IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS-F / Sport Steering ECU

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-19, 05:16 AM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

Hmm that's weird, first I've heard I've heard of someone have problems getting it calibrated. Did you tell them you installed a diff steering ecu? I just brought mine in with the isf steering ecu and said I'd like a steering calibration. Maybe it's just their way of saying they won't do it(excuses) because it's not standard equipment on the car for liability purposes idk
Old 05-18-19, 08:37 AM
Zmon
Racer

Received 218 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by soulific
I bought a used unit and didnt get it recalibrated... so my case may be different than yours. However, did he explain more what he was doing? Seems weird everyone didnt have issues. Was he trying to put the old is350 programming on the new ecu? Or load the proper ISF programming?

Maybe he was confused on what he needed to do.
Could be a dead unit, it happens. There is no programming to load as it's already on the ECU itself, they're simply calibrating it (iirc, the torque sensor and rotation angle sensors).

I bought mine off a 12 IS-F so I didn't need to calibrate it since it worked upon installation, but I did it anyways. Had a Toyota dealer do it and they had no problem with it (although I needed to explain exactly what I wanted since the service advisor initially told me no until an ex-tech turned service advisor said they could do it no problem).
Old 05-18-19, 01:41 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,519 Likes on 1,263 Posts

At this point one has to question what killed the original ECU and/or was it misdiagnosed in the first place? Did it have codes present when it failed? And what was the failure mode? No assist? Maybe put that ecu back and scan for codes?

--

As for F-sport / non F-Sport ecu, the F-Sport is pretty nice until you really push the car and the nannies kick in aggressively. If it weren't for that I would call it a nice fit for this chassis.
You can literally drive it at any speed, point it and go with complete confidence. All of the words spoken about the non-F, makes me think they really hosed up as all of them should have had at least the F-sport feel if not IS-F feel from 2006 up. At 1XX mph and up, mile after mile it is a nice driving predictable car. GF just wants to faster. lol
Old 06-14-19, 04:00 PM
SlenderKen
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Tuned ECU

Hello all. I like this thread and have a basic question regarding the steering ECU.

I currently run the RR-Racing tune in my car. If I purchase another steering ECU, will that require me to apply the tune to that as well?

I guess my question is, is the steering ECU the same as the the ECU that I tuned?
Old 06-14-19, 04:52 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 534 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by SlenderKen
Hello all. I like this thread and have a basic question regarding the steering ECU.

I currently run the RR-Racing tune in my car. If I purchase another steering ECU, will that require me to apply the tune to that as well?

I guess my question is, is the steering ECU the same as the the ECU that I tuned?
The ECUs are entirely separate. 👌
Old 12-01-19, 01:13 PM
davidbusta
Intermediate

Received 87 Likes on 68 Posts

i want to order one of the ISF ecu today. i just cant decide on which one exactly. the -41 or -42 for my 2006 is350. is the -42 worth the extra money? i know no matter which one i order, putting an ISF ecu in my 06 is350 will make a dramatic improvement. but i want the best one so obviously the -42 would be my answer but from what im understanding they are both really similar with just some small changes so i just dont know if its worth the extra money.
Old 12-01-19, 01:34 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 534 Likes on 316 Posts

It's tough to say. As you noted, the differences in steering feel between the -41 and -42 units (from those that experienced both units) are supposedly fairly minute and subtle (compared to the updates made from the -40 to -41 unit). I don't believe Lexus published any information to clearly define the changes with the -42 unit.

If the current price delta between the -41 and -42 is ~$100, I would certainly go with the latest and greatest. If the price difference is still approx. $150-$200, it would be a tougher sell as the -41 unit is a significant improvement over the ISX50 Steering ECU.
Old 12-01-19, 01:55 PM
davidbusta
Intermediate

Originally Posted by redspencer
It's tough to say. As you noted, the differences in steering feel between the -41 and -42 units (from those that experienced both units) are supposedly fairly minute and subtle (compared to the updates made from the -40 to -41 unit). I don't believe Lexus published any information to clearly define the changes with the -42 unit.

If the current price delta between the -41 and -42 is ~$100, I would certainly go with the latest and greatest. If the price difference is still approx. $150-$200, it would be a tougher sell as the -41 unit is a significant improvement over the ISX50 Steering ECU.
the price difference that i finding right now is $177. which is why im actually considering the -42. if it was a $200+ difference i wouldn't even consider it at all. its my daily driver and i dont think ill ever track my car like how you do. but i do have some fun on the streets in the middle of the night(in mexico) or through the canyons. but that being said i think itll just be wiser if i get the -41 and save the few extra bucks for another mod. Because if its been years since people started doing this mod and we still cant figure out exactly what was improved, that must mean that its not much of a difference.
Old 12-01-19, 02:34 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,904 Likes on 1,342 Posts

^^^^Whatever you do, don't forget the ISF weight for the steering wheel

Lou
Old 12-01-19, 03:44 PM
davidbusta
Intermediate

Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^Whatever you do, don't forget the ISF weight for the steering wheel

Lou
haha I got that being delivered tomorrow.
Old 12-12-19, 07:55 PM
davidbusta
Intermediate

I had the -41 ECU installed yesterday on my 2006 IS350 and I feel like the steering feeling got very slightly heavier but not anywhere close to what I was expecting before installing it even when I push the power button underneath the steering wheel. I feel like if I let someone drive my car before and after the change without telling them what the changes was that they would of not noticed the difference in the steering feel. When I was driving home from the Lexus dealership after they calibrated it, I was honestly thinking if maybe they switched out the -41 ECU that I installed right outside the dealership to a stock 2006 ECU. The difference was that small to me. One thing that I did notice however is that I am able to toss the rear a bit more than I used to be able before the traction kicks in and cuts my power. Which I love because I have can a little bit of fun going around a corner without much risk of losing complete control like if I would of had traction control off or not be able to have fun at all with traction on. Now I can toss it around the corner while still having traction on and then let traction control kick in to help me straighten my car out.
Old 12-13-19, 08:11 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 773 Likes on 675 Posts

Originally Posted by davidbusta
I had the -41 ECU installed yesterday on my 2006 IS350 and I feel like the steering feeling got very slightly heavier but not anywhere close to what I was expecting before installing it even when I push the power button underneath the steering wheel. I feel like if I let someone drive my car before and after the change without telling them what the changes was that they would of not noticed the difference in the steering feel. When I was driving home from the Lexus dealership after they calibrated it, I was honestly thinking if maybe they switched out the -41 ECU that I installed right outside the dealership to a stock 2006 ECU. The difference was that small to me. One thing that I did notice however is that I am able to toss the rear a bit more than I used to be able before the traction kicks in and cuts my power. Which I love because I have can a little bit of fun going around a corner without much risk of losing complete control like if I would of had traction control off or not be able to have fun at all with traction on. Now I can toss it around the corner while still having traction on and then let traction control kick in to help me straighten my car out.
Before I pulled the trigger on my -40 08-10 ISF. I read that it was the most heaviest feel ecu. That's why I went with it coming from a GS400 even with the sport steering ecu I got for it. It was still the most sloppy feel ever.

I didn't want my IS to be like that. In all give it a few days the ecu should firm up a bit. By how much it will increase firmness is anybody's guess.
Old 12-13-19, 11:54 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 608 Likes on 405 Posts

What tires are you running?

Jeff
Old 12-13-19, 01:15 PM
davidbusta
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
What tires are you running?

Jeff
Michelin pilot super sport. Factory sizes. 225/40/18 front. 255/40/18 rear
Old 12-13-19, 03:56 PM
Zynthe
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by davidbusta
Do you mind sharing where you were able to procure the -41 ECU?

Quick Reply: IS-F / Sport Steering ECU