IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Bad day for my IS350

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-11, 12:10 AM
MrBBQ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sad to see but accidents happen, whether it's your fault or not. Salvage yard is the best bet to rebuild your car, new parts prices in total will give you a heart attack.
Old 11-16-11, 12:49 AM
Alias
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to see that... Damages are probably gona be over 10k from the looks of it. Glad your ok though. GL with the rebuild.
Old 11-16-11, 02:46 AM
CloudN32
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I see you locate in chicago, mind if i ask where did this accedent happen in chicago ?
Old 11-16-11, 05:35 AM
5gears-IS
Great Deal Guru

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Parts

Glad to hear you are ok.

As for the car start hunting down a wrecked IS of the same color to replace all body panels and save $$$, same goes with headlights and any all parts that you can replace. Start with your local Craigslist and work your way to your nearest states if you cant find nothing local. Use the CL and all other Lexus classified forums to continue hunting any and all parts you need.
Replace as many parts as you can on your own!

Otherwise a body shop bill will cost you $$$
Old 11-16-11, 06:12 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm very sorry to see this OP. I hope this serves as a lesson to people without full coverage on a car like a 2IS. You may think that it works out financially to save money by not getting collision insurance, but that's not going to work on a car like this. If you drive a $5000 beater, by all means drop collision. But for a car worth $25k+, you've got a LONG way to go before you've saved enough money to protect yourself.

Even a minor accident can cause thousands of damage to a car like this. Say you save $1000 a year by dropping collision. You rear-end someone and it costs you $3000 to fix. The only way this works out financially for you is if you've saved for three years before the accident. What if it happens within the first year?

Of course you can try and mitigate repair costs through methods like finding junkyards, etc, but that's an extremely large headache and you're opening yourself up to a lot of risk.

When I bought my 2007 IS350, before I made the purchase I made sure I could afford full coverage. If full coverage for me had been $2400 per 6 months (which is what the OP states it was for him), I would NOT have bought this car. $2400 for 6 months is outrageous, even for a 19 year old, but if that's really the best quote you can get on that car and you can't afford it, you should look at a different car. I know a lot of people won't like that statement, but it's the truth. Things like this can happen to anyone, and without full coverage, you're completely exposed.

Sorry again OP, I hope things work out for you. This thread taught me a lesson - I live downtown where there are a lot of intersections with views obscured by parked cars. It's a terrible and dangerous situation no matter how much caution you take. But from now on I'm going to be much more careful myself.
Old 11-16-11, 06:42 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Are you financing the car or fully paid for?
Old 11-16-11, 07:16 AM
starknight
Lead Lap

time to do a isf conversion?
Old 11-16-11, 08:39 AM
Daisy81
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chi123
Sadly, it was my fault. I was on a small street trying to cross a busy street. I stopped at the stop sign. Looked to the right to see if there are any oncoming cars since parked cars blocked my view of them, so I moved up a bit. I saw a car coming but was still far away. I looked to the left and no cars. So I proceed and when I look again to the right before crossing the center of the street, the car was approaching really fast. I slammed on my brakes and they seemed to not even try to stop in time. They hit me at maybe 30-40 MPH while I'm going 5-10 MPH. I got most of the damage since I was almost sitting still while they were traveling fast. Police said I'm at fault since I had a stop sign while they don't. Even though I stopped and tried to proceed when no cars were coming, they don't have to stop to let me pass even if I was in the intersection already.
The thing is you can't prove they didn't try to stop. If you had a dash came that recorded it or a witness you could argue that the other party willingly rated you but otherwise your sol. :-(
Old 11-16-11, 08:40 AM
Toymota
Pole Position

Originally Posted by B16da9
Are you financing the car or fully paid for?
Normally if it's financed, the bank requires you to carry collision and comprehensive coverages.
Old 11-16-11, 08:46 AM
Toymota
Pole Position

Originally Posted by calvin2376
I'm very sorry to see this OP. I hope this serves as a lesson to people without full coverage on a car like a 2IS. You may think that it works out financially to save money by not getting collision insurance, but that's not going to work on a car like this. If you drive a $5000 beater, by all means drop collision. But for a car worth $25k+, you've got a LONG way to go before you've saved enough money to protect yourself.

Even a minor accident can cause thousands of damage to a car like this. Say you save $1000 a year by dropping collision. You rear-end someone and it costs you $3000 to fix. The only way this works out financially for you is if you've saved for three years before the accident. What if it happens within the first year?

Of course you can try and mitigate repair costs through methods like finding junkyards, etc, but that's an extremely large headache and you're opening yourself up to a lot of risk.

When I bought my 2007 IS350, before I made the purchase I made sure I could afford full coverage. If full coverage for me had been $2400 per 6 months (which is what the OP states it was for him), I would NOT have bought this car. $2400 for 6 months is outrageous, even for a 19 year old, but if that's really the best quote you can get on that car and you can't afford it, you should look at a different car. I know a lot of people won't like that statement, but it's the truth. Things like this can happen to anyone, and without full coverage, you're completely exposed.

Sorry again OP, I hope things work out for you. This thread taught me a lesson - I live downtown where there are a lot of intersections with views obscured by parked cars. It's a terrible and dangerous situation no matter how much caution you take. But from now on I'm going to be much more careful myself.
Totally agree with what was said here, so I hope everyone who doesn't have collision coverage learns this lesson. Unfortunately, I think it's one of those things you don't learn until it happens to you.

Also, I'd like to add, one way of looking at insurance is if they charge $2,400 for 6 months, it's like they calculated that 1 in 4 people like you is going to have an accident costing $10,000 in those 6 months (ignoring profit margin and admin costs). So you might think you're a good driver and you'll be one of the 3 out of 4 people who don't have an accident, but to me, those odds are too high for comfort.
Old 11-16-11, 08:58 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Daisy81
The thing is you can't prove they didn't try to stop. If you had a dash came that recorded it or a witness you could argue that the other party willingly rated you but otherwise your sol. :-(
I also see this issue as well. The driver who had the right of way probably did not really notice chi123. However it still would be chi123's fault because of a possible miss judgement of the distance and speed the vehicle was going when attempting to cross the road.
--------------------------------------------

My friend managed to get a new Mercedes SUV after his Mercedes E350 was totaled. I'll re-paste the incident. Could be related, someone crossing the road...

Originally Posted by Sango

There was an accident that my friend was involved in recently that had his Mercedes E350 totaled due to a careless driver and could of been avoided as well. He had the right of way, going at about 60 km/h. Car at intersection comes and makes a left turn - but the left turn has to be careful because because it's a 6 lane street (3 each way), and my friend was in the fastest. Unfortunately, that driver popped out suddenly that my friend could not react, with about less than 10 feet and could not react in time to get on the brakes - bang. The driver who made the left thought it was good because the 2 lanes were good to go because the cars were stopped but did not check the third lane he popped out to make his left turn - 100% fault.

The insurance company said the car saved his life because he's about 6 ft - a smaller car, he would of been injured pretty badly. Total loss and he is entitled to a brand new car.

Last edited by Sango; 10-15-12 at 08:16 AM.
Old 11-16-11, 09:05 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Toymota
Normally if it's financed, the bank requires you to carry collision and comprehensive coverages.
That's why asked, I remember when I switched from All State to Geico my credit union was calling me (at work) asking for the new Insurance Policy.
Old 11-16-11, 09:33 AM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Damn OP... totally sorry to see a nice ride like that...

It's going to cost a lot to repair it... think about it first. We are already in a Luxury car so the price will be marked up from the start. My first accident cost the other party's insurance about 4 to 5 grand. That was to replace the rear passenger door and bend the rear frame rail back.

Yours look WAY worse than mine. I would say that it'll cost you over 10 Grand easily if you take it to the shop. Fenders, bumper, bumper cover, hood, radiator, headlights, paint, etc... just the headlights alone were close to a grand. There might even be frame damage.
Old 11-16-11, 10:28 AM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

I'm going to do all the repairs myself. All the parts I'll get off Sewell, eBay, and Craigslist. To me, I can honestly get the repairs done myself for about 2K and it anything, 3K.

The car still runs perfectly, just that my radiator got pushed over to the driver side. They basically swiped me from the front with the side of their front bumper. That's why my whole bumper, fender, and hood got pushed over. They just broke their headlight, fender, and dented their hood.

After looking around, here's the price list for the items I need. Parts are all unpainted. The bumper is $150 locally, fender is $130 on eBay, wheel well lining is $200 for both, and halogen headlights are $400 new on eBay. Everything else like the grills, fog lights, and all that stuff is fine. After popping the hood, I see that I may need a new reinforcement bar and the two things that hold it, the whole radiator support (about $500 on Sewell for all the metal parts), and that's about it. The hood, I'll see what happens with that later on.
Old 11-16-11, 10:30 AM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

This is how it looks right now after I'm starting to take things apart to see what needs to be done and replaced.

Quick Reply: Bad day for my IS350