IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

new to forum; also need some advice about my brakes

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-11, 08:05 PM
sgm08is350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to forum; also need some advice about my brakes

Hello everyone, new to the forum here I just traded in my 335is for an 08 IS350 w/ 26k miles on it. I'm loving the car so far. There is definitely a bit of trade off in the performance but I can live with that. I do get more luxury options in this car. I am looking forward to do some modding in the future. My 335 had a couple mods: JB4, FMIC, DCI, catless DP's, BOV's to name a few. I'll probably just do an intake/exhaust and maybe some interior LED's on this car and try to keep it as close to stock (yeah right).

Anyways I just picked the Lexus last Friday and I wanted to do a 30k service maintenence so I took it to a nearby Lexus dealer. The SA quoted me $500!!! That was a bit of a shock considering all they were doing was an oil change, air filter, and brake fluids. So I just did a pedal recall that was available on my car and had them check up on my front brakes that were making a horrible squeal when coming to a gentle stop.

I waited for about an hour and a half and the SA comes back and tells me they cannot replace the brakes under warranty. It turns out the previous owner changed the brake pads but used the wrong ones and were causing the the horrible noise. So I asked him how much they would charge me and he quoted me $900. I said I would think about it and just left. He gave me the parts numbers to the parts I needed. Looks like I need new front rotors, brake pads, and a shim kit.

I just bought this car and I don't want to dump $1,000 in a brake job. I know there's a site for BMW's where you can get OEM parts for a cheaper price than at the dealership and was wondering if there is one for Lexus. Is http://is.sewellparts.com/index.php a good site to use for OEM Lexus parts? I also did a search and found that other ISx50's make this squeal in the brakes due to brake dust and there is TSIB(?) to fix it. Obviously I can't fix this through the dealership and I'm looking at buying the parts online. I searched up the part numbers on the invoice the SA gave me and it shows the parts for only the 2011-2012 IS350 models. Do I buy rotors, brakes pads, and shim kit for the 2012 models and put them on my 2008 model ?

Sorry for the long story but I would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Here's a picture of the 335. Don't have any of the IS350 yet.

Last edited by sgm08is350; 11-15-11 at 08:19 PM.
Old 11-15-11, 08:25 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Welcome and congrats!! Sorry to hear that there is already a problem. yes Sewell is a great place to start for parts

wow you had a 335is? Those are relatively new, what made you switch for an older IS350?
Old 11-15-11, 08:32 PM
rookieIS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

congrats on the new ride! $1k for the brake service is insane.. just get the brake fluids from Sewell and change the brake pads thats all you need. there's a member selling the brand new is350 brake pads in the classified!
good luck
Old 11-15-11, 08:43 PM
sgm08is350
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys. Yeah I had a brand new 2011 335is. I'm going to go back as a full time student so I needed to drop the payments. Paid off the Lexus and just need to get maintanence in order. I don't regret making the switch though. It's definitely a great car. I also looked into the brake pads in the classified. thanks for pointing that out
Old 11-15-11, 09:20 PM
509IS350
Lexus Test Driver

about the squealing. i bought brand new rotors & pads and they still squealed at slow speeds. i eventually bought this anti squeal stuff at autozone that is in a spray can. i took my rotors off and sprayed both sides and added antisqueal lube to the pads and no more squeal ! ya! hope that helps
Old 11-15-11, 09:31 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sgm08is350
Anyways I just picked the Lexus last Friday and I wanted to do a 30k service maintenence so I took it to a nearby Lexus dealer. The SA quoted me $500!!! That was a bit of a shock considering all they were doing was an oil change, air filter, and brake fluids.
First...welcome!

Next...don't ever, ever, ever ask for "the X miles service"

They'll jack the price up 2-3x and still only do the couple of items you ACTUALLY need, that if you just asked for THOSE ITEMS would be way cheaper.

At 30k you need:

brake fluid changed
oil changed.
Air/cabin filters changed (you can do these yourself in about 5 minutes tops)

Oil change and brake fluid change should be $150-175 total at most dealers.

You won't need anything other than oil changes again until 60k (which is the same as 30k plus spark plugs)... then nothing again but oil till 90k, which is same at 30k... then at 100k you change coolant.

Anything else is them trying to jack you for cash.

I waited for about an hour and a half and the SA comes back and tells me they cannot replace the brakes under warranty. It turns out the previous owner changed the brake pads but used the wrong ones and were causing the the horrible noise. So I asked him how much they would charge me and he quoted me $900. I said I would think about it and just left. He gave me the parts numbers to the parts I needed. Looks like I need new front rotors, brake pads, and a shim kit.

I just bought this car and I don't want to dump $1,000 in a brake job. I know there's a site for BMW's where you can get OEM parts for a cheaper price than at the dealership and was wondering if there is one for Lexus. Is http://is.sewellparts.com/index.php a good site to use for OEM Lexus parts? I also did a search and found that other ISx50's make this squeal in the brakes due to brake dust and there is TSIB(?) to fix it. Obviously I can't fix this through the dealership and I'm looking at buying the parts online. I searched up the part numbers on the invoice the SA gave me and it shows the parts for only the 2011-2012 IS350 models. Do I buy rotors, brakes pads, and shim kit for the 2012 models and put them on my 2008 model ?
Are you sure you actually need any of these things? What, exactly, did they say was wrong with the pads or rotors?

And to your other question on parts, yes, sewell is an excellent source- be sure to register with your club lexus screen name to see the special discounted pricing... the low-dust TSIB brake pads are like $100 or so... rears are like $65.

But you might just need some anti-squeal for a couple of bucks and a little time.. (or maybe just a rebed of the pads, which is free)

Unless there's deep scoring/grooving in the rotors, or significant vibration in the steering when you brake, you certainly don't need rotors at all.
Old 11-15-11, 09:43 PM
sgm08is350
Driver School Candidate

Yeah I figured I would buy the 30k maintanence kit on the sewell site and do it myself. And as for the pads/rotors, the SA didn't say what was wrong. He just stated that the wrong type of pads were used. I checked the rotors and they were completely fine. No grooves at all. He also mentioned that the shim's were missing. Do you suggest I just buy new pads/shims and go with anti-squeal spray/lube?
Old 11-15-11, 10:09 PM
08IS350
Driver

Yeah I figured I would buy the 30k maintanence kit on the sewell site and do it myself. And as for the pads/rotors, the SA didn't say what was wrong. He just stated that the wrong type of pads were used. I checked the rotors and they were completely fine. No grooves at all. He also mentioned that the shim's were missing. Do you suggest I just buy new pads/shims and go with anti-squeal spray/lube?
For squeal at light braking, print out the TSIB, L-SB-0015-09 from the following link and try at another dealer. When I walked in to my dealer with that TSIB, they performed the TSIB, replaced anti-squeal shim kit, and the problem went away. It was free under warranty.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...or-squeak.html

For parts, sewell is way to go but you can also try here at carson lexus/toyota/scion to compare price.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...?siteid=214915

Good luck.

Last edited by 08IS350; 11-15-11 at 10:13 PM.
Old 11-16-11, 05:37 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 08IS350
For squeal at light braking, print out the TSIB, L-SB-0015-09 from the following link and try at another dealer. When I walked in to my dealer with that TSIB, they performed the TSIB, replaced anti-squeal shim kit, and the problem went away. It was free under warranty.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...or-squeak.html

The problem is he doesn't have OEM brakes on the car apparently.... so they're not going to give him a free fix of an OEM part when he doesn't have that part on the car.

to the OP- assuming you've got some pads throwing out a lot of dust in addition to the noise, yeah, I'd get the low-dust OEM pads and new shims if yours are missing and give that a shot. Be sure to bed em properly too.
Old 11-16-11, 06:16 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Kurtz pretty much captured it all. NEVER ask for the X service, always check your maintenance guide, distill it down only to the things you need (like brake fluid flush or oil change, NOT any of their tests/checks/road tests) and ask them to do specifically those services. I learned this when I bought my car as well, I asked for the 60k service and they quoted me $1000+. Then I asked the same dealer for each required service individually and it came to $500 (it was this high because spark plugs are needed at 60k).

Sewell will become your best friend. Rotors are $150, pads are $55, and there's a detailed DIY thread already on CL. It's of course questionable if you need all those things, but if you do, you've saved $700 right there.

Why did you trade in your 335?
Old 11-16-11, 07:47 AM
sick
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 509IS350
about the squealing. i bought brand new rotors & pads and they still squealed at slow speeds. i eventually bought this anti squeal stuff at autozone that is in a spray can. i took my rotors off and sprayed both sides and added antisqueal lube to the pads and no more squeal ! ya! hope that helps
I need to try that stuff. You mind sharing what it's called?

Op, welcome to CL!
Old 11-16-11, 08:01 AM
SMigone
Driver School Candidate

All the info you need about everything is on this site. Learn to do maintenance yourself, learn to mod yourself, it will save you thousands, and its fun, and satisfying. The dealership will rip rip rip you off for everything!!! Good Luck, and nice Bimmer.
Old 11-16-11, 09:07 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Welcome to the club.

Nice BMW. Someone I kno was looking at one
Old 11-16-11, 11:26 AM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

I LOL'd when I read that the dealership said he had the "wrong pads" on the car. Oh really?

Nice grab, and yes you will lose out in the performance end of things with the 350...but dollar for dollar, the IS has more "luxury" accessories.

Enjoy and welcome!