IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

why do you lower a car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-11, 06:49 PM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by aznxenon
it'll also help you get the ladies, kind of like axe but better.

In scenario a:
You meet a hot chick at the bar, about to take her home when her fat friend decided to I need a ride home!

Hot chick's friend: Hiiii :d can i get a ride home?
You: Sorry rosie, my ride will scrape if i take you too. *takes hot chick away, win*

lmao!!!!!!!!
Old 11-15-11, 06:56 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I do it cause it looks SICK!! and THIS!!!
Attached Thumbnails why do you lower a car?-rolling-shot-bos.jpg   why do you lower a car?-no-fat-chicks-.jpg  
Old 11-15-11, 06:58 PM
metalgear
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lalewla
Aznxenon, since I’m a hot chick, I need to know scenario B. "how pick up a hot guy." *sultry wink*
Lol! I think it would be much easier for you to pick up guys since majority of the people that lower their cars are males. Especially if you have the flush look.

But to answer your question, it's mostly for looks. The tire gap is just an eye sore for us that love the lowered look.
Old 11-15-11, 07:11 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

It looks better with the wheel arches filled. The gap looks funny IMO.
Old 11-15-11, 07:15 PM
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sffd103
I do it cause it looks SICK!! and THIS!!!
LMAO! Where did you get that sticker?
Old 11-15-11, 07:18 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

People lower their cars to fxck up their lip lol. Seriously, when people lower their cars they most likely put a set of aftermarket rims on it and it wont look right if it were at stock height.
Most people go for the "flush" look which is when a car is lowered but not slammed leaving about a half inch of wheel gap and the rims have perfect offset. These are most likely daily drivers.

This is considered flush (ignore the rsx in the background lol)

At the end of the day it all comes down to our different opinions because everyone doesnt have the same perspective on things. So, how do you like the lowered look?
Old 11-15-11, 07:23 PM
TheDream
Rookie

lmao: http://www.ebay.com/itm/No-Fat-Chick...646939&vxp=mtr

back to the topic at hand, it's more so for the look than performance/handling. Lowering springs/struts tend to be stiffer since there's a greater likelihood of bottoming out. That's where the handling improvements come from.
Old 11-15-11, 07:48 PM
MrBBQ
Lexus Test Driver

Mainly for looks, a lot of us cannot stand the wheel gap. Body roll when cornering is reduced, front doesn't dip as much under hard braking, but overall, the car in our opinion looks better and handles better. Tons of different setups to get to what you want. Some springs are soft, some are stiffer (spring rate). Coilovers allow a person adjust the height and damping of their car by tweaking the suspension. Air suspension allow adjustable height at the push of a button. Might seem overwhelming with so many options but a lot of people asked questions to get to where their car is today. Check out the suspension thread, lots of good knowledge there.
Old 11-15-11, 07:54 PM
lalewla
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks everyone for the responses. i think i'm starting to understand.

Originally Posted by SRTGS300
So, how do you like the lowered look?
i really like the look. i'm not sure it's for me and my IS but from the photos posted here it looks great.
Old 11-15-11, 08:05 PM
kingster
Pole Position

Cool

Great guys.
I love the low rider video. It reminds me of my old times. Low, looks better 100%. Let me share with you all my friend's experience. Back in the late 80's a friend had a lowered Susuki Samurai and another friend had his but not lowered. In looks, there was a big difference. I know Susukis were not meant to be lowered because they are Jeeps but tell that to my friend whose Jeep was not lowered. He took a sharp curve at 55mph and his Jeep went tumbling. Compared to my other friend's lowered Susuki. His was always stable on the ground. So, all these guys here are right on their comments.

Come on guys! NOthing wrong if driving with 3 fat chick in your Lexus. I love them all. In fact, they would give you that instant lowering look and no need to spend thousands of cash on coils, bags etc.

Keep up the good work guys
Low rider, it makes you go slower, Low rider, hot chicks always want to ride on one.
Old 11-15-11, 08:06 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i really like the look. i'm not sure it's for me and my IS but from the photos posted here it looks great.
Perhaps you can start off with the F-sport springs? It only lowers the car a little bit.
Old 11-15-11, 08:06 PM
A_Grasso
Lexus Test Driver

Most people do it for looks, but I did it for handling purposes
Old 11-15-11, 08:13 PM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are tons of function reasons but here is a MAJOR reason..to look like this!

Old 11-15-11, 08:16 PM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

Kumquatism, thanks, but on some cars that have been lowered, I see very little gap between the tire and the fender. Does that cause problems? I would imagine you would have to handle speed bumps very carefully.
Of course. You have to be more wary of potholes, bumps, and everything else in between. Having little to no gap means you don't have as much clearance as you used to. Going over a speed bump too fast can rub your tires up on your fender lining (or worse: your fender). Also, you can scrape your front lip on things too. It's not as bad as it sounds, just some changes in your driving habit. Things that you could otherwise overlook in a car at stock height.
Old 11-15-11, 08:32 PM
VIS250P
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kumquatism
Of course. You have to be more wary of potholes, bumps, and everything else in between. Having little to no gap means you don't have as much clearance as you used to. Going over a speed bump too fast can rub your tires up on your fender lining (or worse: your fender). Also, you can scrape your front lip on things too. It's not as bad as it sounds, just some changes in your driving habit. Things that you could otherwise overlook in a car at stock height.
True that, I avoid pothole and also I memorize everywhere I go... U gotta learn how to drive on lower car... IT is not easy but u can learn.. GO coil bro no spring...

U know what I like to see people break their neck see my ride.. LOL that is funny moment for me...

Last edited by VIS250P; 11-15-11 at 08:51 PM.

Quick Reply: why do you lower a car?