Trading in/up for OEM Navigation?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-11, 08:02 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by knwldge54
^Thanks.

Just so there's no confusion, I'm in no way interested in portable navigation; regardless of pricing or features.
It all depends on what you like. I agree with you that having a luxury car w/o Navigation does not make sense, even with the additional cost involved. I like the completely integrated look and function and have Nav in both of my vehicles. Other's want the most bang for the buck and go portable. No ones right here, take your pick and buy what you like, but these threads always seem to deteriorate into name calling.
Old 11-22-11, 08:16 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
WTF are you talking about? the post you quote was my answering a direct question someone else posted directed at me.

I'm also puzzled why you'd be surprised when a thread specifically about if it's worth making an effort to add OEM navigation would contain opinions on both sides about if it's worth it or not... so obviously the OP cares... it's why he started the thread

Moreover, I wasn't even the first person in the thread to bring up the OEM nav not being great, I was the third....
Where did the OP point out that he is interested in aftermarket $150 portable navigation?

]Just so there's no confusion, I'm in no way interested in portable navigation; regardless of pricing or features.
Old 11-22-11, 10:06 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by smokyis350
Where did the OP point out that he is interested in aftermarket $150 portable navigation?
quoting things he said after my post (and again, after the several that came before mine saying similar things) doesn't really help your case.

The OP mentions an aftermarket option in his very first post (though not a portable one).... which several other posters then recommend... as well as a couple of other posters mentioning the OEM one isn't that great... then another poster (again, I haven't said a word in the thread at this point) mentions OEM versus portable aftermarket. At that point I finally commented for the first time, remarking on that OEM vs. aftermarket issue....AND mentioned in the same post that if the OP only wants an in-dash option I'd suggest the flyaudio one over OEM since it does more.... thus addressing both the other poster and giving direct advice to the OP about his specific question.

So forgive me if I can't figure out your problem with me here.
Old 11-22-11, 10:23 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kurtz
quoting things he said after my post (and again, after the several that came before mine saying similar things) doesn't really help your case.

The OP mentions an aftermarket option in his very first post (though not a portable one).... which several other posters then recommend... as well as a couple of other posters mentioning the OEM one isn't that great... then another poster (again, I haven't said a word in the thread at this point) mentions OEM versus portable aftermarket. At that point I finally commented for the first time, remarking on that OEM vs. aftermarket issue....AND mentioned in the same post that if the OP only wants an in-dash option I'd suggest the flyaudio one over OEM since it does more.... thus addressing both the other poster and giving direct advice to the OP about his specific question.

So forgive me if I can't figure out your problem with me here.
What is wrong with that? I was just pointing out to you that he never wanted a "portable $150 navigation" you speak of. I don't see that either on the OP's original post either..

That is like asking if I should buy a IS-F or M3 and someone suggests buying a Prius..

You can PM me if you want. Don't want this thread to be closed like how we caused the previous threads regarding navigation to be closed
Old 11-23-11, 03:27 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,305 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Kurtz, smokyis350, please exit this thread.
Old 11-23-11, 08:22 PM
marcuswaynethomas
Driver School Candidate

Thank you all for your replies. For now I'm just going to wait until I get back to the states. If I run across some kind of holiday pricing for a FlyAudio kit, I may just grab it anyway.
Old 11-26-11, 05:45 AM
350PsDMeuP
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by istarzan
So you just called up a random junkyard and asked for it? How much did you pay if you don't mind?
I used http://www.car-part.com/ which tells you who has it, condition, price, etc...
Old 11-26-11, 10:49 AM
350PsDMeuP
Instructor

I paid $1000 for the unit then hit ebay for the $20 toyota gps antenna $50 camera $20 mic...I made my own harness....total install plus $8 beer was around $1300 add another $500 if you want a ML DVD unit to watch movies....
Old 11-26-11, 04:49 PM
marcuswaynethomas
Driver School Candidate

What about the steering wheel controls?
Old 11-28-11, 09:15 PM
350PsDMeuP
Instructor

Originally Posted by knwldge54
What about the steering wheel controls?
Oops forgot about those...Ebay as well, however I never installed my steering wheel controls, but it is plug and play..you just have to remove the airbag etc...from the steering wheel..also buying access to TIS during the install ensures you do everything like the dealer!