IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

help, car shaking

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-11, 05:07 PM
tjschraf
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help, car shaking

Hey guys, I hope this has not been posted before if it has please steer me to the thread. I am using my phone and search is not easy. I took my IS 350 on a roadtrip this weekend and it is shaking at stops, the tachometer keeps fluctuating back and forth (not too excessive). At one point I gave it gas on the highway and the car started to chug and a light was flashing but I could not see what it was, I think engine or possibly gas light (had around a quarter tank).

How can I see if my car is still under warranty without having to call a dealer? It is an 06 with 25k, so i assume that powertrain still working? it definitely seems to be powertrain related.
Old 11-12-11, 05:30 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did it do it one time? or a few times? ive read a few post about 350's doing that n then being fine after you turn it off and then back on.
Old 11-12-11, 07:08 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Powertrain warranty is 6 years... the first 2006 models went on sale in late summer of 2005... so those are beyond 6 years already... the majority of 2006 models will still be under 6 years, but not all of them.

Only way to be sure is to have a dealer check the VIN of the car- they can look up the cars In-service date (when it was first sold) and tell you if it's more or less than 6 years ago.
Old 11-13-11, 08:59 AM
tjschraf
Driver

Today, it is worse. My engine light is on permanent and traction control light on along with a warning to check vsc. Anyone have any idea?
Old 11-13-11, 09:08 AM
Denver
Lead Lap

get the CEL checked out
Old 11-13-11, 10:45 AM
birador
Lead Lap

the best possible solution is to go to the dealer,there's a lot of factor involving your problem and ask them first about the your warranty.
Old 11-13-11, 01:15 PM
Gville350

Received 433 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by Denver
get the CEL checked out
X2...get the CEL checked at like a AutoZone/Advance Auto for free. Report back on the code findings.
Old 11-13-11, 01:58 PM
tjschraf
Driver

It came up as cylinder 5 misfire, code p0305. Don't know what that really means
Old 11-13-11, 02:41 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

You need to check your spark plugs. Engine 5 is not working properly,
Old 11-13-11, 05:10 PM
birador
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tjschraf
It came up as cylinder 5 misfire, code p0305. Don't know what that really means
P0305 Code - Cylinder #5 Misfire
Technical Description

Cylinder #5 Misfire Detected
What does that mean?

A P0305 code means that the the car's computer has detected that one of the engine's cylinders is not firing properly. In this case it's cylinder #5.
Symptoms
Symptoms may include:

the engine may be harder to start
the engine may stumble / stumble, and/or hesitate
other symptoms may also be present

Causes

A code P0305 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

Faulty spark plug or wire
Faulty coil (pack)
Faulty oxygen sensor(s)
Faulty fuel injector
Burned exhaust valve
Faulty catalytic converter(s)
Running out of fuel
Poor compression
Defective computer

Possible Solutions

If there are no symptoms, the simplest thing to do is to reset the code and see if it comes back.

If there are symptoms such as the engine is stumbling or hesitating, check all wiring and connectors that lead to the cylinders (i.e. spark plugs). Depending on how long the ignition components have been in the car, it may be a good idea to replace them as part of your regular maintenance schedule. I would suggest spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap, and rotor (if applicable). Otherwise, check the coils (a.k.a. coil packs). In some cases, the catalytic converter has gone bad. If you smell rotten eggs in the exhaust, your cat converter needs to be replaced. I've also heard in other cases the problems were faulty fuel injectors.
Old 11-13-11, 05:43 PM
tjschraf
Driver

Thank you guys, I am planning on doing new spark plugs this week. I am surprised though that no one else has experienced this. and why does it say check vsc on my screen along with another light for what appears to be traction control? but the code reader only came out with tthe misfire
Old 11-13-11, 06:31 PM
casotto
Driver School Candidate

My best line of action would be to visualy ceck the #5 plug. If to you doesn't look any different than usual, just put a new-one and try!
Either the problem persists or is gone. If still persists i would suggest the culprit would be the pick-up coil pack.
Good luck ....and let us know the outcome!
Old 11-14-11, 09:03 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tjschraf
Thank you guys, I am planning on doing new spark plugs this week. I am surprised though that no one else has experienced this. and why does it say check vsc on my screen along with another light for what appears to be traction control? but the code reader only came out with tthe misfire
Anytime there's a CEL the car shuts off the VSC system, which causes the "Check VSC" light. So anytime there's a CEL, there's a Check VSC light. 9 times out of 10 the issue is not with VSC, it's totally unrelated, but the car still shuts off VSC.
Old 11-14-11, 01:52 PM
tjschraf
Driver

hey guys, I just went to the dealer and am dropping it off on friday. they are going to diagnose it for free since they are doing the tsib on the engine startup noise. They said that the problem may be something i can take up with lexus corporate since the mileage is so low. if it is not a powertrain problem that is.
Old 11-14-11, 02:44 PM
Miggs
Driver

Carbon build up!

if your car makes noise at start up i would guess youre using cheap fuel?
Mine has done it 3 different times. each time i was out of state where the gas station i stopped at only had 87 octane? something way below 90..
oh and BTW mine has had both VVT actuators replaced, they were replaced for this same noise and CEL.
AKA 5K repair... LExus paid for it

anyways it sounds like carbon build up to me.. Direct injected engines are popular for it.

Quick Reply: help, car shaking