IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Trading in/up for OEM Navigation?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-11, 03:09 PM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You can't see yourself backup on a Garmin. Going in, I knew the OEM nav sucked but didn't care. It completes the dash and an IS without nav looks cheap IMHO.

Last edited by istarzan; 11-21-11 at 03:14 PM.
Old 11-22-11, 12:58 AM
marcuswaynethomas
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there anything the OEM Nav does that the FlyAudio Unit doesn't? I really like the steering wheel mounted bluetooth buttons and UI of the factory unit. Is there any way to improve the UI on the FlyAudio unit?
Old 11-22-11, 01:09 AM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

If you are making payments anyways u might as well just trade in your car for the 2011. The new nav hasnew features that previous models did not have http://www.lexus.com/models/IS/featu...on_system.html. Not to mention you could get a F sport model, the sweet new headlights, and maybe even one with a ML.
Old 11-22-11, 01:20 AM
350PsDMeuP
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You would do better finding a nav in a junk yard....10x cheaper and easy to install
Old 11-22-11, 01:25 AM
350PsDMeuP
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did it...wanted nav and they didnt have one, so i bought one from a junk yard and installed it...greatest thing ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=oqX2ESLLFcg
Old 11-22-11, 02:25 AM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 350PsDMeuP
I did it...wanted nav and they didnt have one, so i bought one from a junk yard and installed it...greatest thing ever.

So you just called up a random junkyard and asked for it? How much did you pay if you don't mind?
Old 11-22-11, 03:49 AM
marcuswaynethomas
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RDIS250AWD
If you are making payments anyways u might as well just trade in your car for the 2011. The new nav hasnew features that previous models did not have http://www.lexus.com/models/IS/featu...on_system.html. Not to mention you could get a F sport model, the sweet new headlights, and maybe even one with a ML.
We'll see in a few months. I had the option of an '11 IS350 F-Sport for 40K. Ugly color (IMO), ugly wheels. Wasn't too impressed about the exterior differences either.

You would do better finding a nav in a junk yard....10x cheaper and easy to install
Actually cost? Steering wheel options?
Old 11-22-11, 07:11 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by smokyis350
In before Kurtz.. O wait I'm late..

Seriously Kurtz, why do you hate the OEM navigation so much? Give it up. It is a personal preference, just like people choosing a 350, 250, F.
because it's a $2500 option that sucks compared to an aftermarket unit 1/20th the price?

Even when I was shopping cars in the first place the Infiniti one for example cost about half as much as the Lexus one and had years newer features (like realtime traffic on 2007 models)

Originally Posted by istarzan
You can't see yourself backup on a Garmin. Going in, I knew the OEM nav sucked but didn't care. It completes the dash and an IS without nav looks cheap IMHO.
a few things here:

There's actually quite a few aftermarket NAVs that support reverse cameras- and are still 10x cheaper than OEM

Failing that, there's the 6x cheaper-than-nav parking sensor option to avoid backing into things if your neck doesn't work for some reason... (full disclosure- the 2IS is like half the size of my last couple vehicles, so I can't figure out why anyone, other than if they have small kids underfoot, would ever need a backup camera on a car this small- if you DO have small kids underfoot then I 100% for sure understand why you want one- but again, you can get that with aftermarket nav too.)

Originally Posted by Sango
I can see the song list on the NAV, like XM, FM/Radio etc...

Without NAV, wasn't always reliable and seeing it as it didn't update properly sometimes. The other I reference Jeff Lange's opinion lol - the ugly temperature controls and display where the NAV unit would be.
Huh? you mean like name of the song or artist on XM? I've never, ever, had that not display on my non-nav ML head unit, other than for the first 5-10 seconds after you start the car because it's downloading data.

And I think the nav AC/radio controls suck because you often have to change screens to, say, select a preset station... on my car it's much quicker since I just press a physical button.

I'm annoyed every time I get a loaner and have to adjust **** with the nav screen in comparison.

(That said... if the 2008 lexus nav had actually offered features from 2008.. or even 2005... rather than 1998... I'd have probably gotten over the annoying extra steps with the controls... it was the being annoying AND inferior AND stupidy overpriced combined that turned me off to it... and I paid cash for the car so it's not like I couldn't "afford" the option, I just couldn't bring myself to massively overpay for a crappy option)

The 2010+ nav is a lot better feature-wise... it's still much inferior to a current model Garmin, but it has at least caught up to where Garmin was in 2006 or so.

And all of the above also leaves out the fact the OEM nav still cripples itself when you put the car in D.

With the garmin my passenger can still make full use of the device without my having to pull over first (or slice up wires for a bypass).

Last edited by Kurtz; 11-22-11 at 09:51 AM.
Old 11-22-11, 08:20 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Huh? you mean like name of the song or artist on XM? I've never, ever, had that not display on my non-nav ML head unit, other than for the first 5-10 seconds after you start the car because it's downloading data.

And I think the nav AC/radio controls suck because you often have to change screens to, say, select a preset station... on my car it's much quicker since I just press a physical button.

I'm annoyed every time I get a loaner and have to adjust **** with the nav screen in comparison.

(That said... if the 2008 lexus nav had actually offered features from 2008.. or even 2005... rather than 1998... I'd have probably gotten over the annoying extra steps with the controls... it was the being annoying AND inferior AND stupidy overpriced combined that turned me off to it... and I paid cash for the car so it's not like I couldn't "afford" the option, I just couldn't bring myself to massively overpay for a crappy option)

The 2010+ nav is a lot better feature-wise... it's still much inferior to a current model Garmin, but it has at least caught up to where Garmin was in 2006 or so.
On the 07 IS which I had which did not have NAV, it was was unreliable. I meant just the radio part since I didn't have XM on that car. It like displays the data but lists it incorrectly or incomplete and takes long to receive the correct data if I randomly press text when a song is playing. Even if it had all the data and displayed properly the first time, if I press text to repeat again, doesn't always work as it would not display correctly.

With the NAV, it was almost in an instant and would be correct, if not updating very quickly.

I'm used to the controls since I don't really switch radio stations - got good station to stick on but I can see the hassle issues if one needs to switch stations often.
Old 11-22-11, 08:53 AM
Wunko
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Seriously Kurtz, why do you hate the OEM navigation so much? Give it up. It is a personal preference, just like people choosing a 350, 250, F.
I agree. It's just personal preference.

I did try a new $100-ish Magellan and I did feel it was faster than the Lexus nav like with data entry and moving through menus. I like having the nav built in to the car as well plus the nav already came with the car I was looking at anyways.

Last edited by Wunko; 11-22-11 at 11:00 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-22-11, 01:44 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kurtz
because it's a $2500 option that sucks compared to an aftermarket unit 1/20th the price?

Even when I was shopping cars in the first place the Infiniti one for example cost about half as much as the Lexus one and had years newer features (like realtime traffic on 2007 models)
Seriously, who cares?

It seems like every thread regarding navigation you have to bombard it with how much better your portable navigation is.
Old 11-22-11, 04:14 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Seriously, who cares?

It seems like every thread regarding navigation you have to bombard it with how much better your portable navigation is.
WTF are you talking about? the post you quote was my answering a direct question someone else posted directed at me.

I'm also puzzled why you'd be surprised when a thread specifically about if it's worth making an effort to add OEM navigation would contain opinions on both sides about if it's worth it or not... so obviously the OP cares... it's why he started the thread

Moreover, I wasn't even the first person in the thread to bring up the OEM nav not being great, I was the third....
Old 11-22-11, 04:18 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,305 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Guys knock off the personal commentary please
Old 11-22-11, 06:35 PM
marcuswaynethomas
Driver School Candidate

^Thanks.

Just so there's no confusion, I'm in no way interested in portable navigation; regardless of pricing or features.
Old 11-22-11, 07:56 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

Good luck bud hope you find what you are looking for. I did notice alot of members on here with older models mentioning their nav going out. Most was even after their warranty was over too. Theres a thread on here somewhere about it. I would go with the fly audio if you arent looking to trade in for the 2011. My car is CPO. If my nav happens to drop a deuce on me after the warranty I'm probably gonna go with the fly audio

Quick Reply: Trading in/up for OEM Navigation?