Search this Thread

Old 11-18-11, 09:22 AM
cogarcia
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking New Lexus Owner - Need Upgrades

Hello,
Today is my birthday and last night i purchased my first Lexus,
I bought a 2009 Lexus IS 250 @ 32k miles, I can say i bought it no co-signer, no help from mommy and daddy, all on my own. And it feels great.

My question is what can I do to make this car a lil bit more Faster, (exclude Turbo and Superchargers first Lexus don't wanna screw it up ) Want to add a lip kit on it, and i want to add a Navi System I heard of Fly-radio makes an OEM like version of Lexus Navi System.

Loving the forum lots of info.
Old 11-18-11, 09:46 AM
ddhleigh
Pole Position

Welcome and congrats on your car! If you've gone through some "upgrade" threads, then you'll know there really isn't much out there. You have options like an intake and exhaust to name a couple. What others will tell you do to is, if you want faster, go back to the dealer and get a IS350 instead of the 250. There is nothing out there that'll give you significant performace upgrades.

Also, regarding the turbo and supercharger, the amount of money you spend on one (there isn't really a true one for Lexus I heard) can go towards a 350. That's a 100 point gain.

Last edited by ddhleigh; 11-18-11 at 09:51 AM.
Old 11-18-11, 09:58 AM
cogarcia
Driver School Candidate

Thank you, I just wanted to confirm.
I want a IS350 but I think thats to much power for me, because ill end up hurting myself or someone else so i cant well not now.
Old 11-18-11, 10:07 AM
J LEX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ddhleigh
Welcome and congrats on your car! If you've gone through some "upgrade" threads, then you'll know there really isn't much out there. You have options like an intake and exhaust to name a couple. What others will tell you do to is, if you want faster, go back to the dealer and get a IS350 instead of the 250. There is nothing out there that'll give you significant performace upgrades.

Also, regarding the turbo and supercharger, the amount of money you spend on one (there isn't really a true one for Lexus I heard) can go towards a 350. That's a 100 point gain.
agee..if its not a 350 not really worth it.Just stick to the visuals....??tho if the 350 was to fast,why are you looking to beef the 250 up.
Old 11-18-11, 10:18 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

To sum up what you can do when considering wanting a 250 to be faster without turbo or supercharger:

Spend $2000-3000 on intake, headers, and exhaust... which will be illegal in all 50 states (the headers especially) and add, perhaps, 25-35 horsepower (and the headers will be 15-20 of that)

or

Spend ~$4000 and get a 350 instead, which adds 102 horsepower from the factory (and you'd still have the option of adding intake, exhaust, and headers to the 350 if you wished)

If you remove the restriction of no turbo or supercharger-

There are no turbo kits for either car.

There are a couple of 250 supercharger kits sold in foreign countries where the 350 is not available... they run around $8000 and still add significantly less power than a stock 350 has.
Old 11-18-11, 10:23 AM
kingster
Pole Position

If this is your very first car or an upgrade from a civic/corolla, I think you will be pretty impressed by its performance. You said it!! Good thinking too. You don't need a faster car if you can not handle one (e.g. hurt others or yourself). In addition, if you have no moving violations(speedy tickets), you sure don't want to start now. They are very costly and accidents are worst.

Save your money and take notes of the upgrades others have and make your selections wisely. If you are on a budget, you don't want to buy something now and change it later. Buy only the things you really like/need and I hope you don't spend $15k like others have. Be conservative!
Rims, kit, a nice drop and you are good to go.

Good luck
Old 11-18-11, 10:27 AM
Gladius
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cogarcia
I want a IS350 but I think thats to much power for me, because ill end up hurting myself or someone else so i cant well not now.
Just because you "can" go fast doesn't mean you "have" to...if your sole purpose for getting a 250 is for "speed", then you wasted your $$

You would probably spend as much for upgrades to make your 250 faster than you would to just pay a little extra for a 350.
Old 11-18-11, 11:12 AM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

congrats man post some pics happy bday
Old 11-18-11, 12:04 PM
cogarcia
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks Guys

Thanks for the comments. Yes, I upgraded from 04 Camry which then i went to get a Scion 06 TC now to Lexus, Can you tell I like Toyota , anyways the speed issue is one i dont want to lose always great to have but its not a real requirement for me, Yes i can get a IS350 but what will be the fun in that, I like to experiament with my cars not to much to the point i lose a whole lot of resale value, but enough i feel comfortable driving.

I guess i just stick to making the exterior look nice and add Fly Audio Navi System. and DONE
Old 11-18-11, 01:42 PM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What people are saying, if you wanted performance out of the IS250, you chose the wrong car.

IS250 is tailored to entry level luxury sedan crowd with a bit of sporty. It's tuned for comfort and quiet ride. To make it faster, it's going to cost a lot of money and it will be nowhere as fast as IS350.

I didn't get the IS250 for speed since I don't race or drive fast. IS250 meets my requirements for a nice daily driver. I'm not at all disappointed in my IS250.

Congrats on your car and welcome!
Old 11-18-11, 02:29 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

I think with the basic bolt on like H/E/I you'll be happy in the 250.
Old 11-18-11, 02:40 PM
RastaRacer
Lexus Champion

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Congrats on the new ride and welcome to CL. Happy Modding
Old 11-18-11, 03:19 PM
Jzsicklexi
Lead Lap

Just do what I did with exhaust and intake and it will be a lot more fun to drive when you enjoy hearing it.
Old 11-18-11, 04:45 PM
Hoac
Pole Position

You know it is a 250, but with the I/E/H it will at least sound like its super fast

Now just imagine that on a 350 my headers are in the mail ,)
Old 11-18-11, 05:09 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welcome to clublexus and happy birthday

as you will soon learn Toyota wasnt feeling the adrenaline when they thought up these cars. LOL

In all seriousness just forget about performance mods aside from intake/exhaust... in MY opinion headers are a waste of money/warranty/ and time for an extra 15hp youll probably never use. and if you do those 15hp arent going to make you or break you in a race THATS FOR SURE.

The fly audio unit is the best mod you have spoken about so far, better than OEM navi if you ask me.
Its about $1200.

Enjoy your stay and post pictures of OUR new car! yes OUR, because everytime you do something to it you will be running to you computer to share with us!

Quick Reply: New Lexus Owner - Need Upgrades