Help. Wrapping the roof for my is250

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-11, 08:38 AM
bogohead
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help. Wrapping the roof for my is250

Hey, I found this guy named Don Nguyen and he wraps roofs. I wanna get my done
But I want to know if any club Lexus guys did theres by him. I need some help he charges around 175. And I need to make sure he uses the nice
Expensive wrap that doesn't get the residue on the car when it comes
Off.
Old 11-28-11, 09:39 AM
HeartmyIS
Lexus Champion

Don Nguyen is very well known on the BMW forums, I have heard good things about his work although personally I haven't had work done by him. He's located in So Cal I believe? But comes to South Bay for jobs sometimes.
Old 11-28-11, 10:16 AM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

175 does that include material? I paid 150 for my carbon fiber 3m wrap. Did it myself with help from a friend. A local shop quoted me 350 thYs labor and materials. Keep in mind there's a lot of off brand vinyl out there. Those will eventually fade from the sun or bubble. Off brand ones also don't go on as easily and doesn't stick as well. You can also feel and see the difference too if u have two sheets of different brands. 3m it has more of a shine and u can feel the grooves in the vinyl better than the off brand. I have 3m on my roof and a off brand on my interior panels. Good luck with your project. I've never heard of the guy but if another cl member says he's Legit then he should be. Just ask to see his work before you start and don't pay til he's done. 175 just sounds too good to be true if its labor plus material. It's tough if its just a one man job. Even a off brand roll big enough for our roof is $70 on amazon before shipping. The process can take 1.5-3 hrs. First time I did it on my friends car was 3 hrs. Second time on another friend 2 hrs. On my car 1.5 hrs.
Old 11-28-11, 10:19 AM
HeartmyIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RDIS250AWD
175 does that include material? I paid 150 for my carbon fiber 3m wrap. Did it myself with help from a friend. A local shop quoted me 350 thYs labor and materials. Keep in mind there's a lot of off brand vinyl out there. Those will eventually fade from the sun or bubble. Off brand ones also don't go on as easily and doesn't stick as well. You can also feel and see the difference too if u have two sheets of different brands. 3m it has more of a shine and u can feel the grooves in the vinyl better than the off brand. I have 3m on my roof and a off brand on my interior panels. Good luck with your project. I've never heard of the guy but if another cl member says he's Legit then he should be. Just ask to see his work before you start and don't pay til he's done. 175 just sounds too good to be true if its labor plus material. It's tough if its just a one man job. Even a off brand roll big enough for our roof is $70 on amazon before shipping. The process can take 1.5-3 hrs. First time I did it on my friends car was 3 hrs. Second time on another friend 2 hrs. On my car 1.5 hrs.
He isn't a shop, he does independent work for himself. Many BMW forums can vouch for him perhaps you can ask a few e90post members

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=462776

Tons of pictures of his work, looks pretty good to me and no complaints.
Old 11-28-11, 10:22 AM
JMBillsta
Rookie

hey i had don wrap my bumper on my ISF and roof on my BMW. he's has solid workmanship and great pricing, at same time remember you get what you pay for.
Old 11-28-11, 11:09 AM
bogohead
Rookie

The price is 175 with materials
I'm not worried about that price, I just want to make sure that once it comes off
I won't have any trouble with sticky stuff on my paint cuz I would hate for it to get ruined. His work
Looks nice so I'm not worried about that.
Old 11-28-11, 11:27 AM
Gville350

Received 433 Likes on 385 Posts

Ask him if he uses adhesive around the edges. That might only be necesary for a wrapped a hood though, as I was looking into doing that myself and they recommend tucking the edges on around the edge of the hood itself.
Old 11-28-11, 01:38 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Don is quite popular on the MBworld forums too. His work is pretty good.

However 175 is very cheap for a roof. I don't doubt his workmanship, but at that price, I would question the material he's using
Old 11-28-11, 01:44 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Make sure you wrap the side roof rails/rain gutters as well. It looks funny if you don't.
Old 11-28-11, 02:12 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I'd go gloss black so I'd rather have my roof painted black and am thinking of having it done.
Old 11-28-11, 05:30 PM
starknight
Lead Lap

$175 is damn cheap...i got my cf wrap paper for almost that price =.=
Old 11-28-11, 10:06 PM
JYOO
Pole Position

This stuff is harder than it seams. I have a real NICE huge roll of Carbon Fiber wrap and a nice heat gun, just waiting for a nice knife and squeegie. I still have yet to tackle anything yet. Its much harder than it looks, anyone wanna come over and go crazy and wrapped the **** outta our lexis? haha . I wanna do my grille, interior and maybe roof so bad, it aint even funny.
Old 11-28-11, 10:24 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

heres pics of my roof and interior wrapped. good luck with your project http://public.fotki.com/remydee/the-is-journal/
Old 11-28-11, 10:34 PM
JYOO
Pole Position

Nice job with the interior pieces RD!! How did u take off all the pieces? Are there screws or pop offs? U got guts and skills, i have the wrap i just cant take my stuff off like that....yet.
Old 11-28-11, 10:41 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JYOO
Nice job with the interior pieces RD!! How did u take off all the pieces? Are there screws or pop offs? U got guts and skills, i have the wrap i just cant take my stuff off like that....yet.
I do all the work on the car myself. hardest part so far was molding my replica wald spoiler. but there is a thread on here somewhere and youtube vids to show you how to remove your panel peices. the vents and center console requires removing screws and such but the door peices pop right up. good luck

Quick Reply: Help. Wrapping the roof for my is250