IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Why isn't the IS200d in the US?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-11, 11:36 AM
jmsharp02
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why isn't the IS200d in the US?

I don't get it. VW dominates the diesel sedan market, and I'm ready for some competition. Besides, while everyone in the US is talking about hydrogen fuel and electric cars-why isn't anyone talking about bio-diesel? Cleaner, safe, very close to being able to be produced in mass amounts...? But nobody ever talks about this. Bring me an is200d and I'll buy it new off the lot!
Old 11-04-11, 12:11 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jmsharp02
I don't get it. VW dominates the diesel sedan market, and I'm ready for some competition. Besides, while everyone in the US is talking about hydrogen fuel and electric cars-why isn't anyone talking about bio-diesel? Cleaner, safe, very close to being able to be produced in mass amounts...? But nobody ever talks about this. Bring me an is200d and I'll buy it new off the lot!
Because in the 80s GM produced some really, really, really unreliable diesel cars.

Ever since, people in the US generally hate and have no interest in diesel cars.

The Germans, by virtue of producing a ton of diesels for european production, have maintained diesel car lines in the US mostly, but there's been very little traction otherwise outside of trucks.

Every few years stories come out about how diesels are coming back, but it hasn't materialized substantially yet.
Old 11-04-11, 12:27 PM
IS250FA
Driver School Candidate

The simple reason is because it is absolute rubbish. I am from the UK and over here the IS220d has been so unreliable and for many undrivable due to turbo lag and gearing issues that even the dealers dont recommended it. The IS200d has recently been launched so im not sure how this fairs but I cant see it being a great improvement. To top it off, fuel consumption isnt great and not that much better than an IS250 Auto which is a far superior car. If you ask me, I wish that they didn't bother with the IS diesel variant over here and gave us the IS350!
Old 11-04-11, 12:46 PM
LEXtegra
Driver

Every IS I see here in Germany that is not owned by an American is a diesel. I've only seen one German couple that have an IS-C. Next time I see the diesel guys around I'll ask if they have reliability issues. But it is true about the diesel market in Europe. You can even get a ford focus in a diesel model.
Old 11-04-11, 12:58 PM
PetesSweet
Pole Position

diesel cars don't last that long either, if you're lucky it will last 100k miles, but from a trucks perspective, because of mass production of those, you can repair their engines to new quite easily......this is why even california GREATLY restricts diesel cars, only rescently could mercedes sell their diesel cars.

If you want a fast diesel anyways just get a 335d beemer.

And btw alternative fuels are pointless, you still use oil in every SINGLE part of an automobile, if we can produce less vehicles and altogether not need autos except for private days (work days use mass transit), then we might be better off but anything alternative is just beating on a dead horse...but slowly.... until we can contain fusion power better which apparently noone can do :P

I mean the nuclear engines on the USS Eisenhower last 100 years each, at it's a class super cruiser...that **** is heavy.....
Old 11-04-11, 12:59 PM
PetesSweet
Pole Position

oh and btw to mass produce bio-diesel like ethanol for instance you need 2 calories of gasoline to produce 1 calorie of bio-diesel
Old 11-04-11, 01:07 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah reliability has definitely been one factor, i've read a few complaints from overseas CL members that have the diesel 2IS and have issues with it. I just don't think a diesel IS would do so good in the U.S, there's not "that" big of a market for a Lexus diesel here.
Old 11-04-11, 01:09 PM
PetesSweet
Pole Position

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q1oDmANIXc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr902...eature=related
Old 11-04-11, 01:11 PM
PetesSweet
Pole Position

my bad, first video explains that 10 calories of hydrocarbon is used to produce 1 calorie of food, namely corn for production of ethanol
Old 11-04-11, 01:12 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PetesSweet
diesel cars don't last that long either, if you're lucky it will last 100k miles, but from a trucks perspective, because of mass production of those, you can repair their engines to new quite easily......this is why even california GREATLY restricts diesel cars, only rescently could mercedes sell their diesel cars.

If you want a fast diesel anyways just get a 335d beemer.

And btw alternative fuels are pointless, you still use oil in every SINGLE part of an automobile, if we can produce less vehicles and altogether not need autos except for private days (work days use mass transit), then we might be better off but anything alternative is just beating on a dead horse...but slowly.... until we can contain fusion power better which apparently noone can do :P

I mean the nuclear engines on the USS Eisenhower last 100 years each, at it's a class super cruiser...that **** is heavy.....
Where did you get that from? Diesel cars last forever. There are tons of old Mercedes Benz diesels around still (190D, 300D, etc) I've seen many with well over 200,000 miles on the original transmissions and engines. I've even seen some tipping 300k. Hell we have a Diesel work truck at my office (Dodge) that is lasting forever. I believe it's just about to hit 200k with nothing but oil changes and the expected maintenance for a diesel engine. Can't say the same about our gasoline powered F-150s or some of the vans we have.
Old 11-04-11, 01:43 PM
jmsharp02
Pole Position

Woo, the conversation took a little while to kick off but now it's heated up.

First I want to dispel a few things-one, Biodiesel, currently it's not perfected, but there's a whole lot of news about creating alternative fuels and I don't hear as much about Biodiesel-which if it were perfected I'm saying would solve the issues we're having with the price of gasoline. I think the huge oil corporations just don't want any competition.

Second, the reliability of diesel cars. To me the reliability of any car depends on the manufacturer, not the type of fuel it uses. Take for instance the Jetta TDI. My parents have a 1998 VW Jetta TDI, and they just rolled it over 300k. The odometer only goes to 300k so it now has reset, and it's still running great. Definitely a reliable car.

Now, as far as Lexus goes, I suppose it's not too surprising that their older diesel isn't too great since it's something pretty new for them. I'd hope the is200 is a little better. No clue though, but I still think that diesel's rock. Oh, and the jetta tdi gets close to 40/gallon...and still has plenty of kick. Why would the is200 do much worse? My is250 doesn't get anywhere near 40/gallon, I'm lucky if I get 28/gallon on the freeway. Just some thoughts.
Old 11-04-11, 01:53 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

tl;dr: Because there is not enough demand for it.

Last edited by brociouz; 11-04-11 at 02:12 PM.
Old 11-04-11, 01:55 PM
p0lo8
Pole Position

In europe diesel is so popular because diesel is CHEAPER than gasoline, and also gets better gas mileage.
Everybody is just buying it to save money. I am from eastern europe and believe me, everybody would drive gasoline cars if gas would be cheaper there.
Gasoline gets you better performance.
Old 11-04-11, 02:28 PM
LEXtegra
Driver

^That is true. I think the average european drives a longer commute to and from work, via the autobahn. So I makes sense for those that do to have a diesel. My father in law has one and he drives about 40miles one way to work and the majority of that is autobahn. But its also alot of the older generations driving diesel mercedes and stuff like big body 7series diesels.
Old 11-04-11, 02:38 PM
funglenn
Lead Lap

Keep in mind that in Europe they have low sulfur diesel--i lived there for 4 years. That Diesel is just now coming to the US in the last few years. American diesel cars and trunks can easily take the low sulfur stuff, but the new European diesels that everyone wants CANNOT operate on the high sulfur diesel we have in the states--we would destroy the engines quickly.

Unil we are fully on low sulfur, car companies will not push diesels as much. Hopefully they will not be as stinky, that is my one complaint about Diesel engines.

Quick Reply: Why isn't the IS200d in the US?