IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Need tips on tool choice and amount of vinyl

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-11, 02:41 PM
dillon1493
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need tips on tool choice and amount of vinyl

First off I was planning on buying some black vinyl to wrap my roof with. I know that painting it will be nicer. But I'd rather not paint any of my car as of yet. I was thinking of getting it from http://metrorestyling.com unless someone can suggest a better website I can order from. I like doing DIY projects so my question is, about how much should I get just do do the roof? including the gutter part? Also if there's any tips on aqcuiring a nicer shine out of it. I searched and a person on another thread stated that they read on another thread that maybe putting sheets of clear vinyl over the black will make it glossier. Another was using novus? (main question if anyone got lost in my rambling, what length and width of glossy black vinyl should I buy to wrap my roof with?) I don't want to have to buy more than I have to.

Another question is basically the same, except for the interior. About how much should I buy without hang too much left over? Maybe enough left over to wrap the pillars on the doors or something. Again if anyone has a better site than the one I listed.

Finally, I know this isn't exactly for our cars, but I figured I'd ask since we all have the same cars. Specs of a good air compressor and impact gun. I want to invest in one to make working on my car easier and fun. Specs as in for the air compressor- gallons, psi, h/p. and the impact gun how much torque or ft/lb I would need. Sorry if that sounded dumb.

Anyway thanks for the all the help. Any tips will be appreciated.
Old 11-28-11, 08:14 PM
dillon1493
Driver School Candidate

help or advice anyone?
Old 11-28-11, 10:15 PM
JYOO
Pole Position

Nobody is helping so i will tell u all I know. stickercity.com seems to have the best prices for cf,matte,gloss all kinds of wraps, I got some CF wrap from Ebay but its so hard to do, i tried wrapping little things like my phone but once its on, it looks real good. But yeah better start is check out stickercity.com , they seem to have everything u need for cheap, ive actually been to his old location, owner is a ex MARINE like myself, they have a bunch of videos of wrapping stuff but that kinda messed me up, they make it look so easy but damn its not.
Old 11-28-11, 10:19 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by dillon1493
help or advice anyone?
I paid 150 for my carbon fiber 3m wrap 60x55 . Did it myself with help from a friend. Keep in mind there's a lot of off brand vinyl out there. Those will eventually fade from the sun or bubble. Off brand ones also don't go on as easily and doesn't stick as well. You can also feel and see the difference too if u have two sheets of different brands. 3m it has more of a shine and u can feel the grooves in the vinyl better than the off brand. I have 3m on my roof and a actually got metrostyling vinyl on my interior panels. Good luck with your project. It's tough if its just a one man job for the roof everything else you can do it yourself.. The process can take 1.5-3 hrs. First time I did it on my friends car was 3 hrs. Second time on another friend 2 hrs. On my car 1.5 hrs. I used this spray on the edges of my roof and on all my panels http://neffywrap.com/images/super77spray.jpg Use a heat gun at low heat and downt blow too close to the wrap, clean the surfaces you are wrapping and dry it then get a spray bottle add a little bit of dish detergent and water shake it up real good spray the surface you are wrapping and thatll help it lay down easier and get out any bubbles. use a credit card or something flat to smooth everything out. heres pics of what I did. good luck http://public.fotki.com/remydee/the-is-journal/
Old 11-28-11, 10:31 PM
dillon1493
Driver School Candidate

thanks for all the help jyoo and rd. I'll look at stickercity to check their stuff. Since no one answered I bought some 3m di noc carbon fiber wrap from metro and luckily you got it from there too rd. So I feel good about that one. I usually have a couple friends around whenever I work on my car so I'll probably have help. Thanks again for tips and it will definitely help me on my next project.