IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS-F / Sport Steering ECU

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-13, 05:29 PM
funglenn
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is there a "how to" on how to replace? Do I need to disconnect battery? Where is it located? I just bought 89650-53081 - 2010 IS250/350 Sedan with Sport/F-Sport/X-Package ECU, but when it gets here I will have no idea where how to do this....

Also does it need to be dealer calibrated or does it do it on its own--there seems to be a debate here...

Thanks

Last edited by funglenn; 02-01-13 at 05:54 PM.
Old 02-02-13, 11:27 AM
viprtwo
Driver

if you bought it from a dealer it will have no calibration at all. in this case most your power steering most likely will not work at all.

if you bought it used, then it already uses the calibration from the other vehicle. You could use that calibration, but its still not calibrated for your car. in this case, your ps will still work.

to calibrate you need techstream, or a technician with it that can calibrate it for you.
Old 02-02-13, 07:45 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by viprtwo
if you bought it from a dealer it will have no calibration at all. in this case most your power steering most likely will not work at all.

if you bought it used, then it already uses the calibration from the other vehicle. You could use that calibration, but its still not calibrated for your car. in this case, your ps will still work.

to calibrate you need techstream, or a technician with it that can calibrate it for you.
so far haven't found a local shop that has techstream lol...i suspect going to the dealer will be $$$$$ as well raise a lot of suspicion and curiousity
Old 05-21-13, 10:44 AM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm quite interested in swapping the IS F ECU into my car, first a simple question:

Has anyone had issues with calibrating the steering ECU using the ~$25 eBay cable & Techstream software?

Also, I'm not going to be able to do this mod for a while, but I did some searching online and found a used ISF ECU (89650-53040): http://www.alltoyotalexusparts.com/s...s-f/61301.html Somebody call and grab that thing up! You're welcome!
Old 05-21-13, 02:02 PM
funglenn
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by WylieKylie
I'm quite interested in swapping the IS F ECU into my car, first a simple question:

Has anyone had issues with calibrating the steering ECU using the ~$25 eBay cable & Techstream software?

Also, I'm not going to be able to do this mod for a while, but I did some searching online and found a used ISF ECU (89650-53040): http://www.alltoyotalexusparts.com/s...s-f/61301.html Somebody call and grab that thing up! You're welcome!
I recallibrated w the eBay cable-took under 5 minutes. Made some other changes too the software gives false errors and flakey but works.
Old 05-21-13, 09:24 PM
Jake
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So since I have the F-Sport I already have the SPORT ECU? Right?
Old 05-22-13, 08:56 AM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

^ Yes.

But there are three different ECUs (yes I know there are many more than 3 part numbers) that offer three different levels of power assist. Your sport ECU is in the middle with the "base" ECU giving more assist, and the IS-F ECU giving less.
Old 08-19-13, 09:24 PM
BAY2LA350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by StpdSavant
Does anyone know if there's a significant difference between the 2008-10 IS-F ECU and the 2011-12? There are definitely more of the former out there available, but if the 2011-12 is that much better, might as well look harder.
I didn't see anyone (aka Jeff Lange) answer this question...did I miss it somewhere in the thread? This thread is awesome! However, wondering if the money would be better spent towards coilovers. Has anyone compared the following:

1. Stock suspension with IS-F ECU
2. Stock suspension with coilovers (any brand)

Wondering which has a greater affect on feedback. I know coilovers affect the ride a lot more, and the ECU steering feel, but overall which gives better handling feedback.
Old 08-20-13, 05:35 AM
magnuscat
Rookie

Originally Posted by BAY2LA350
I didn't see anyone (aka Jeff Lange) answer this question...did I miss it somewhere in the thread? This thread is awesome! However, wondering if the money would be better spent towards coilovers. Has anyone compared the following:

1. Stock suspension with IS-F ECU
2. Stock suspension with coilovers (any brand)

Wondering which has a greater affect on feedback. I know coilovers affect the ride a lot more, and the ECU steering feel, but overall which gives better handling feedback.
these are two different questions. The coilovers will affect the handling of the car and the "butt" feel
or your view from the seat so to speak. The ECU, or anything having to do directly with the steering, will affect how you feel it in your hands. The IS steering is electric, so the ECU and any weights, or lack thereof, in the steering wheel is what you feel in your hands. People often talk about the incredible feel of the steering in a BMW, especially the reviewers. This is now hooey, as BMW's are now also electrically assisted. They feel like the old cars actually ran.

So Lexus based on a lot of customer feedback sought to give drivers more of a sports car "feel" in the steering wheel. Hence the ecu. It doesn't actually make the cars handle any differently as coilovers, sway bars, etc would. It's all a matter of feel and feedback that you may or may not want.
Old 08-20-13, 07:13 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

would be interested in this mod but its too expensive for what it is, not a true mechanical improvement but more of a feel thing.
Old 08-20-13, 09:02 PM
BAY2LA350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by viprtwo
yes calibrated at Longo Lexus.
How much did Longo charge for the cal?
Old 09-02-13, 10:22 AM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
would be interested in this mod but its too expensive for what it is, not a true mechanical improvement but more of a feel thing.
Don't discount what feel can do for you. From a purely mechanical and numbers aspect a BMW 3 series doesn't handle appreciably better than a 2gen IS, but most people can drive a 3 series faster because it is more communicative, which comes down to how the car feels.
Old 09-02-13, 01:04 PM
funglenn
Lead Lap

I must say, the ISF Steering ECU is night and day. Makes my IS feel more like the BMWs I have been test driving and less like my wife's Sienna. Of anything I have done, this is the most fun. (the rear sway is a second--great combo)

Last edited by DaveGS4; 09-02-13 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Please use classifieds for FS
Old 09-02-13, 09:05 PM
drewster12
Rookie

I have the 2010 ISF Steering ECU and it is night and day...also reminds me of my bimmer.
Old 09-30-13, 10:12 PM
Samieee
Pole Position

Since the steering is electrical, can't the ECU be reprogrammed to give more feedback instead of swapping out the entire unit?

Quick Reply: IS-F / Sport Steering ECU