IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

MY 2is = momentum nazi, coaster hater!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-11, 11:12 PM
JYOO
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY 2is = momentum ****, coaster hater!

I dont know if every 2is has this horrible feature, but you know that dicatorship that slows your vehicle down without the use of brakes on downhill slopes, mine sometimes is even very aggresive, once enough to downshift hard enough to feel a jolt. Is there anyway of turning this feature off? I would love to get some free gas mileage by coasting down big hills i get on my way to work erry morning, or am i stuck with this momentum ****?? Thank for your help in advance fellers. OOh rah. Happy bday USMC errrrr, kill.
Old 11-10-11, 11:54 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Interesting because i don't have that issue with mine unless i hit the brakes going downhill, then the transmission downshifts. Have you tried resetting the computer? The car learns how you drive and adapts. Sometimes resetting it and driving the way you want fixes some issues like this....Just unplug the battery for a bit and hook it up again and it will be reset and ready to relearn.

Also do you drive with the car in PWR mode? I'm not 100% sure but that might cause the transmission to want to downshift and rev up going down hill.
Old 11-11-11, 12:17 AM
MrBBQ
Lexus Test Driver

^^ Mines only downshift when I hit the brakes, else it will coast faster and faster going downhill.

Btw, kinda late but Happy Marine Corps. Bday. Ooh Rah, Semper Fun Devil Dog. Aaaaaaatack, KILL!
Old 11-11-11, 12:21 AM
JYOO
Pole Position

So your car doesnt try to hold the speed at all going down hills? Crazy, I drive my car in normal mode only, no pwr or snow at all. Its cool sometimes but really starting to annoy me, its like riding your bike as a kid up a big *** hill and then having to walk it down the hill, i wanna freakin coast down that hill like im 7 years old again, you dig? haha, thanks, never thought about disconnecting my neg.battery terminal, is that how you reset your ecu on a 2is also? I hope that doesnt erase all the stuff i finally got onto my navi system n all.
Old 11-11-11, 12:38 AM
ISBU
Lexus Test Driver

You can put your trans on neutral to prevent the downshift. As mention above, don't hit the brakes when going downhill. I did not try this yet but try it in manual mode and see what happens. Most of the places I drive to is flat.
Old 11-11-11, 12:40 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JYOO
So your car doesnt try to hold the speed at all going down hills? Crazy, I drive my car in normal mode only, no pwr or snow at all. Its cool sometimes but really starting to annoy me, its like riding your bike as a kid up a big *** hill and then having to walk it down the hill, i wanna freakin coast down that hill like im 7 years old again, you dig? haha, thanks, never thought about disconnecting my neg.battery terminal, is that how you reset your ecu on a 2is also? I hope that doesnt erase all the stuff i finally got onto my navi system n all.
Yeah that will reset the ECU. There's 2 fuses you can pull also, if you do a search you should be able to find it. Not sure about erasing the stuff in the nav system, i'm assuming it does if you pull the battery. Not sure about the fuse reset method though.
Old 11-11-11, 12:40 AM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Doubt that it will make that much of a difference on gas mileage.
Old 11-11-11, 06:16 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ISBU
You can put your trans on neutral to prevent the downshift. .
Note- it's illegal to coast in neutral in most states
Old 11-11-11, 06:40 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine only down shifts until I want it too
Old 11-11-11, 11:42 AM
JYOO
Pole Position

^ Rub it in too bastard, haha.
Old 11-11-11, 12:12 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Yeah that will reset the ECU. There's 2 fuses you can pull also, if you do a search you should be able to find it. Not sure about erasing the stuff in the nav system, i'm assuming it does if you pull the battery. Not sure about the fuse reset method though.
Everything in the memory etc. will still be there. The map location will default to US9 iirc. So if your in Cali for example you'll need to change it back to US2
Old 11-11-11, 12:28 PM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JYOO
^ Rub it in too bastard, haha.

Old 11-11-11, 12:38 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If you pull battery… May need to set back the windows (except the newer car, it's in memory). For sure you would need to set navigation, heater preferences, and speed/tachometer indicator. Tank Avg/Ave will be lost and possibly the no passenger seat belt beep too.

Last edited by Sango; 11-11-11 at 12:50 PM.
Old 11-11-11, 01:39 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Sango
If you pull battery… May need to set back the windows (except the newer car, it's in memory). For sure you would need to set navigation, heater preferences, and speed/tachometer indicator. Tank Avg/Ave will be lost and possibly the no passenger seat belt beep too.
windows, navi, clock. I've unhooked my battery more times than I can count and I've never had to readjust the speed/tach indicator nor the passenger seat belt beep
Old 11-11-11, 03:36 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
windows, navi, clock. I've unhooked my battery more times than I can count and I've never had to readjust the speed/tach indicator nor the passenger seat belt beep
What year is your IS?

For my 2011, the speed/tach, resets to their default values when battery is out. I verfied it yesterday it by setting the ring to go off at 100 km/h and unplugged it for about 1/2 hr. After I plugged it back in, the value reverted back to 120 km/h.

As per the seat belt, possibly, as I was double checking the seat belt setting this morning but most likely I believe it is ok. My clock was reset as well.

The reason I did the unplug was days earlier, I was playing with the speed on/off and I did it too quickly that I ended up changing the default value by accident. Even I coudld eye ball it to move it to the the default value, I decided later on to just pull the battery out, since there is no "reset" like method to make it go to default.

Last edited by Sango; 11-11-11 at 03:43 PM.

Quick Reply: MY 2is = momentum nazi, coaster hater!