IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

F-Sport Quick Shifter Install Notes (No Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-11, 12:09 PM
afx588
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F-Sport Quick Shifter Install Notes (No Pics)

Intro:
The quick shifter came with a pretty detailed installation manual. I found the install to be very straightforward, but I ran into several issues due to space constraints. I’d like to share some tips and suggestions that’ll hopefully be of use to you.

Pre-Installation:
The install location is located right at the center of the car. If you raise the front or back only, there will not be enough clearance for you to work under. Since I only had a cheap jack and 2 jack stands, I had to get creative and use 2 scissor jacks + 2x4s to get enough clearance. Make sure you have the right equipment, or enough equipment to raise the car.

Check the package! Mine did not come with the sealant (“Genuine Seal Packing Black” / “Three Bond 1207B), so I just went to the local auto parts store and got a small tube of Permatex Grey RTV sealant.

Installation:
There are two ways to gain access to the shifter. One is to take of portions of the exhaust (which I didn’t do, because it seems like too much extra work, plus you have to replace the screws and gaskets off the exhaust). The other way is to take off the center floor brace, unbolt the heat shield and push it back as far as you could (I took this route). Having gone the 2nd way, I think that the 1st way gives you just slightly more room than the 2nd way, but isn't worth the effort.

With the heat shield pushed back, the first thing that you see is the drive shaft. The shifter is right above the drive shaft, so you have no line of sight and no direct access. You may want to think the situation over and see if you still want to attempt the install or pay someone to do it.

If you decide to keep going, you can now go ahead and just tear off the stock shifter boot (the quick shifter comes with a new one). With the shifter boot off, you can see the shifter assembly and the “E-Ring” that holds it together (it’s on the driver’s side). I read from other member’s posts that the E-ring was difficult to remove and re-install. For me, the removal part was fairly easy. The manual’s tool of choice is a screwdriver, but I found that there’s no room for it. I took a flat head screw driver bit, and used that to pry off the E-ring (took about 2 minutes).

Save the E-ring and the two plastic collars removed from shifter assembly. Now it’s time for what I think is the 3rd hardest part of the install: putting on the new shifter boot. I tried for a long time and that sucker just wouldn’t go on. I did some research and a fellow forum member (can’t remember the username) mentioned to install the boot inside out, or something along those lines. It took me a while to figure it out, but what he meant was that you basically slip the boot on, pull on it, so that when the shifter goes through, the boot is inside out. You then just flip the boot back out and you’re golden.

Installing the short shifter itself was relatively painless. After the shifter is assembled, it’s time to put everything back together, which leads to the 2nd hardest part of the install: putting the E-ring back on. There’s really no easy way to do this, you just have to be patient and keep trying. After a while I was able to push the E-ring so it stays in place, then pushed it in with the tip of the plier. Now’s a good time to check the short shifter operation before you put everything back on.

Now, the hardest part of the install for me was to attach the opening of the shifter boot to the circular lip above. Actually, I was not able to get the boot opening to catch on the lip. It was very difficult to stretch the opening of the shifter boot, because there’s a ring of material around the opening (basically the opening is smaller than the diameter of the boot), and also since everything is assembled now, there is even less room to work with. Eventually I just stuck the boot up as far up as I could, and called it a day.

Driving Impression
I actually went all out and got the F-sport shift **** too, so this is review is actually with the F-sport quick shifter & **** combo. The F-sport shift **** is taller than the stock shift ****, but weight wise they feel about the same. If anything, the stock **** feels slightly heavier. I believe the quick shifter claimed 30% reduction in shifts, but to me it felt like 50% or more. I used to drive my friend’s 2005 STI a lot, and the shift distance is comparable, or even slightly shorter than the STI. The notchiness going into first gear, and first to second gear is gone. Going into each gear feels more precise, driving experience is greatly enhanced. Great product, highly recommended.
Old 01-02-12, 03:47 PM
Jpwdogg
Driver School Candidate

Nice write up. I just installed mine this afternoon. Your right about this being in a very tight spot. I also opted to remove only the crossbrace and slid down the heatshield. When done this way and using jack stands or rhino ramps like I did, this is basically a one handed operation. Not enough room to extend your arms in a small space. I used a mini 90 degree pic tool to pull down on the e clip. Worked great since a screwdriver is tough to get in there. The replacement boot took me a long time to get over the arm. I ended up using needle nose pliers to pull it over the arm. Took 15 seconds after I wasted 20 min on other ways, again, a one handed task. The rest is fairly easy and straight forward. I found it east to install the e clip back on. Put it in place by hand from the side and it should stay in place long enough to use the flat side of a screwdriver to push it on with ease.

Hardest part: reinstalling the boot over the lever mount lip. I tried for a half hour and also gave up. There is no way to do this with one hand. Do you think it's a bad idea to leave it like this?
Old 01-02-12, 04:57 PM
09is250mt
Driver School Candidate

Having installed short shift kits on other cars, my experience is that they add to shift effort and notchiness. I am interested in driving impressions that make the first to second gear "scratch" go away. Do you have a part number or picture of the kit?
Old 01-02-12, 05:05 PM
Jpwdogg
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 09is250mt
Having installed short shift kits on other cars, my experience is that they add to shift effort and notchiness. I am interested in driving impressions that make the first to second gear "scratch" go away. Do you have a part number or picture of the kit?
Check it out here: http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...2008/1802.html

It has a very detailed PDF on the install on that page. Shifting is a lot smoother than stock. First to second shifting goes from clunk to click. Highly recommended.
Old 01-02-12, 05:11 PM
09is250mt
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jpwdogg
Check it out here: http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...2008/1802.html

It has a very detailed PDF on the install on that page. Shifting is a lot smoother than stock. First to second shifting goes from clunk to click. Highly recommended.
Thank you for the link. Wish I would have thought of this when I had the transmission recall done.
Old 01-02-12, 05:16 PM
Jpwdogg
Driver School Candidate

Dealer quoted me $120 for labor. I'm not a mechanic, but I did it myself in an hour and a half. I'm glad I gave it a shot.