IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

is350 winter tire??? need help..

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-11 | 03:45 PM
2genIS
Pole Position

Question is350 winter tire??? need help..

hi guys,

Which set of tire would be a good choice for winter tire?

option 1:
Bridge stone blazzak LM-60-- same brand for front and rear
cost: $939 + $100 installation

option 2:
front: Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3
rear: Yokohama W.drive
cost: 902 + $100 installation
Old 11-03-11 | 03:50 PM
birador
Lead Lap

i go for option 1-stock size
Old 11-03-11 | 04:02 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

I would avoid having different types of tires in the front and rear.

Jeff
Old 11-03-11 | 04:12 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Agreed. Having two different sets of tires will have the car drive perform unpredictably and unstable.
Old 11-03-11 | 04:18 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sango
Agreed. Having two different sets of tires will have the car drive perform unpredictably and unstable.
You know, I hear this all the time and it just doesn't make any sense to me. The front tires and rear tires perform different functions and (should) have different characteristics anyhow. The fronts are used for changing the direction of the vehicle, the rears for propelling the car in a straight direction. It seems perfectly logical to me that different tires front and rear could actually be beneficial. Is there any data that proves this instability issue? If so, I've never seen it.
Old 11-03-11 | 04:54 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

^ I agree with you on that but that's my common sense though. All I hear is that due to the different treads, it's the cause that the car can become unstable. I can understand if having different tires on the sides would be bad but not really on the front and rears.

I'm actually going to install different tires for my rears in two weeks or so. My front snow tires are Blizzak LM-25Vs which have good treads left but my rears are almost bald in the middle only. Obviously the LM25's are no longer made. If my car drives bad, then I'll buy new fronts but I honestly don't think anything will happen. I see so many people with mismatched tires. My friend with his AWD IS250 has three tire brands on his car. He doesn't know it's bad but he says his car's driving in snow is great even with all-seasons and different tires. Anyone got videos or experience with what happens?

OP: I'd go with option one though regardless. The Michelin tires I heard weren't specifically designed for use in North America, but in Europe where winters are slightly warmer so they aren't as good. Blizzaks supposedly are one of the best snow tires and are worth the extra considering the above and how people say different tires are bad.
Old 11-03-11 | 05:07 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

While it may be possible that different tread designs or rubber compounds may be beneficial in some sort of theory somewhere, the fact of the matter is that when driving on the tires, there are essentially 2 forces at work, forward acceleration (acceleration and braking), and lateral forces from cornering.

If we're talking about a RWD car here, the rear tires are mostly used to provide positive acceleration forward, and lateral forces while cornering. Remember that just because the front tires are turning, the rear tires still need to maintain that lateral force going around the corner. The front tires are also handling the same forces, just in different ways, they handle lateral forces while cornering (to a slightly greater extent than the rear, but it is similar). They also have to handle negative acceleration forces when stopping, as they take most of the force when stopping the vehicle.

Putting different tires on the front and rear isn't the best idea, simply due to the fact that the differing tread design and compounds will react differently in the same situation. Perhaps the front tires are still hard at a certain temperature while the rears are much softer, you now have a disparity of grip, and the car may not behave as expected when pushed to the limit (understeer). This is obviously most pronounced when people do things like leave all-season or summer tires on the front and just run winter tires in the rear, the difference in grip is huge in different situations.

There are obviously legit reasons for running different tires in the front and the rear, such as the rears needing replacement due to wear or damage and the tire is discontinued, like chi123 is experiencing. When a situation like this happens, you'd typically try to find as close a match to the original tire as possible, and it will probably be fine, in fact I'd say you'd likely not have any issues.

In a case like the original poster's though, when you're buying all four tires brand new anyways, there's no reason to buy different tires for the front and the rear. You could pay the almost the same and not have mismatched tires, it just makes sense to try to match the characteristics as closely as possible within the confines of what you're dealing with. No two situations are exactly the same, so the same advice doesn't always apply.

It basically comes down to: match your tires on the same axle exactly, try to match front and rear as closely as possible. If you only need to replace 2 tires, try to get as close a match as you can to the other 2, if you're doing all 4, there's not really a reason to mix and match.

Jeff
Old 11-03-11 | 05:16 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
While it may be possible that different tread designs or rubber compounds may be beneficial in some sort of theory somewhere, the fact of the matter is that when driving on the tires, there are essentially 2 forces at work, forward acceleration (acceleration and braking), and lateral forces from cornering.

If we're talking about a RWD car here, the rear tires are mostly used to provide positive acceleration forward, and lateral forces while cornering. Remember that just because the front tires are turning, the rear tires still need to maintain that lateral force going around the corner. The front tires are also handling the same forces, just in different ways, they handle lateral forces while cornering (to a slightly greater extent than the rear, but it is similar). They also have to handle negative acceleration forces when stopping, as they take most of the force when stopping the vehicle.

Putting different tires on the front and rear isn't the best idea, simply due to the fact that the differing tread design and compounds will react differently in the same situation. Perhaps the front tires are still hard at a certain temperature while the rears are much softer, you now have a disparity of grip, and the car may not behave as expected when pushed to the limit (understeer). This is obviously most pronounced when people do things like leave all-season or summer tires on the front and just run winter tires in the rear, the difference in grip is huge in different situations.

There are obviously legit reasons for running different tires in the front and the rear, such as the rears needing replacement due to wear or damage and the tire is discontinued, like chi123 is experiencing. When a situation like this happens, you'd typically try to find as close a match to the original tire as possible, and it will probably be fine, in fact I'd say you'd likely not have any issues.

In a case like the original poster's though, when you're buying all four tires brand new anyways, there's no reason to buy different tires for the front and the rear. You could pay the almost the same and not have mismatched tires, it just makes sense to try to match the characteristics as closely as possible within the confines of what you're dealing with. No two situations are exactly the same, so the same advice doesn't always apply.

It basically comes down to: match your tires on the same axle exactly, try to match front and rear as closely as possible. If you only need to replace 2 tires, try to get as close a match as you can to the other 2, if you're doing all 4, there's not really a reason to mix and match.

Jeff
You summed it up pretty well. So it basically comes down to steering where mismatched tires are bad? I'm trying to get snow tires only for my rears but also looking for same ratings on the tires. My tires are wearing out faster in the rear, sooner or later, all tires would probably be needed to be replaced at the same time eventually. Thanks for the post BTW!
Old 11-03-11 | 05:54 PM
2genIS
Pole Position

thanks guys,

Every shop I went to or shopping online, the bridgestone blizzak are top choice for winter tire... For me, i rather have the same brand for all four tires... Now for the mismatch brand, a local tech said is ok as long as the tires either both in front or both in rear.. I never running into this issue nor have driving different brand on front and rear so I don't have any input on the issue..
Old 11-03-11 | 05:56 PM
gsCrazy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange

Jeff

very, very well put.
Old 11-03-11 | 06:22 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

I run the blizzak during the winter time and there great tires. I got my last year from tirerack for 650 shipped on all four when they had deals going on. I would also not mix an match my tires. Cause in the winter time traction is what your getting from these winter tires. I dont wear nike on my left foot and adidas on my right so why do it with my car hahaha
Old 11-03-11 | 06:37 PM
CleverName
Pole Position

We had a big ice storm here last winter, and my Lex came to a complete stop. Needless to say, two weeks later I was shod on new 17" rims with Blizzaks. Made a great difference when facing snow or heading up to the ski slopes (the 350 is still a poor choice as a winter car with those conditions in mind regardless of tire choice).

The only downside I have noticed with the Blizzaks is that they are a VERY soft and pliable compound. On dry roads a snap lane change sets the whole chassis wallowing side to side. Trying to correct it can be a bit of a white knuckle affair. Happened to me a few times last year and it is a bit embarrassing. Needless to say with them on your car you learn to curb your normal aggressive driving habits and maintain smooth lines as much as possible.

2 cents
Old 11-03-11 | 06:48 PM
509IS350
Lexus Test Driver

my is350 suck b@lls in the snow. it stays in the garage when snow hits. 4 wheel drive is the safer way to go. jay-z rolling in the pathfinder lol.
Old 11-03-11 | 07:21 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 509IS350
my is350 suck b@lls in the snow. it stays in the garage when snow hits. 4 wheel drive is the safer way to go. jay-z rolling in the pathfinder lol.
It'd be fine with snow tires on it.

Tires matter more than drivetrain in snow.
Old 11-03-11 | 07:50 PM
dmLsix
Rookie

I have Michelin X-ice snow tires and love them, they provide excellent traction.

I never got stuck once all last winter.

Quick Reply: is350 winter tire??? need help..