LEXtegra
Driver

Originally Posted by ddhleigh
In before Kurtz! I'm kidding.
Lol. That was a good one.

Originally Posted by Kurtz
This.

Tires > drivetrain.

I'd take RWD with snow tires over AWD with all-seasons... tires matter more for most things you'd care about in winter (handling and braking for example).
I'm with Kurtz. You will be amazed at what a good set of winter tires will do. Just get you some winter tires and call it a day.
Old 11-06-11 | 05:00 AM
TQTran
Driver School Candidate

Just be careful, after driving a 350z with no TCS and UHP KDW2's in a virginia winter this IS should be a breeze but I think I'll get a beater truck for this season
Old 11-06-11 | 08:59 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

I prefer my 350 with snow tires then when I had awd250 with all season. Tires do make it a nite and day.
Old 11-06-11 | 09:36 AM
LEXtegra
Driver

Here you go. Watch this video comparison of all season vs winter tires. And AWD or not, if it snows where you live and you don't want to have an accident. I would highly recommend getting you a set of winter tires
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGfvyPtYR0Y
Old 11-06-11 | 09:44 AM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

I drive my is250 AWD with all season tires during the winter. It does not perform well, but manageable if driving carefully... Been looking to get some winter tires, but i just cant seem to fork over the money knowing ive been fine with all seasons for 2 winters.
Old 11-06-11 | 11:17 AM
jmsharp02
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sleekbrian
I drive my is250 AWD with all season tires during the winter. It does not perform well, but manageable if driving carefully... Been looking to get some winter tires, but i just cant seem to fork over the money knowing ive been fine with all seasons for 2 winters.
All-seasons on my Audi A4 Quattro did great for the past 2 winters.
Old 11-06-11 | 11:57 AM
ddhleigh
Pole Position

I have a summer set and a winter set for my 09 is250 awd. Been too lazy to stick them on for now since the long range forecast doesn't show snow yet.

As others have said, get the winters. They don't take up too much space in the garage, they are reasonably priced and you don't run them year round so they'll last you a good few seasons if you swap back to summers. I mounted my winter tires on the OEM wheels and my summer tires are on my aftermarket wheels. (I was lazy and didn't want to go to a tire store to swap rubber each season on 1 rim set)

There is no other feeling then going up that mountain for a snowboarding trip and you are just passing people with ease
Old 11-06-11 | 02:14 PM
crazybuggy
Racer

during the third winter, it slid a lot. the IS is a small car and it doesnt have good ground clearance at all. i got stuck a few times as well. but id just back up and weave my way through. during the second winter, i was going at a fairly low speed, maybe 20mph?, and i braked as i was approaching a red light at an intersection and as i braked, the car didnt slow down or stop. i was SLIDING ON BLACK ICE. i slammed the brakes and put my E-brake down. i almost went into the intersection. luckily, i didnt. i would say the is250awd is an "OKAY" car for snow. all my experiences are with what you stated, an is250awd with all season tires. the first winter it went through, i cant recall any stories. GOODLUCK!
Old 11-06-11 | 02:33 PM
e46
Rookie

No matter what tires you have it won't make you a good driver, so being careful and taking it easy in bad weather conditions goes a long way. I've seen multiple people wipe out in snowy weather because they were driving too fast. I wanted an AWD IS mostly so I don't get stuck somewhere in the snow. I just hope my RX350 does well in the snow, because I plan on letting the IS sit in the nice warm garage once a snow storm hits. It's my first winter with both cars so we'll see what happens.
Old 11-06-11 | 02:34 PM
boss22
Driver

in my opinion awd car without proper snow tires is piece of crap in snow. Last snow storm I went to NY in the middle of fraking snow storm, I drove my current car 98 Altima with snow tires on the front only, the car was driving amazing but by the way I saw Audi Quattro (awd obviously) stucking in the snow out of the road and couple of suvs the same. I was sure they haven't proper snow tires on 'em, drivers of these cars surely have thought that awd in their cars going to save them - such a bullsh...t!

You will always need snow tires in the region where snowing much in winters - no matter if is FWD or AWD especially RWD!! This is my opinion.

Anyways I have IS 250 RWD and need to put snow tires on. I have steel rims already from 07camry they fit perfectly to IS 250 but I am not sure about TPMS do I really need them on steel rims, anybody knows?

Last edited by boss22; 11-06-11 at 02:45 PM.
Old 11-06-11 | 03:10 PM
Rychehawk
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the replies,

I drove the Genesis with Bridgestone Potenzas last year and it was manageable due it being a manual and I have allot of snow driving experience. But the longer commute made us look at AWD, I know snow tires are they way to go but I wanted to see how well it does on all seasons with care and experience and a few of you answered that.

Thanks again!
Old 11-06-11 | 03:18 PM
TripleL
No Substitute
CL Folding 1M

I think we may be driving on the some of the same roads.

My experience with my IS over the last 6 years is as follows:

With the OEM Bridgestone RE92s the car was fair at best especially after coming from my A4. The last 3+ winters with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S+ on the car I find the car to be excellent in the snow and the rain for that matter.

Like others have said good common sense fowl weather driving and a good set of A/S tires have done well by me. Good luck and drive safe
Old 11-06-11 | 04:38 PM
Gaugster
Advanced

Winter tires with aftermarket rims is what I use. To a lesser extent it depends on the type of OEM all seasons and condtion. The potenza are terrible even in the rain but last forever. The Dunlop Sport 5000 was a very good all season even in winter condition. However they would only last like 15k miles....
AWD with dedicated snow tires filled with nitrogen is as good as it gets....!
Old 11-06-11 | 04:40 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

It handles pretty well in snow actually.

Snow tires or not, when you lose traction while moving (ie. during a turn) it helps to have AWD because the car's traction control can make use of all 4 wheels to find traction as opposed to just the rear 2.
Old 11-06-11 | 05:38 PM
Black04IS
Rookie

Ive never had a problem with my AWD on all seasons in the snow. I also think there are benefits to the AWD regardless of tires, that the RWD guys don't acknowledge.

Quick Reply: How good is the IS250 AWD in the snow?