IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Friendly fire... 2IS accident :'(

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-11, 06:10 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by stanjohn12
Well the other reason to feel sorry obviously for the OP and anyone would be that the other car was an IS-F , a fellow Lexus. Come on, anyone here would feel sorry for a fellow lexus ??
I don't give a damn what kinda car it was, it could've been a Bugatti Veyron and I still would've been pissed, I care about MY car, not anyone elses.
Old 11-19-11, 08:11 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stanjohn12
I just had a look at the video. This could have happened to anyone. Did you guys notice the big SUV just in front of 149 MAX turning right , there was no way for the IS-F owner to surely see who was coming behind the SUV , so she thought of taking the road , then SLAM !!!
But if you look closely at the video, you can see that she is looking left just before that SUV turns into the lot, and is looking DIRECTLY at 149MAX. Then the SUV turns into the lot, covering up her vision. When you can see her again, she is looking right. Why?!? Who knows? There are two cars waiting to cross in front of her and traffic coming at her that she JUST looked at from her left. Then you can see she starts to pull out and only looks back to the left as 149MAX lays on his horn. Women drivers, no survivors. (Well, in this case, they both survived but you get the point....)

Also, I've been there before. Had a 17 year old girl decide to do a U-turn in front of me from the right hand lane as I passed her in the left hand lane. She never looked until I slammed into her back quarter panel. She was bawling by the time she stepped out of the car. I was ready to rage but figured she was already traumatized. Had her call her dad and he took care of the whole thing, better than new (he owned a body shop - lucky for her. It was her 3rd at-fault accident in less than a year according to her dad!)
Old 11-19-11, 08:44 PM
149MAX
Pole Position

Originally Posted by anthrax144
But if you look closely at the video, you can see that she is looking left just before that SUV turns into the lot, and is looking DIRECTLY at 149MAX. Then the SUV turns into the lot, covering up her vision. When you can see her again, she is looking right. Why?!? Who knows? There are two cars waiting to cross in front of her and traffic coming at her that she JUST looked at from her left. Then you can see she starts to pull out and only looks back to the left as 149MAX lays on his horn. Women drivers, no survivors. (Well, in this case, they both survived but you get the point....)

Also, I've been there before. Had a 17 year old girl decide to do a U-turn in front of me from the right hand lane as I passed her in the left hand lane. She never looked until I slammed into her back quarter panel. She was bawling by the time she stepped out of the car. I was ready to rage but figured she was already traumatized. Had her call her dad and he took care of the whole thing, better than new (he owned a body shop - lucky for her. It was her 3rd at-fault accident in less than a year according to her dad!)
Lmao good point... looking right should be the last thing you do when making that right turn. I should have asked her that.

Also usually people stop moving when hearing a horn by/near you, she just kept rollin'
Old 11-19-11, 09:05 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm gonna agree with all the people saying that the camera seems like a great idea... I might have to get me one of those... I wonder if it will make me a little more self conscious about singing in the car, though...

About the accident, glad you're both ok. But damn, she had an IS-F but she still didn't have good enough insurance to cover the damages to your car?

Originally Posted by anthrax144
Maybe I have have a crappy monitor or some other bottleneck, but I don't know how you can see that much detail. I watched in 720p, and you couldn't see the girl's face in any kind of detail until she was right in front of him.

With that said, I still don't doubt the girl could have/should have been aware of 149, though. But mistakes happen... Hopefully she learned from it (and 149, too).

Last edited by RocketGuy3; 11-19-11 at 09:17 PM.
Old 11-19-11, 10:21 PM
soulsoarer
Pole Position

I would of probably just told her to trade cars and be on my way. Thanks for the camera tip.

Oh, was she hot?
Old 11-19-11, 10:46 PM
k7q
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

wtheck are you listening to?? lol
Old 11-20-11, 01:08 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Hate to see videos like that. But very glad you didn't get hurt. I think your car came out pretty well from what crunch there was. Also good job on minimizing the impact by paying attention. Could have been worse if you didn't see it coming and/or didn't brake.

Now, for everyone chomping at the bit to get a camera installed... consider this. For every time it may help you (as it did in this case), it can also hurt you. In every accident, there is usually one person at fault, and one person not at fault. So that's a 50% odd you could get into an accident, it be your fault, and now there's a camera inside to prove it. You want the police or insurance seeing that? I wouldn't. Now I know we all think we are the better drivers out there (and we likely may be), but it's still something to think about. A camera can work against you, just as easy as it can help you.

Last edited by Fizzboy7; 11-20-11 at 11:55 AM.
Old 11-20-11, 01:38 AM
bobbo1978
Rookie

That was an unfortunately accident. Little suprirse to me though, this type of mistake, blame on her, happens all the time, fortunately usually one party is able to stop in time. A little careless, a little impatience, on the driver pulling out puts everyone in danger.

Usually when I see someone waiting to pull out and a big *** SUV slows down to pull in there is a 50/50 chance the driver coming out will gun for it. To drive defensively always slow down. You can see the pins lining up waiting to be knocked down.

Another commonly avoidable accident is pulling up to an interesction in a multilane street and for some reason someone in the other lane, in same direction, is stopped on a green. Most of the time that driver isn't paying attention but in rare occassions a pedestrian is crossing on a red and view of person is blocked by stopped vehicle; or a left turn car in opposite direction is running a red. Seen so many impatient drivers guns it and ran dead smack (t-boning) the person running the red. Haven't seen a pedestrian being hit yet, close calls, yes, and hopefully never.

Last edited by bobbo1978; 11-20-11 at 01:41 AM.
Old 11-20-11, 02:01 AM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bobbo1978
That was an unfortunately accident. Little suprirse to me though, this type of mistake, blame on her, happens all the time, fortunately usually one party is able to stop in time. A little careless, a little impatience, on the driver pulling out puts everyone in danger.

Usually when I see someone waiting to pull out and a big *** SUV slows down to pull in there is a 50/50 chance the driver coming out will gun for it. To drive defensively always slow down. You can see the pins lining up waiting to be knocked down.

Another commonly avoidable accident is pulling up to an interesction in a multilane street and for some reason someone in the other lane, in same direction, is stopped on a green. Most of the time that driver isn't paying attention but in rare occassions a pedestrian is crossing on a red and view of person is blocked by stopped vehicle; or a left turn car in opposite direction is running a red. Seen so many impatient drivers guns it and ran dead smack (t-boning) the person running the red. Haven't seen a pedestrian being hit yet, close calls, yes, and hopefully never.
+1. This is why I usually stay far away from the right lane [when possible]. Stuff like this happens all the time.

After watching the video a second time...I couldn't stop laughing when I saw you come out. You look and act like Peter Chao.

Old 11-20-11, 07:52 AM
149MAX
Pole Position

Originally Posted by smokyis350
+1. This is why I usually stay far away from the right lane [when possible]. Stuff like this happens all the time.

After watching the video a second time...I couldn't stop laughing when I saw you come out. You look and act like Peter Chao.

Lmao he's the best.
Old 11-20-11, 08:03 AM
149MAX
Pole Position

1. Pop out SD card
2. Throw out window
3. ????
4. profit!
Old 11-20-11, 09:09 AM
MrBBQ
Lexus Test Driver

Car is slammed nicely. Sorry it happened but get it fixed better than before. Yes the '11 bumper fits, .
Old 11-20-11, 10:06 AM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
Maybe I have have a crappy monitor or some other bottleneck, but I don't know how you can see that much detail. I watched in 720p, and you couldn't see the girl's face in any kind of detail until she was right in front of him.
You can guesstimate that's what she's doing base on the dark hair and white face in the sun if you pause the video here and there. At the last minute she's like oh noes!

Seen so many impatient drivers guns it and ran dead smack (t-boning) the person running the red. Haven't seen a pedestrian being hit yet, close calls, yes, and hopefully never.
Yep, saw this about a month ago on school campus roads. I was in the 3rd car quite a bit back on the right lane; 1st was a big SUV; following the SUV very closely was a red convertible. For some reason the SUV stopped on yellow. I looked and saw some student decide to go on her skateboard because of the slower traffic. The red convertible step on the gas and move to the left lane, by then the light is red and he ran through the red light. Missed the pedestrian by no more than 6 inches.
Old 11-21-11, 07:28 AM
k2sty1
Pole Position

nearly happened to me aswell
i was behind a firetruck, coming up to an intersection, the fire truck turned right and i went straight, then a woman on the other side of the road decided to turn in front of my car, i slammed the brakes and JUST missed her,and i mean JUST, if my DC2R was 10mm longer we would have hit

funny thing is, she just casually shrugged it off and drove away... i was just like wtf...
haha
funny now, but wasnt so funny when it happened, lol

oh, and my first reaction when i saw you was "OMFG peter chao drives a Lexus" hahahaha

and wats the song? i like

Last edited by k2sty1; 11-21-11 at 07:33 AM.
Old 11-21-11, 08:01 AM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

Smile

All said and done , the expression on 149 MAX's face after he gets out of his car is priceless

Quick Reply: Friendly fire... 2IS accident :'(