IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

tpms warning light

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-11, 08:19 PM
ISBU
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lot of Hawaii guys put their sensors in their spare tire. I did this when I had my AME FX wheels.
Old 11-10-11, 09:17 PM
kingster
Pole Position

When there is a way there is a will!
I am just old school and back in the old days with not much technology, we did not need all these stuff and if I did not need it then I feel TPMS don't need them now, but those lights are anoying.
Thanks for all the info. I know it was useful to me and others that had not had a chance to look through these links and find options.
Old 11-11-11, 08:59 AM
ThermonMer
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am about to swap my wheels. I would rather not pay to have the TPMS relocated to the aftermarkets, then once again when I need to put the stocks back on when i return the car.

What issues would I have riding without the sensors? Is it just the light on the dash, or will I also be dealing with constant beeping, i.e. no seatbelt signal.
Old 11-11-11, 10:30 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ThermonMer
I am about to swap my wheels. I would rather not pay to have the TPMS relocated to the aftermarkets, then once again when I need to put the stocks back on when i return the car.

What issues would I have riding without the sensors? Is it just the light on the dash, or will I also be dealing with constant beeping, i.e. no seatbelt signal.
Light on dash, plus the multidisplay (where it normally shows temp or mpg or whatever) will constantly say "CHECK SYSTEM" instead so it makes that display mostly useless.

Apart from that everything else still works.
Old 11-11-11, 10:47 AM
ThermonMer
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Light on dash, plus the multidisplay (where it normally shows temp or mpg or whatever) will constantly say "CHECK SYSTEM" instead so it makes that display mostly useless.

oh, thats a big deal...probably use that display more than i use my a/c, heat.

can i remove the tpms myself and just place it in the spare?
Old 11-11-11, 11:46 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

oh, thats a big deal...probably use that display more than i use my a/c, heat.

can i remove the tpms myself and just place it in the spare?
You can, but then your spare is useless.

Better, IMHO, is one of the pressurized canisters folks make (basically just a 4-6" PVC pipe, capped and filled with say 40 psi of air pressure, that the TPMS sensors are put into)

Realistically though- at that point you're already paying for removing them from the existing wheels... assuming your "new" ones aren't assembled yet it won't cost you much to put them in there rather than in the pipe canister (or spare tire).

You'll have to swap the sensors back into the stock wheels in either case too, so no added cost there.

So your only "extra" cost to actually install them in the new wheels, and have a working TPMS system for the years you have the car, is the cost of removing them from the aftermarket wheels once when you're ready to get rid of it.

And depending on the mileage between now and then the tires might be able ready to come off then anyway.
Old 11-11-11, 09:29 PM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz

Actually, since he has a 2010 model, it may just be the flashing yellow TPMS light in lower corner for 1 minute, followed by same light constantly on. I don't think the MFD is going to display anything since he has a 2010.
Old 11-12-11, 12:33 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mikes rx
Actually, since he has a 2010 model, it may just be the flashing yellow TPMS light in lower corner for 1 minute, followed by same light constantly on. I don't think the MFD is going to display anything since he has a 2010.
Huh... that'd certainly be a nice improvement on the 06-09 system... (not as nice as having it show you pressure in each tire like even the cheapest GMs do, but nice )... that'd certainly be pretty easy to live with long as you won't have a bunch of different passengers who'll keep asking "Hey, what's wrong with your car that you have a dash light on?"
Old 11-12-11, 02:57 AM
is150
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just leave your stock wheels with TPMS stacked up about 5-10 feet from your car in the garage. Upon start up your car will "sense" the TPMS in the stock wheels and the warning light will stay off. As long as you dont drive for more than approximatly 50 miles or so your warning light will stay off. If I do drive more than that and my warning light comes on, when I get home I just let the car idle for about 15 seconds to allow the car to "sense" the tpms in the stock wheels and the light turns off.

Edit: Sorry for the double post, just read similar responses on the first page

Last edited by is150; 11-12-11 at 03:04 AM.
Old 11-19-11, 09:01 PM
starknight
Lead Lap

ok guys, I got a problem now. I drove the car out for 50 mins away from my house, the tpms light pops up...The problem is that the check engine lights (the red triangle with "!" ) comes on too....what am I suppose to do now? is it suppose to pops up???? can I get rid of the check engine warning lights?
Old 11-19-11, 09:05 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

that isn't a check engine light, thats a check tpms warning light...

the only way to get rid of it is to install the sensors in the wheels you are currently using... (or buy a new set for those wheels)
Old 11-19-11, 09:07 PM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

Where are the tpms? Did you ever install a set in your new wheels? The check system lights are normal if they dont sense the sensors.
Old 11-19-11, 09:32 PM
starknight
Lead Lap

i didnt get a set of tpms in my new wheels. so both check tpms warning light(red light) and low tire pressure light (yellow) will stay on?
Old 11-19-11, 09:53 PM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

Well i already told you what happend to me. the lights disappeared when i was close to my tpms (in my garage), and reappeared when i went far away. But supposedly this is wrong according to another member. Why dont you just transfer them to your new wheels? Honestly the cost of doing so is totally worth getting rid of the annoying warning lights.

Last edited by mikes rx; 11-19-11 at 10:13 PM. Reason: not edited.....hit edit instead of quote
Old 11-19-11, 10:13 PM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sleekbrian
Well i already told you what happend to me. the lights disappeared when i was close to my tpms (in my garage), and reappeared when i went far away. But supposedly this is wrong according to another member. Why dont you just transfer them to your new wheels? Honestly the cost of doing so is totally worth getting rid of the annoying warning lights.

For the record, no one said you were wrong....all we said is that your reasoning/theory behind the statement was wrong because the system doesn't continuously check for the sensors....instead it's a periodic check.

But, I think everyone would agree that taking out original sensors and either putting them in new wheels or making TPMS canister is worth getting getting rid of annoying lights.

Quick Reply: tpms warning light