IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

help, car shaking

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-11, 07:57 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So a few things here:

1) The OP is having 2 issues, the one he's described in the first post AND the cam gear TSIB/engine cranking noise. They are unrelated. The first issue is throwing a CEL that's broken down in post 10.

2) The OP is NOT suffering from the carbon build-up issue, because he has a 350 and the carbon build-up issue only affects 250s. However, the symptoms are very similar.

3) As stated above, the Check VSC light is only on because the CEL is on (VSC light comes on any time there's a CEL on the 2IS).

4) Recalls are free no matter when, TSIBs are only free if they're covered by a warranty you're still under. If it's a powertrain TSIB (like the cam gear issue the OP is suffering from), then it will be covered for 6 years/70k miles.

5) As far as worrying about maintenance bills, don't worry about recalls because they're free. Outside the few TSIBs that affect many 2IS (carbon build up, cam gear, both of which covered by powertrain), there are very few common issues on the 2IS, and those that it does have are usually rattle-related. It's a very reliable car. However, that's why I'm so intrigued by this issue - I haven't heard of a problem causing symptoms like this on a 350.

6) Gas in a loaner car from the dealer is not free. If you don't fill it back up to the level it was at when you picked it up, they'll charge you.
Old 11-15-11, 09:14 AM
tjschraf
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all of the clarifications calvin.

I am really starting to (and hoping) believe that it is my spark plugs and wires. I have never changed them, they call for 60k. My car is only half that, but it is almost 6 years old. When did you guys do yours?
Old 11-15-11, 09:28 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by calvin2376
4) Recalls are free no matter when, TSIBs are only free if they're covered by a warranty you're still under. If it's a powertrain TSIB (like the cam gear issue the OP is suffering from), then it will be covered for 6 years/70k miles.
Or possibly to 100k miles if it's a 350 that had the valve spring recall and got a 100k powertrain warranty as a result

Originally Posted by calvin2376
6) Gas in a loaner car from the dealer is not free. If you don't fill it back up to the level it was at when you picked it up, they'll charge you.
This varies by dealer I guess, because mine has never, ever, charged me for fuel used in a loaner, even when I've used quite a bit of it.
Old 11-15-11, 11:23 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by Kurtz
This varies by dealer I guess, because mine has never, ever, charged me for fuel used in a loaner, even when I've used quite a bit of it.
It probably does vary, the two dealers nearest me have stated that as their policy (though I don't know if they'd really enforce it if I was having warranty work done, for example).

Originally Posted by tjschraf
I am really starting to (and hoping) believe that it is my spark plugs and wires. I have never changed them, they call for 60k. My car is only half that, but it is almost 6 years old. When did you guys do yours?
The scheduled maintenance guide states spark plug should be changed every 6 years or 60k miles, so you're not to either of those deadlines. It could be your spark plugs, but I'd be surprised since you're not at either deadline AND those deadlines are apparently extremely conservative. Everything I've read on CL and otherwise has stated that iridium plugs like those used in the 2IS should last twice the 60k miles Lexus recommends with no issues. It's of course always a good idea to abide by the maintenance guide, but you shouldn't run into problems even if you go past that mark for the spark plugs.

I have an 07 IS350 and I changed my plugs right at 60k miles a few months ago. I noticed absolutely no difference whatsoever in gas mileage or performance, which is what you'd expect given that the spark plugs can last much longer than the recommended 60k. A lot of people will claim on here they noticed a big difference, but I think that's the placebo effect hard at work; after someone spends 5 hours or $500 getting spark plugs changed, I can see how they'd hope to experience a big difference.

Definitely keep us posted, I'm very curious to know what the issue is.
Old 11-15-11, 11:40 AM
Gville350

Received 433 Likes on 385 Posts

Personally, being the DIY'er, I would start by replacing the spark plugs. Simple and straight forward. If that CEL came back I would swap coil packs around to see if that "bad" pack switched to a different cylinder. If so, simple fix...replace the pack. If no change, I would lean towards a O2 sensor...and that's at the point it starts to get pricey.
Old 11-15-11, 12:17 PM
tjschraf
Driver

I figured id wait until they diagnose it since they are doing it for free. The service guy said that if it is serious, there is a good chance lexus would help me out. since the car had so many recalls, was always maintained at the dealer, has the upgraded 100k powertrain, and only 26k
Old 11-17-11, 02:35 PM
tjschraf
Driver

Update, I took my car in today. They told me it was the spark plugs, so they went ahead and replaced them for like 280$ I would do them myself but I think I would rather have it on them if another problem arises. I also made a complaint with Lexus for a reimbursement. I understand that they are wear and tear related, but I have not hit 6 years or 60k. What do you guys think, will they reimburse?
Old 11-17-11, 02:39 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by tjschraf
Update, I took my car in today. They told me it was the spark plugs, so they went ahead and replaced them for like 280$ I would do them myself but I think I would rather have it on them if another problem arises. I also made a complaint with Lexus for a reimbursement. I understand that they are wear and tear related, but I have not hit 6 years or 60k. What do you guys think, will they reimburse?
No I don't at all. As Kurtz said above, 2006 models went on sale summer 2005, and the scheduled maintenance guide's recommendations for how long until maintenance intervals is required are based off when the vehicle went into service, not its model year. So if your car was purchased in 2005, which is very likely, you're already at 6 years. Even if it was purchased in 2006, you're at between 5 and 6 years. So the spark plugs were due anyway.
Old 11-17-11, 02:58 PM
tjschraf
Driver

I don't hit the 6 years until July. So I was thinking that I have some kind of argument. Either way, if it is fixed for 280$ it's not the end of the world. Also, since I have the extended powertrain to 100k and every single maintenance item has been done and done at the dealership.
Old 12-02-11, 09:55 AM
tjschraf
Driver

update, the car has been running great. And Lexus even decided to reimburse me the full amount of the spark plugs and labor.