fast. I had a 390whp built Subaru and I rarely drove over the speed limit. All my friends asked me the same thing....what was the point? I really don't know but I know my gas mileage is a lot better with the is350 than my Subaru even after I put it back to stock! I have a close friend with a is250 that gets about 3-4 mpg more than me on a regular basis. Not that big of a deal to me when I know I have a faster car than him
I wish I would've gotten a used Is-f...it probably would've gotten similar or better gas mileage than my Subaru

Quick Reply: SI to IS?