IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

My Two Week IS350 Review

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-11, 11:16 AM
deltadelta
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Two Week IS350 Review

I'm just an average Joe giving my feedback after two weeks of owning my (new to me) IS350. Hopefully this will help someone out there.

PRIOR VEHICLES: (most recent to oldest) 2003 Honda Accord V6, 2003 Honda Pilot, 2004 Ford Freestar, 1998 Accord Coupe, 1992 Taurus SHO, 1986 Buick Regal.
CURRENT VEHICLES: 2007 IS350, 2008 Honda Odyssey, 1994 Harley Davidson Heritage Nostalgia
OTHER VEHICLES CONSIDERED: 2008ish Acura TL, 2007 BMW 335

HOW I GOT TO THE IS350

My search for a new vehicle began about six months ago. I was always drawn to the look of the ISx50. I decided to test drive a 2008 IS250 at a dealership and I was severely disappointed. No offense to any 250 owners out there, but the car was a dog. I felt it was very underpowered. But I still found the aesthetics of the vehicle quite beautiful.

After that test drive, I didn't really pursue any specific vehicles and sort of crossed the ISx50 off of my list. I continued to watch prices of cars and saw that some BMW 335s and Acura TLs were close to my price range.

About two months ago, I test drove a few Acura TLs. They were nice, but not all that different than my Accord (duh). I did like that they were quieter and 'felt' better. But they didnt offer much of an improvement over what I was driving. I then drove my uncle's 2007 335i coupe and LOVED it. I was really blown away by the car. I started to do more research on that specific vehicle and saw how costly an out of warranty bimmer could be. I was pretty bummed, but ruled it out on this principle alone.

As dumb luck would have it, I was waiting for my wife (surprise) one day and saw a black IS350 on a Chevy lot. I thought, "oh, I never considered the 350 before, lets take it for a drive". It was priced at $25K (lower than I had seen when I first started looking). I drove it and was WOWED.

So the search began again with some research. I really loved the reliability of the Lexus. I settled on the 350 and moved to finding one in my budget. I searched high and low and came up with a 2007 IS350 (Tungsten) with 45K miles, 18's, Lux Package, Nav, park assist for $23K via private party sale. I checked the service record via Lexus.com and found that the car was impeccably maintained. I bought the vehicle two weeks ago on a snowy Saturday!

MY EXPERIENCE THUS FAR

My very first impression was WOW and I am still awed by the vehicle every time I step in it. One thing that really impresses me is how well the car handles. I am not a particularly fast driver, but I now enjoy taking turns WAY faster than I ever have before. The car just sticks on the road. I also really enjoy how effortlessly this car 'pulls' (well, pushes). It seems like it just wants to 'go' all the time.

One thing that I do not particularly like is that at 80mph, I get a slight vibration in the steering wheel. I commute on a highway everyday and I can see where this might become a bit annoying. I will have to have the tires checked my first checkup.

Also, the navigation is a bit confusing for me. I've owned several vehicles with nav and this one seems a bit confusing so far. I'm also a bit frustrated that my iphone 3g will not sync my phonebook with the Lexus.

I also found the headlight washers interesting, but they spray stuff EVERYWHERE.

THE VERDICT

Overall, I would give the car a 9/10. I am very very happy with my purchase and would do it again tomorrow.
Old 11-10-11, 11:28 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Glad u like the car , and welcome to Clublexus. Let the mods bug begin lolz.
Old 11-10-11, 11:28 AM
Hoac
Pole Position

Originally Posted by deltadelta
One thing that I do not particularly like is that at 80mph, I get a slight vibration in the steering wheel. I commute on a highway everyday and I can see where this might become a bit annoying. I will have to have the tires checked my first checkup.
There is a cheep and very helpful mod to fix this. You can pick up the ISF Steering Damperner from sewell and put it into the steering wheel. Total time - 10 minutes. All you need is the correct Torx bit for your wrench and a phillips screw driver.

http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...2007/2123.html - $26

I would still have them check out your tires too, i've had problems on pervious cars with vibrations and it was caused by the wheels.

Also, the navigation is a bit confusing for me. I've owned several vehicles with nav and this one seems a bit confusing so far.
I've had my car for about 5 months now and the navigation unit still confuses the hell out of me some times. Not to mention that I am an IT manager for a fortune 500 company these things usually come pretty damn easy to me... not this one however lol

THE VERDICT

Overall, I would give the car a 9/10. I am very very happy with my purchase and would do it again tomorrow.
COMPETELY AGREED!!! Congrats on your new ride! Enjoy my friend
Old 11-10-11, 11:32 AM
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad to hear you're enjoying the car! I bought my 2007 IS350 back in September and I am still loving it.

Also, I agree with you about the navigation but you will get used to it as you use it more.
Old 11-10-11, 11:34 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Question, 86 Buick Regal, T-type?
Old 11-10-11, 11:46 AM
deltadelta
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
Question, 86 Buick Regal, T-type?
haha, no...i wish. it was the standard 86 regal with a 305. my first car...loved it.
Old 11-10-11, 11:47 AM
scampbell
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

congrats on the purchase, you really need to study the nav manual to understand all the features and how to use them. Also, as for synching the phonebook, I had to download a special bluetooth app that would send my phonebook as a certain file type to the car, that is for an android smart phone though, not sure if the apple store has anything similar... i used a program called bluetooth file transfer and it had an option for sending phonebook
Old 11-10-11, 11:51 AM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you enjoy taking turns with the IS350, you should consider getting the F-sport front and rear sway bars. This is by far the most useful and high impact modification you can possibly do to your IS350.

See this thread

Please note that every person who had started with only the F-sport rear sway bar and added the front sway bar later have noted a marked improvement. You'll find that many people opt to install the rear sway bar only, but I would not necessarily recommend going this route.

If you plan on installing the F-sport sway bars, plan on installing both at the same time.
Old 11-10-11, 11:52 AM
deltadelta
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Hoac
There is a cheep and very helpful mod to fix this. You can pick up the ISF Steering Damperner from sewell and put it into the steering wheel. Total time - 10 minutes. All you need is the correct Torx bit for your wrench and a phillips screw driver.

http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...2007/2123.html - $26

I would still have them check out your tires too, i've had problems on pervious cars with vibrations and it was caused by the wheels.

I've had my car for about 5 months now and the navigation unit still confuses the hell out of me some times. Not to mention that I am an IT manager for a fortune 500 company these things usually come pretty damn easy to me... not this one however lol

COMPETELY AGREED!!! Congrats on your new ride! Enjoy my friend

great tip on the steering wheel damper! fantastic!

thanks man!
Old 11-10-11, 11:53 AM
birador
Lead Lap

80mph wish i could do that here in illinois hiway-sometimes it needs wheel or tire balance but like what the gentleman commented before,there's a steering damper that helps ease or solve vibration,there's a DIY on how to install that part

+1 for your decision on purchasing LEXUS and good luck,
welcome and congrats
Old 11-10-11, 12:00 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And now that you own the car, you might find some of these reviews to be interesting.

IS350 vs G35 vs Acura TL (Road and Track): http://www.roadandtrack.com/var/ezfl...abd609bbf8.pdf

Here's a Car and Driver piece on the "Quickest Sedans of 2008: $30,000 to $40,000 (this is the highest range they go)" - http://www.caranddriver.com/features...30000-to-40000

You'll find that one of the most rewarding aspects of the IS350 is that it is deceptively powerful down low. The official acceleration times that Lexus states (0 to 60 in 5.3 seconds as of 2010) are grossly understated.

People have recorded as low as 0 to 60 in 4.7 seconds bone stock with the IS350. Only the 335i rivals this level of acceleration. Both the IS350 and 335i are head and shoulders above the rest of the competition (with the G37 or post-06 6MT G35 coming in a close 3rd) in this regard.
Old 11-10-11, 12:23 PM
BamaIS
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I considered the same vehicles as you when I was searching and moved to the IS for the same reasons. TL was boring to me and the 335i.....maintenance cost scared me. I have a IS250 and I agree it isn't that fast, but I got the 6 speed which helped and 95% of my driving is on the interstate with the cruise set at 75, so I can live with the 205 hp. My second car in high school was a 1987 Buick Grand National.
Old 11-10-11, 12:27 PM
Gville350

Received 433 Likes on 385 Posts

The 80mph vibration is probably a bent wheel. Happened to me when I got my '06 2IS earlier this year. Got one of a member on CL here, and that fixed the problem.
Old 11-10-11, 12:42 PM
Wunko
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's cool to hear you like your IS350! I love mine too.

Glad I'm not the only one who feels the Lexus navigation system is confusing compared to the recent aftermarket external ones I've tried. I do like having the navigation built-in with the car though.

Last edited by Wunko; 11-10-11 at 01:52 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-10-11, 01:20 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Glad your enjoying your "new to you" IS350! Get the f-sport rear sway bar and you'll really like the handling

Quick Reply: My Two Week IS350 Review