rookieIS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

99% of the time it's for looks
Old 11-15-11, 09:39 PM
HeartmyIS
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks and performance, when lowered at the right height your center of gravity is lower and your car handles better. But if you're as low as me...it's really not drivable at all and I don't enjoy my car anymore.
Old 11-15-11, 09:41 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by whitebeast
Here is benefit of lower your car:
1. better handling (at corner and late break)
yes...and no...

There's two issues here-

One, there is such a thing as too low. Lobuxracer has discussed this before, where the roll center of the car actually ends up below the road surface- then it handles worse. I've yet to see any evidence that anyone knows the "ideal" height for handling on a 2IS... so for all we know the stock sport suspension is already there. It'll take a good driver with good coilovers and a fair amount of track testing to really answer that question.

Two, most lowering springs are progressive rate springs, which is a compromise that's not only not great at anything and is less predictable on a track than linear springs, it's also impossible to match a shock to the full range of the spring.

2. Stop your car sooner (someone correct me if i was wrong)
ok, you're wrong.

If you want to stop shorter you need better tires, not a suspension upgrade.... (better brakes won't help here either... the tires are what stops the car)

3. Mainly reason to lower your car is LOOKS WAY BETTER
many folks think so... me I hate scraping the front lip on low curbs or the whole car on speed bumps or driveways... a lesson my wife learned too when she lowered her supra against my advice, and 6 months later swapped it back.
Old 11-15-11, 10:09 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by HeartmyIS
Looks and performance, when lowered at the right height your center of gravity is lower and your car handles better. But if you're as low as me...it's really not drivable at all and I don't enjoy my car anymore.
Yep, that's the main reason I haven't lower my car ... I'll worry about it too much. I'm almost sure I'll scrape the front when parking on those raised concrete block things (what's the purpose of those anyways :/
Old 11-15-11, 10:30 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
I hate scraping the front lip on low curbs or the whole car on speed bumps or driveways...
BLASPHEMER!!! If you're not scraping you're not low enough

Last edited by llamaboiz; 11-16-11 at 12:52 AM.
Old 11-16-11, 05:47 PM
Olivers350
Driver School Candidate

Mostly cosmetic, I lowered my IS on road magnet springs and handling actually improved too!
Old 11-16-11, 07:05 PM
Mike_1GO
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

minimizing the gap b/w the fender arch and the tire gives the car a better stance which in turn is more visually apprealing but that of course depends on the kind of car being lowered and how much its being lowered. too low doesnt look good. its gotta be lowered just enough...
Old 11-16-11, 07:36 PM
mjh09e
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I lowered my car to make my car perform as good as it looks. This IS is a very sporty looking car, but a lot of reviews state that it looks way better than it actually performs.

Throw on some coilovers (for adjustability) and a sway bar and you are good to go
Attached Thumbnails why do you lower a car?-309742_233158293412495_155509744510684_638033_986585762_n.jpg   why do you lower a car?-391231_233158360079155_155509744510684_638034_1836000541_n.jpg   why do you lower a car?-img_0152.jpg  
Old 11-16-11, 08:06 PM
birador
Lead Lap

here's my contribution:

Lowering a vehicle can sharpen the looks and increase performance dramatically. But what does it really do and why does it help?

Imagine a car as a giant 3000lb weight suspended above the wheels. When you turn, that weight is shifted opposite of the direction by gravity trying to compensate for the force. This is what’s known as body roll. This is what spills your coffee. This is due to a high center of gravity in combination with saggy springs. When you install lowering springs, you are reducing the center of gravity therefore creating less resistance on the chassis through the turns. This will result in quicker steering response and crisper road feel. The look of lowering car or truck is also unmatched. Closing that wheel gap that is present makes the entire look of the vehicle more aggressive. Be sure when choosing a ride height you measure all wheel clearances. The drop will be the amount from the bottom on the fender lip to the top of the tire. Make sure you have room! It is imperative! You may also want to look into spring rates. Different springs have different rates, which will affect the handling of the vehicle and the overall ride quality. Higher spring rates will yield a tighter suspension but a stiffer ride. Softer springs will still increase performance but will maintain a decent ride quality.

Choosing the proper spring takes a bit a time and research. Doing it right the first time will save you a headache in the long run. Remember when lowering a vehicle, it is generally recommended to add a camber correction kit. This will keep your alignment in spec and tread of your tires.
Old 11-16-11, 08:19 PM
DubbStep
Pole Position

Originally Posted by birador
here's my contribution:

Lowering a vehicle can sharpen the looks and increase performance dramatically. But what does it really do and why does it help?

Imagine a car as a giant 3000lb weight suspended above the wheels. When you turn, that weight is shifted opposite of the direction by gravity trying to compensate for the force. This is what’s known as body roll. This is what spills your coffee. This is due to a high center of gravity in combination with saggy springs. When you install lowering springs, you are reducing the center of gravity therefore creating less resistance on the chassis through the turns. This will result in quicker steering response and crisper road feel. The look of lowering car or truck is also unmatched. Closing that wheel gap that is present makes the entire look of the vehicle more aggressive. Be sure when choosing a ride height you measure all wheel clearances. The drop will be the amount from the bottom on the fender lip to the top of the tire. Make sure you have room! It is imperative! You may also want to look into spring rates. Different springs have different rates, which will affect the handling of the vehicle and the overall ride quality. Higher spring rates will yield a tighter suspension but a stiffer ride. Softer springs will still increase performance but will maintain a decent ride quality.

Choosing the proper spring takes a bit a time and research. Doing it right the first time will save you a headache in the long run. Remember when lowering a vehicle, it is generally recommended to add a camber correction kit. This will keep your alignment in spec and tread of your tires.

Now thats how to say it in a nut shell..... LoL
Old 11-17-11, 08:09 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Some good info here.
Old 11-17-11, 05:25 PM
lalewla
Rookie

thank you everyone for your input. i really appreciate everyone's contribution. i need all the info i can get if i decide to go down this path.

birador, i'll be calling you directly if i need anymore information. *wink*
Old 11-17-11, 06:10 PM
516IS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
BLASPHEMER!!! If you're not scraping you're not low enough
lol, I like this answer the most
Old 11-17-11, 06:50 PM
gerill2p
Lead Lap