IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Trading in/up for OEM Navigation?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-11, 01:34 AM
marcuswaynethomas
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trading in/up for OEM Navigation?

Recently bought a '10 IS350 for 29K with 5K miles, no OEM Nav and what I believe is the Luxury package. I really wanted to get an IS350 with navigation, but honestly couldn't turn down the deal. The car is in perfect condition. Anyway, even before I bought the car I was looking at the FlyAudio unit as realistic alternative. The features sound great, but I would definitely prefer OEM over aftermarket. The whole point of all this is that I'm wondering about the most feasible option at this point. I'm really not interested in sourcing another 3-4 grand after selling or possibly trading the car. Ideally I'd rather trade straight up for another 350 with factory Nav. Unfortunately I don't see any person or dealer banging down my door to trade OEM Navigation for lower mileage.

Based on anyone here's opinion or personal experience, do any of these thoughts of mine sound more plausible than the others? I have thick skin, so feel free to chime in. Thanks.
Old 11-21-11, 01:56 AM
Phresh2010
Instructor

Received 143 Likes on 53 Posts

you could always look on ebay for a used 09+ nav and have a shop install it, im guessing it may run you 2k tops?
Old 11-21-11, 02:27 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If the only thing you wish you had was the navigation, i wouldn't trade cars over it. I would personally look around for someone selling an OEM navigation unit or just buy the FlyAudio and pay a shop to install it.
Old 11-21-11, 03:26 AM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It has been done before. I stumbled on this by accident months ago.

http://my.is/forums/f159/how-retrofi...av-nav-389973/

Personally I really wanted an IS350 with Nav, Luxury pack, parking sensors, and headlight washers. I didn't even consider a car if it was missing one of those, which is why it took me 6 months to find my car and I still compromised on color, year, and no ML DVD playing Nav. I'd try to retrofit the OEM nav into it, or suck it up and trade for another with Nav. GL

Last edited by istarzan; 11-21-11 at 03:29 AM.
Old 11-21-11, 07:28 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't trade in for OEM nav. Unless you find another deal that you can't pass up. Doubt you will get a dealer to trade you straight up unless its in there intrest. Its harder to sell an expensive car with out nav. Few people do not want nav. Even if its not the greatest system still looks better and provides a back up camera which is the main reason I got nav. GL man
Old 11-21-11, 10:13 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

You can't just pop the nav in to non-nav car without heavy harness modification. You're missing mic for bluetooth and backup camera. Retrofitting is not for the faint of heart. You better look for Flyaudio if I were you.
Old 11-21-11, 10:25 AM
NimaM
Lead Lap

Flyaudio would be cheaper and easier to install. That's what I did.
Old 11-21-11, 10:37 AM
JEFFOS69
Pole Position

OEM nav isn't very good - I wouldn't trade for it. I have it in my car with updated maps - its nothing special.
Old 11-21-11, 10:51 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I like the OEM Nav. Get the bluetooth and backup cam.

Definately better than using an aftermarket the one you stick on your windshield.
Old 11-21-11, 12:15 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Sango
I like the OEM Nav. Get the bluetooth and backup cam.

Definately better than using an aftermarket the one you stick on your windshield.
Why?

Actually, a couple of whys-

Why would you stick it on the windshield when there's a perfect flat area right above the center stack that a friction mount sits on. Then the GPS stays in place, it's easy to see, and nothing needs to be "stuck' to anything.

Any why's a $2500 GPS with less GPS functionality, $200-300 annual map updates that's stuck in the car all the time, better than a $150 one you can use in other cars, take in your luggage when flying somewhere, and with much better features, lifetime map updates, and free real-time traffic?

ANYWAY... to the OP, yeah, Flyaudio is your easy plug n play option if you simply must have something IN the dash versus ON the dash.
Old 11-21-11, 12:34 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Why?

Actually, a couple of whys-

Why would you stick it on the windshield when there's a perfect flat area right above the center stack that a friction mount sits on. Then the GPS stays in place, it's easy to see, and nothing needs to be "stuck' to anything.

Any why's a $2500 GPS with less GPS functionality, $200-300 annual map updates that's stuck in the car all the time, better than a $150 one you can use in other cars, take in your luggage when flying somewhere, and with much better features, lifetime map updates, and free real-time traffic?

ANYWAY... to the OP, yeah, Flyaudio is your easy plug n play option if you simply must have something IN the dash versus ON the dash.
Never tried that part, don't think the suction is that great on there.

My dad has Garmain GPS. It updates slow - built in-nav, it updates more in real time on screen compared to it. Never tried putting it in an IS, it was more like GS and the RX.

Last edited by Sango; 11-21-11 at 12:39 PM.
Old 11-21-11, 01:21 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Sango
Never tried that part, don't think the suction is that great on there.
No suction involved.

A friction mount just uses a weighted base.

Thus it leaves no marks on the dash/windshield/whatever and works on any flat surface.
Old 11-21-11, 01:45 PM
JEFFOS69
Pole Position

Garmin's are way better for a nav system than the oem one. The only thing the oem one has better is the fully integration and back up cam.

Just get a mid range Garmin and you'll be happy
Old 11-21-11, 02:39 PM
Sango
Pole Position

I can see the song list on the NAV, like XM, FM/Radio etc...

Without NAV, wasn't always reliable and seeing it as it didn't update properly sometimes. The other I reference Jeff Lange's opinion lol - the ugly temperature controls and display where the NAV unit would be.
Old 11-21-11, 02:39 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In before Kurtz.. O wait I'm late..

Seriously Kurtz, why do you hate the OEM navigation so much? Give it up. It is a personal preference, just like people choosing a 350, 250, F.

Quick Reply: Trading in/up for OEM Navigation?