Search this Thread

Old 11-08-11, 07:05 PM
danhtran
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default !!!!Transmission Oil change

Hey there CL
I had a 2008 IS250 and it had 36,000 miles on it
Do i need to change my transmission oil now?
sorry if this question already been asked
Old 11-08-11, 08:48 PM
new.era.13
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no, it is not possible to fully change the transmission fluid. Also, it comes with lifetime fluid.
Old 11-08-11, 08:52 PM
danhtran
Pole Position

Originally Posted by new.era.13
no, it is not possible to fully change the transmission fluid. Also, it comes with lifetime fluid.
wat do u mean by fully change?
so i dont have to change it? but just add it on?
Old 11-08-11, 09:06 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You don't need to do anything to it.
Old 11-08-11, 09:22 PM
Pnthrzrule
Pit Crew

check out the owner's manual and call the dealership...they will both verify that you will never need to service the actual transmission for the life of the vehicle.
Old 11-08-11, 09:23 PM
new.era.13
Lexus Test Driver

its a sealed transmission, when you try to drain it, it will drain about 2-2.5 quarts, which isn't even close to the amount in the transmission.

Originally Posted by danhtran
wat do u mean by fully change?
so i dont have to change it? but just add it on?
Old 11-08-11, 09:29 PM
Cartune
Lexus Test Driver

i dont have a isx50 but do have a lexus and toyota. coulndt find any info.anyone is welcome to correct me. just imo, from what i heard. when the color is dark you can replace it, however can not replace the whole thing (everything). what ever in the transmission oil pan only. some oil are in the torque converter. after drain, then fill.

heres a color of new (red) and old (dark)

Old 11-08-11, 09:39 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's true for some cars, but newer Toyota/ Lexus use ATF WS , which usually last the lifetime of the car. You can change it if you want to put in the time and money.

To get all the fluid out you need the exchange machines they have at the dealership.
Old 11-08-11, 10:32 PM
danhtran
Pole Position

ok thanks a lot every1
so the ONLY oil that i need to change is the ENGINE OIL? which is 3000 miles or 5000 miles depend on oils u use?
Old 11-08-11, 10:38 PM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by danhtran
ok thanks a lot every1
so the ONLY oil that i need to change is the ENGINE OIL? which is 3000 miles or 5000 miles depend on oils u use?
depends really. if you search up the forums, you'll find many owners (including myself) run the oil to about 10-12k miles with synthetic. i know many people here (again including myself) use mobil 1 5w-30 or any viscosity close to that ranging from 0w-20 to 10w30.

you may want to change your brake fluid and at 100k, your coolant if i remember correctly.
Old 11-09-11, 05:35 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Toyota/Lexus states explicitly that the transmission fluid in the 2IS is a lifetime fluid and never needs to be changed. Indeed, in the recommended maintenance guide, it never says to change the transmission fluid because up until recently, you physically couldn't change the transmission fluid - you could only to a drain and fill, which changed only a quart or two of the whole system's worth of fluid.

However, there's apparently now a system/machine that can do a full transmission fluid change on the 2IS - there's a thread about it (in fact there are multiple threads on this exact issue). I have not heard where this service is available and how much it costs, but would love to know from someone who's had it done. Keep in mind when you go to a dealer and they recommend a transmission fluid change, you can be sure that 1) they're not adhering to the recommended maintenance guide since it's never recommended by Lexus, and 2) they're almost certainly only going to do a drain and fill which changes I believe only about 20% of the total transmission fluid.
Old 11-09-11, 06:10 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Quick summary of issues discussed in this thread:

The 2IS automatic uses a lifetime fluid, the manual explicitly states you do not ever need to service the transmission. At all.

Up until recently, it wasn't even physically possible to change more than 10-15% of the fluid even if you insisted on doing so for some bizarre reason, because there are no external connections to the transmission containing transmission fluid, and simply dropping the pan only gets that 10-15% out.

More recently, someone developed a part that replaces the heat exchanger built into the side of the transmission, providing a way to attach a fluid-exchange machine to the transmission. Thus, doing that, it's now possible to change all (or nearly all) the fluid. There remains, however, no reason to ever do so, per Lexus themselves.

Regarding engine oil- there hasn't been a reason to do 3,000 mile oil changes on any car made in many years short of severe duty driving (where you ONLY take very short trips, idle excessively, etc).

The manual states every 5k for conventional (factory fill on 06-10 models) and every 10k for synthetic (factory fill for 2011 250s for example).

Actual used oil analysis (which is the CORRECT way to judge the state of any fluid... looking at it's "color" doesn't actually tell you anything useful) has shown that conventional is fine with normal driving up to at least 7500-10k miles...and synthetic is fine well beyond that... You can likely run synthetic safely to at least 15-20k miles, but will want to change the oil filter halfway through.

As always UOA is the only way to be SURE that YOUR change interval is working well for YOUR vehicle and YOUR driving conditions... but the above guidelines are in line with the dozens of UOAs folks have posted here in the past.
Old 11-09-11, 06:21 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Isn't there a attachment at the radiation where you can while the engine is running purge the old fluid out while adding new fluid?
Old 11-09-11, 08:20 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Good stuff..

If it ain't broke don't fix it!
Old 11-09-11, 08:22 AM
Cartune
Lexus Test Driver

i change my synthetic oil every 5k. dont care if other people runs 10-15k etc for oil change. call me wasting money, but my car runs smooth and i enjoy driving it.

Quick Reply: !!!!Transmission Oil change