IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Bad day for my IS350

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-11, 03:48 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chi123
Regarding insurance, yes I only have liability. Believe me, EVERYONE had told me to get full coverage on a car like this. However, the quotes I got were just outrageous. I first went to Allstate and those known companies. They wanted anywhere from $4000-6000/6 months. Meaning about $10,000 a year! I bought the car for only $20,300. My current insurance is a local company who gave me the best rate possible which is about $400/6 months for liability alone. They offered full coverage for a little over $2000ish but I can't trust a small company with full coverage. I can't go under my parents since they never driven a car their whole lives. I could go under my brother's or sister's but that will jack up their prices cause every company says it due to my age and car.

About resale value, I don't give a crap about it. I never had the intent to sell my car ever. If anything, I still plan to keep the car until I'm out of school and just give it to my brother or sell it cheap to my friends. I definitely know it kills the value, probably thousands but I'm not selling the car. Police report was filed but the VIN number, you can't tell what this guy wrote, it looks like scribbles. I'll check my VIN in the future on Carfax but I doubt it will appear, not that it'll matter to me, just for curiosity.

About the structure of the car, it's fine. The car runs perfectly, just that the radiator support brackets are bent so the radiator is not mounted properly. The only place that one can tell I had an accident in the metal below the intake box. It's slightly bent but it wouldn't even make a difference whether it's fixed or not. But I will bring it to have it checked out by a shop to make sure everything is fine after I do the repairs.
Why was your insurance rate so high? It cannot be just your age and the car you drive. Because my homie is 25, drives a 2010 BMW M3, has a ticket on his record and his insurance full coverage is about $3.5k a year with $500 deductibles. Also, why can't you trust a small company with full coverage insurance?
Old 11-16-11, 04:32 PM
p0lo8
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow $400/6 months for liability is really cheap.
I have an 350 and i am 19 also, but i pay 580$/6months for liability only. Thats including my parents on insurance and with all kind of discounts (good student, steer clear etc) But my stepdads accident is still on the record, anyway w/o it it would be 520.. It is State Farm BTW.
Old 11-16-11, 04:57 PM
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Why was your insurance rate so high? It cannot be just your age and the car you drive. Because my homie is 25, drives a 2010 BMW M3, has a ticket on his record and his insurance full coverage is about $3.5k a year with $500 deductibles. Also, why can't you trust a small company with full coverage insurance?
I'd like to know this as well. Your rates are extremely high for someone your age. I mean of course they are going to be high until you get married, buy a home, and have multiple vehicles, but the prices you're throwing around are just astronomical.

I am not much older than you (22) and my rate is a little over $1,000 every 6 months for complete coverage (even windshield). I'm not married, not a homeowner, and I only have one vehicle. That is also including an accident in which I was at fault where the car was totaled and a speeding ticket. When I was shopping around the highest prices I ever saw were around $2,000 for every 6 months.
Old 11-16-11, 07:37 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by greg0126
I'd like to know this as well. Your rates are extremely high for someone your age. I mean of course they are going to be high until you get married, buy a home, and have multiple vehicles, but the prices you're throwing around are just astronomical.

I am not much older than you (22) and my rate is a little over $1,000 every 6 months for complete coverage (even windshield). I'm not married, not a homeowner, and I only have one vehicle. That is also including an accident in which I was at fault where the car was totaled and a speeding ticket. When I was shopping around the highest prices I ever saw were around $2,000 for every 6 months.
Wow, if I could get full coverage for $1000/6 months, I'd definitely do that. The price I pay right now was the cheapest I can find, plus discounts were added on. Anti-theft, safe-driver, good student, and other stuff I don't remember. I've had my license for 3 years only though. Got a speeding ticket last year for doing 42 in a 25 zone. I paid a $147 ticket and took traffic school. Got a 95 percent on the traffic school exam and got the ticket removed from my records.
Old 11-16-11, 08:11 PM
tardorange
Driver

Hopefully everything works out and like I previously said don't worry too much, the main thing is that your not hurt. I just found out my buddy has a massive brain tumor. Suddenly all these other things don't matter much once you realize how much ones life matters.
Old 11-16-11, 10:51 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Doesn't the insurance rates also depend on your financials and credit rating as well?

For me, Geiko for my car, I pay around $700 / 6 months.

Last edited by Sango; 11-16-11 at 11:42 PM.
Old 11-16-11, 11:03 PM
ddhleigh
Pole Position

I cringe reading the rates for insurance down in the states I get mine for like $1600 for the year everything included.
Old 11-16-11, 11:22 PM
pbateson
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Really bad luck on your car and fault. I hope you can DIY repair your car than the car repair shop. Happened to me when I drove my old Honda car, and I didnt look left on stop sign then my fault.
Old 11-16-11, 11:33 PM
Dustin2011
Pole Position

Sometimes it's nice to be the old guy.... I pay $115 per month for full coverage with a $50 comprehensive deductible and a $500 collision deductible..... and this $115 per month covers BOTH of my vehicles (2011 IS250 and 2010 Honda Ridgeline).

OP - glad to see you are not hurt. Good luck on fixing your car.
Old 11-17-11, 10:08 AM
TheDream
Rookie

The rates depend on the area, how many cars you have, and if you have anything else bundled with it, like home. In MI, we're paying $1100/yr each for the LS400 and GS400 (comprehensive $0 deductable) and $370/yr for basic liability my older Legend.
Old 11-17-11, 11:47 AM
Dvo
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry to hear about what happened to your car. Your insurance rates are ridiculous...I thought my rates were bad. I could see why you chose to go with 1 way. Good luck with everything and hopefully things will work out.
Old 11-17-11, 12:19 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sango
Doesn't the insurance rates also depend on your financials and credit rating as well?

For me, Geiko for my car, I pay around $700 / 6 months.
Not for me. I think I may have gotten a discount for paying in full but not sure. When I got my insurance, they never asked a single thing about how much I made or whatever. I just got the quote, paid in full, and that was it.
Old 11-17-11, 12:59 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not for me. I think I may have gotten a discount for paying in full but not sure. When I got my insurance, they never asked a single thing about how much I made or whatever. I just got the quote, paid in full, and that was it.
They didn't have to ask, anytime you get an auto insurance quote you authorize them to check your credit. Your credit report and credit score absolutely factored into your auto insurance rate. They also don't have to disclose to you HOW it factored in. Do a Google search for "auto insurance credit score", you'll find lots of information.
Old 11-17-11, 01:37 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

The first thing you should do is probably have a body shop inspect your car. There might be things that is damaged that you can't see. If your headlights are AFS, they cost $1100 each.

Judging from the picture, it seems like there will be frame damage.
Old 11-17-11, 03:53 PM
BrandonT
Driver School Candidate

Sadly, it was my fault. I was on a small street trying to cross a busy street. I stopped at the stop sign. Looked to the right to see if there are any oncoming cars since parked cars blocked my view of them, so I moved up a bit. I saw a car coming but was still far away. I looked to the left and no cars. So I proceed and when I look again to the right before crossing the center of the street, the car was approaching really fast. I slammed on my brakes and they seemed to not even try to stop in time. They hit me at maybe 30-40 MPH while I'm going 5-10 MPH. I got most of the damage since I was almost sitting still while they were traveling fast. Police said I'm at fault since I had a stop sign while they don't. Even though I stopped and tried to proceed when no cars were coming, they don't have to stop to let me pass even if I was in the intersection already.
Same exact thing happened to me with my 07 A4. It's really heart breaking.. Like you, I had liability only. I decided to auction it off as it would have cost upwards of $8k to fix it. Exact same damage, except my bumper didn't fly off. A huge portion of it broke off. Gotta love german engineering. So I auctioned the A4 off, and now I'm here.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.. I know how you feel because I felt it really wasnt my fault at all.. But because of the stop sign... Owell.

Quick Reply: Bad day for my IS350