IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

BAD Mileage! 17 MPG normal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-11, 06:59 PM
toony15333
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BAD Mileage! 17 MPG normal?

I have been getting 17MPG since the day I bought my car. Im driving more in the city than highway, probably something like 80% city 20% highway. Anyone here, getting that sort of bad mileage? I'm not even rough on the pedals... even my dad drives faster on his CX-7 and gets better mileage than me... Any helps to point out what I am doing wrong?

Last edited by toony15333; 11-13-11 at 07:02 PM.
Old 11-13-11, 07:04 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It almost sounds like it. I've seen that on the tank avg when I had my IS250 AWD. Could be that the gas stations have reverted to the winter blends which would burn fuel faster as opposed to the normal blend.

If you had RWD on the other hand, you use less l/100km (or gain up to 3 MPG) on your gas.

What is your total distance before you had to refuel?

Last edited by Sango; 11-13-11 at 07:07 PM.
Old 11-13-11, 07:04 PM
BrandonT
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by toony15333
I have been getting 17MPG since the day I bought my car. Im driving more in the city than highway, probably something like 80% city 20% highway. Anyone here, getting that sort of bad mileage? I'm not even rough on the pedals... even my dad drives faster on his CX-7 and gets better mileage than me... Any helps to point out what I am doing wrong?
Same thing's happening to my 2006 IS250 AWD. I thought it was spark plugs, so I had it changed. Technician tells me one of the spark plugs was drenched in oil. He also said that he heard ticking from the engine, and told me that I needed to do a valve adjustment (?). He said I should change my gaskets when I do the valve adjustments.

Anyone have any suggestions? Should I do it? Is it normal? My car is at 97k miles.
Old 11-13-11, 07:06 PM
LDNN
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an 07 IS250...I get 24 city and 33 plus highway. I travel two weeks a month for work and I can get from Houston to New Orleans under one tank. Not sure if the AWD is less on the MPG but 17 is low in my opinion.

What is the advertised MPG for your car? If significantly higher than 17 MPG then you need to contact the dealer. Let us know what happens.
Old 11-13-11, 07:09 PM
NimaM
Lead Lap

I have an IS250 AWD and drive 90% in the city like a grandma. During summer time I get up to 22 MPG, but during Fall or Winter when it gets cold I get about 20-21MPG. But as soon as I get a little rough, the MPG goes in the 17-19MPG range. It really depends on how long I get stopped at traffic lights and cold weather conditions. But, if I drive on the freeway the MPG goes up. I have reached 34MPG in longer trips.
Old 11-13-11, 07:13 PM
Sango
Pole Position

AWD will always have less MPG since the engine has to work harder since there are more moving parts besides being 89 kg / 196 lb heavier in comparision to RWD.

Especially with winter blends, at lower speeds the gas usage would be more noticable as compared to the higher speeds. It also depends on the roads you're using too. For my route I would take, I go up a mountain too to go to my home at city speeds and have seen a 17-18 tank ave for this during winter, factorying in my highway travel as well. When it was back to normal blends, the fuel went back to about low 20s.

Last edited by Sango; 11-13-11 at 07:24 PM.
Old 11-13-11, 07:23 PM
toony15333
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Sango
It almost sounds like it. I've seen that on the tank avg when I had my IS250 AWD. Could be that the gas stations have reverted to the winter blends which would burn fuel faster as opposed to the normal blend.

If you had RWD on the other hand, you use less l/100km (or gain up to 3 MPG) on your gas.

What is your total distance before you had to refuel?
I travelled like 110km on my last trip before I refuelled it.

Originally Posted by LDNN
I have an 07 IS250...I get 24 city and 33 plus highway. I travel two weeks a month for work and I can get from Houston to New Orleans under one tank. Not sure if the AWD is less on the MPG but 17 is low in my opinion.

What is the advertised MPG for your car? If significantly higher than 17 MPG then you need to contact the dealer. Let us know what happens.
The advertised MPG on the canadian goverment website is a 22MPG, I guess I'll be paying a visit the to dealership tomorrow to have more explainations.

Originally Posted by NimaM
I have an IS250 AWD and drive 90% in the city like a grandma. During summer time I get up to 22 MPG, but during Fall or Winter when it gets cold I get about 20-21MPG. But as soon as I get a little rough, the MPG goes in the 17-19MPG range. It really depends on how long I get stopped at traffic lights and cold weather conditions. But, if I drive on the freeway the MPG goes up. I have reached 34MPG in longer trips.
Same here, I have been driving really smooth, maybe it's normal and I just need to get used to it.
Old 11-13-11, 07:28 PM
Sango
Pole Position

I travelled like 110km on my last trip before I refuelled it.

The advertised MPG on the canadian goverment website is a 22MPG, I guess I'll be paying a visit the to dealership tomorrow to have more explainations.

Same here, I have been driving really smooth, maybe it's normal and I just need to get used to it.
If it is 110 km travelled from full tank and went to empty, that sounds like a problem.

The 22 MPG from the Canadian Governemnt or from fueleconomy.org is only approximate based on some certain criteria. I do not even believe it factors in about the normal / winter fuel blends in it.

I know because I actually brought my AWD to the dealership and asked them the same question a year ago and the advisor told me about the blends and about all cars do that. With AWD, the impact of the blends would be more noticable.
Old 11-13-11, 07:33 PM
toony15333
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Sango
If it is 110 km travelled and went to empty from full tank, that sounds like problem.

The 22 MPG from the Canadian Governemnt or from fueleconomy.org is only approximate based on some certain criteria. I do not even believe it factors in about the normal / winter fuel blends in it.

I know because I actually brought my AWD to the dealership and asked them the same question a year ago and the advisor told me about the blends and about all cars do that. With AWD, the impact of the blends would be more noticable.
With a full tank , I probably can drive for about 450km to 500km, last time I refuelled was because gas price was going up but 110km represent like 1/4 of usage from the gauge. I guess thats quite normal for that mileage with an awd.. maybe I just need to get used to it. xD
Old 11-13-11, 07:38 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

That's about right for city driving.
Old 11-13-11, 07:43 PM
Sango
Pole Position

With a full tank , I probably can drive for about 450km to 500km, last time I refuelled was because gas price was going up but 110km represent like 1/4 of usage from the gauge. I guess thats quite normal for that mileage with an awd.. maybe I just need to get used to it. xD
Almost sounds about right but I think you could get higher, more like close 600km or higher.

When I drove AWD, from full tank I would get down to 1/4 going travelling 179 km straight freeway driving non-stop with both normal and probably less than that on winter blend (difference was too little for needle to move but most likely used more fuel). At the city speed and the mountain, the difference was noticable by the time it came to refueling from empty.
Old 11-13-11, 08:00 PM
Toymota
Pole Position

Here are some random reasons for bad mileage that I'm just throwing out there:
- City driving. Accelerating uses more gas than maintaining a steady speed. Try to time traffic lights by increasing or decreasing your speed so you get to the intersection when your light is green and you don't have to stop and start so much. Coasting in the IS is great for gas mileage because the transmission and torque converter allow engine braking and the fuel injectors will shut off.
- Letting the car idle for several minutes to warm up. You're just burning gas and going nowhere which means 0 mpg. For best gas mileage, you should drive off straight away.
- Cold starts and short trips. The engine runs rich and uses more gas after a cold start to warm up faster. This could be for the first 2-10 miles depending on how cold it is. If you only drive a few miles and shut off the engine, it will cool down (again depending on the ambient temperature) and have to waste gas to warm up again.
- Driving around in "S" mode instead of "D" by accident. Just in case you didn't know, "S" mode starts off using only gears 1 to 4 unless you select otherwise. "D" mode uses all 6 gears.
Old 11-13-11, 08:10 PM
birador
Lead Lap

that's sound right and reasonable.maybe on those cases that you spend more driving in city that sometimes you tend more to idle and the stop and go thing will be a big factor why you have a low mpg.
Old 11-13-11, 08:17 PM
Hoac
Pole Position

I drive the exact opposite from you, about 80% freeway and 20% side streets.

I've got about 60 miltes on the freeway daily.

I'm getting an average of about 24 mpg. There are some times where I drive rather fast for a peroid of time trying to get to work on time, and on an almost daily basis I end up sitting in traffic for about 30 minutes bumper to bumper on my way home.

I think it is just about as expected, what do yall think?
Old 11-13-11, 08:34 PM
MyIS350G
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damn thats pretty bad for 250awd! i usually get 19-21 avg on my 350

Quick Reply: BAD Mileage! 17 MPG normal?