IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS350 tires....

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-11, 10:41 PM
greg0723
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default IS350 tires....

hey guys. how do i know if i need new tires? i have my 06 is350 with 38k miles and now have 85k miles. i have no changed the tires yet. although 15-20k can be taken off because i used snow tires for 10 months out the 24 i have had it. anyhow what tires should i get for my is350? and also what is the difference in getting summer tires vs all season tires? i think my fronts are 225/40/18 and my rear sizes are 255/40/18. i currently have bridgestone potenza re50 tires on.
Old 10-29-11, 01:03 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just do the penny trick to check your tread.
Like this..... http://reviewsonline.com/auto/TT03-1.htm

There's a lot of threads for recommended tires and a lot of different opinions on what tires are good and bad.

As far as summer vs all season goes....summer tires usually offer the best dry handling and decent wet handling but terrible winter (snow) handling. All season (compared to a summer tire) is usually better at wet handling and snow driving, but worse at dry handling.

The tire sizes you posted are correct for the OEM 18s. Like i said there's a lot of opinions on what tires are good and bad. Hankook Ventus V12s are good though, and most people will agree with that.
Old 10-29-11, 01:14 AM
tedward88
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

x2 on the v12, but if your willing to spend the money, there are many better tires out there, but best bang for the buck, most would say v12
Old 10-29-11, 05:58 AM
lextasy08
Rookie

anyone know of any good tire websites other than tirerack??
Old 10-29-11, 07:27 AM
BamaIS
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Discounttiredirect.com. they have free shipping.
Old 10-29-11, 09:11 AM
lextasy08
Rookie

Originally Posted by BamaIS
Old 10-29-11, 09:17 AM
CleverName
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tedward88
x2 on the v12, but if your willing to spend the money, there are many better tires out there, but best bang for the buck, most would say v12
Exactly... in the Good-Better-Best categories they are considered Good tires.

Originally Posted by BamaIS
Even better, my local tire dealerships will match most online prices (when including shipping)
Find what you like and then go buy local... after all its your community you should care about not the one in another part of the country...
Old 10-29-11, 09:37 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
As far as summer vs all season goes....summer tires usually offer the best dry handling and decent wet handling but terrible winter (snow) handling. All season (compared to a summer tire) is usually better at wet handling and snow driving, but worse at dry handling.
This isn't actually correct.... All seasons are bad at everything

Second or third place behind winter or summer tires in snow, dry, and wet. They're worse than summers and winters in wet especially...the only place they beat summers is in snow, where they're well behind winter tires... and the only place they beat winter tires is dry, where they're behind the summer tires.

There's rarely any good reason to buy all season tires.

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
The tire sizes you posted are correct for the OEM 18s. Like i said there's a lot of opinions on what tires are good and bad. Hankook Ventus V12s are good though, and most people will agree with that.
Yup, the Hankook V12 is the best bang for the buck going IMHO.

If $ is no object and you want awesome performance, get the Michelin Super Sports.

If you want 85-90% of the performance for 50% less money, get the Hankooks.

Here's some testing Car and Driver did of 9 inexpensive summer performance tires vs. the Michelin PS2 (which was the gold standard for a while before the Super Sports)

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...mparison-tests

The Hankooks come out just ahead of the Michelins overall.... and most #s I've seen put the Super Sports about 10-20% ahead of the PS2s
Old 10-29-11, 09:48 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
This isn't actually correct.... All seasons are bad at everything

Second or third place behind winter or summer tires in snow, dry, and wet. They're worse than summers and winters in wet especially...the only place they beat summers is in snow, where they're well behind winter tires... and the only place they beat winter tires is dry, where they're behind the summer tires.

There's rarely any good reason to buy all season tires.

Yup, the Hankook V12 is the best bang for the buck going IMHO.

If $ is no object and you want awesome performance, get the Michelin Super Sports.

If you want 85-90% of the performance for 50% less money, get the Hankooks.

Here's some testing Car and Driver did of 9 inexpensive summer performance tires vs. the Michelin PS2 (which was the gold standard for a while before the Super Sports)

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...mparison-tests

The Hankooks come out just ahead of the Michelins overall.... and most #s I've seen put the Super Sports about 10-20% ahead of the PS2s
K,doesn't summer tire rubber harden in winter weather causing traction loss and longer panic stop distances?Along with more tire wear?
Old 10-29-11, 11:34 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joeb427
K,doesn't summer tire rubber harden in winter weather causing traction loss and longer panic stop distances?Along with more tire wear?
Yup... that's the only reason the all-seasons don't come in last place in winter testing... the summers do.

Anytime it's above freezing though the summers beat all other tire types in both wet and dry.

Hence why I recommend folks run winter tires when it's actually below freezing, and summers the rest of the year. Then you get superior performance 12 months out of the year... instead of 2nd or 3rd rate performance all year with all seasons.
Old 10-29-11, 11:52 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Yup... that's the only reason the all-seasons don't come in last place in winter testing... the summers do.

Anytime it's above freezing though the summers beat all other tire types in both wet and dry.

Hence why I recommend folks run winter tires when it's actually below freezing, and summers the rest of the year. Then you get superior performance 12 months out of the year... instead of 2nd or 3rd rate performance all year with all seasons.
I've read on winter wet roads and snow and ice,summer tires are really bad.

http://www.insideline.com/features/t...vs-summer.html

My IS never will see snow and I'd love to go with summer tires but it's a pleasure vehicle used on nice weather weekends all year.No real need for winter tires but don't like the lack of traction and longer panic stops in winter with summer tires.So,all seasons are the choice for me.Although,I'd love the better sticky grip of a summer tire.
You guys living in a non winter climate have it made.

It's snowing right now and I have a couple of inches on the ground.No joy ride today.

Last edited by Joeb427; 10-29-11 at 11:57 AM.
Old 10-29-11, 11:22 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I've read on winter wet roads and snow and ice,summer tires are really bad.

http://www.insideline.com/features/t...vs-summer.html

My IS never will see snow and I'd love to go with summer tires but it's a pleasure vehicle used on nice weather weekends all year.No real need for winter tires but don't like the lack of traction and longer panic stops in winter with summer tires.So,all seasons are the choice for me.Although,I'd love the better sticky grip of a summer tire.
You guys living in a non winter climate have it made.

It's snowing right now and I have a couple of inches on the ground.No joy ride today.

Why would you not run summers for the 8-9 months of the year it's above freezing, then winter tires in the other 3-4 months?

Then you'd have significantly better stopping, handling, and acceleration 12 months of the year, rather than the mediocre levels of those you have with all seasons all year?

Right now you have significantly longer panic stop distances in all weather conditions compared to using the proper tire for the weather.
Old 10-30-11, 04:49 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Why would you not run summers for the 8-9 months of the year it's above freezing, then winter tires in the other 3-4 months?

Then you'd have significantly better stopping, handling, and acceleration 12 months of the year, rather than the mediocre levels of those you have with all seasons all year?

Right now you have significantly longer panic stop distances in all weather conditions compared to using the proper tire for the weather.
It comes down to only driving a small amount of mileage in winter.In fact the car mileage for a year is maybe 5K.
Not worth the hassle of changing to winter tires for less than 1K mileage and no bad weather driving the car.I'm probably better off just going with the summer tires.