IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Repainting my car at....Maaco...

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-11, 06:23 AM
rmittim
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you guys for all of your useful information. I mean alot of useful information. It seems like that's a NO for me now and I won't even bother thinking about repainting or MAACO again

But I'm definitely gonna look into wrapping my car because I want a new look for my ride...thinking about Matte Orange for the whole car but the roof with black...

Originally Posted by RDIS250AWD
wrapping is definitely the way to go though you'll preserve the value of the car and vinyl is just as strong as clear bras. only thing with this is you won't be able to wax your car but cleaning it will be easy as far as getting bugs off etc. You can even wrap your whole car carbon fiber =) it costs about 1200-1400 for wrapping a whole car. Matte Black is pretty popular as far as wrapping. I would definitely look into that. I wrapped my roof carbon fiber and several interior and exterior panels.
You mean 1200 - 1400 including everything? Materials + labor? That price looks pretty good for my budget....BTW, do you know where is the cheapest place that I can buy the Vinyl from? I am thinking about doing it myself with couple friends of mine so that would save alot of money....

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
A wrap is a good idea, but it is very expensive. Most of the cost is labor, so if you can get the materials on your own and know how to wrap a car properly, you'll save most of the cost. A good wrap is going to cost more then the $1200 Maaco paint job for sure because of Labor. For the cost of most quality wraps, your not looking at too much more to just have a reputable shop prep and paint the car instead. But keep in mind doing the door jams and eveything makes the cost jump significantly if you want it completely repainted.

Curious, why do you want to paint the car. Is there something wrong with the front and rear bumpers or you just realized they are slightly off in color and want a whole new paint job now? lol
Yeah I am planning to wrap it with couple friends of mine...it would definitely save alot of money but hopefully somebody will do a DIY thread on how to wrap a whole car soon...
I am still doing some research on the best price of Vinyl that I can get...
And yeah, the front and rear bumpers are slightly off in color...especially the front bumper with alot of rock chips...it makes my car look so old...

Originally Posted by calvin2376
This absolutely will destroy the value of your car. The fact that the car was repainted will be very apparent to any potential buyers, and will become even moreso if they look up the VIN and see it was originally a different color. To understand why, look up Lexus' paint process and compare it to Maaco's.

That said, it's already a high mileage car, and if you're planning to drive it until the wheels fall off, then this may not be as big a concern to you. But if you DO drive it until the wheels fall off, I don't imagine the paint job will look very pretty by then..
That is very true and I was thinking about that too...thanks for your advice..I am planning to drive it until the wheels fall off but still I don't wanna efff my car up...

yeah I cheked this thread and these guys are good...but they charge 3500 - 4000 for a sedan... The work doesn't look that complicated to me...or maybe there are much more work than that.... And it seems like they don't take off any part but just wrap it and trim it...

Last edited by rmittim; 11-11-11 at 06:47 AM.
Old 11-11-11, 06:39 AM
rmittim
Driver School Candidate

Or if you really want/ need to save money do it yourself. I wrapped ny roof, currently molding and painting a Wald spoiler and completely re painted my s2000 last year https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=601931
Yeah, most likely I will try to do it myself...
Old 11-11-11, 06:43 AM
rmittim
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kingster
Most people here agree on the wrap. Here is my input
It seems to me that you are on a budget.
If you wrap your car for $1200 or more, how long do you think you will be happy with the look of your car. I think wraps is just a trend that will eventually be gone within the next five years.
After five years or less, you will literary be forced to unwrap your car for a number of reasons e.g. trade-in, sell, got bore/tire of it, out-style etc. and you will end up with the same csenario of repainting the whole car. The only good thing is that a wrap will preserve the existing paint and in three or five years you will be able to save big bucks for a whole body paint. Not from Macco!
Good luck
Yeah that is true. If the Vinyl could last for 2 - 3 years, that would be enough for me and maybe switch to another color after that...Thank you for your thoughts tho.
Old 11-11-11, 07:00 AM
rmittim
Driver School Candidate

Hey I checked out the link and the matte BMW looks very familiar to me. This guys is popular on the e90post forum. Here is the link to his thread and it's a DYI wrapping his whole car with matte black Vinyl.
The thing that drives me crazy here is that he said it only cost him $120 for material and he just did it himself....I'm like...man 120 bucks for the whole car....

So check this out guys I'm pretty sure this guy is everywhere on the forum.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...on+fiber+vinyl
Old 11-11-11, 07:04 AM
jmsharp02
Pole Position

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
....I'd love to see this topic of Walmart in the debate section
I'll do a throwdown on Walmart any day of the week!
Old 11-11-11, 07:28 AM
zinnerbug
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maaco sucks- dont do it
Old 11-11-11, 01:59 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

>>It is best to have the front and rear bumpers repainted by a high-end paint shop.<<

I'd say that is where the mind games started....if i can get the whole car painted for the cost of the 2 bumpers.....
Old 11-11-11, 03:23 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

^
Why get the whole car need to be repainted, therefore compromising/sacraficing the factory paint? It is just the front and rear bumpers were repainted while the body panels with factory paint is doing fine. I would recommend having a reputable or high end shop repaint the bumpers.

Of course if one can get the cost of repainting the car for the cost of two bumpers repainted, the quality most likely is not good either.

Last edited by Sango; 11-12-11 at 02:10 AM.
Old 11-11-11, 03:48 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Bad quality. Gald your not considering anymore
Old 11-11-11, 06:49 PM
IS3003o3
Pole Position

yep Maaco paint is pretty much ****. they barely prep and they want to do the least amount of work possible to disassemble parts. they can do your jambs but they will just [poorly] tape off parts they don't want to touch. it's horrible. for the price they offer it's definitely not worth it.
Old 11-12-11, 09:14 AM
alwaysrain
Driver School Candidate

Whatever you do, do not use Maaco. They'er work is subpar at best.
Old 11-12-11, 09:35 AM
LDNN
Driver

I'm sure you're already convinced by the rest of us here but just in case here's one more: I had a 1993 Acura Legend and made the mistake of using Maaco...like you said what a *****ty job that was. A waste of money!