IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Flyaudio 2nd Gen Installed w OEM looking camera

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-11, 11:49 PM
Exec8468
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Flyaudio 2nd Gen Installed w OEM looking camera

Installed the Flyaudio unit and added a camera from another manufacturer. Didnt really care for the flyaudio reverse cam...wanted something that looked close to OEM. Some tips that werent mentioned on any of the other threads: when taking out the vents, stick a small flat head screwdriver in there and bend the tabs down. Search is250 vent removal on youtube. Theres one thats really good and shows exactly how to do it. Dont listen to him about prying on the dash though! If you havent had your dash replaced and your car is a few years old, you probably will damage the dash! Mines is only a little sticky but the slightest rub or nudge against the edges chipped off some of the dash! I was extremely careful because I was aware of it but still did a little damage. Overall, Im happy with the unit but have some minor complaints. The temp is either in C or you can select F but it starts at 92* as the coldest! David from CarlightTrends said they should be coming out with an update for this. The other thing is that the clock is only displayed on the main menu screen. Although all you have to do is push "menu" its still a hassle and should be displayed in every mode ie ipod, dvd, radio, etc. since they did not include a clock with this unit. Reverse cam mode on this unit is retarded IMHO. There are lines and guides that pretty much dont do any good unless you set up and angle the camera exactly how the flyaudio unit is set up. There are also two boxes in the corners that serve no purpose at all. Oh and thanks to David from CLT for answering my 10 million questions and shipping the unit out extremely fast! Here are some pics....
Attached Thumbnails Flyaudio 2nd Gen Installed w OEM looking camera-flyaudio.jpg   Flyaudio 2nd Gen Installed w OEM looking camera-camcloseup.jpg   Flyaudio 2nd Gen Installed w OEM looking camera-rear2.jpg   Flyaudio 2nd Gen Installed w OEM looking camera-reversecam.jpg  
Old 12-12-11, 03:12 PM
shortbus19
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do you like it so far? I just looked at FlyAudio's site and they really do not provide much detail on this system at all. Does this simply add GPS and backup cam functionality or does it replace the full headunit?
Old 12-12-11, 05:03 PM
NimaM
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where did you get the camera? Looks pretty nice.
Also, did you change any settings on the screen? Mine doesn't show the green trapezoidal lines in reverse mode and I only get the red dashed lines.

Last edited by NimaM; 12-12-11 at 05:07 PM. Reason: adde more
Old 12-12-11, 05:47 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by shortbus19
How do you like it so far? I just looked at FlyAudio's site and they really do not provide much detail on this system at all. Does this simply add GPS and backup cam functionality or does it replace the full headunit?
I have it and it also adds DVD function. It's not perfect but it's better than just the radio I think. It's an entire head unit replacement. I used a similar if not the same camera as well.
Attached Thumbnails Flyaudio 2nd Gen Installed w OEM looking camera-stereo-camera.jpg  

Last edited by Sffd103; 12-12-11 at 05:52 PM.
Old 12-12-11, 06:48 PM
twenty
Pole Position

Does my factory XM work with FlyAudio? I think if I found a used one for $800 or so, I'd pick it up.
Old 12-13-11, 08:17 AM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The camera looks clean. Nice work.
Old 12-13-11, 11:07 AM
leek
Driver

Originally Posted by Exec8468
Installed the Flyaudio unit and added a camera from another manufacturer. Didnt really care for the flyaudio reverse cam...wanted something that looked close to OEM.
Originally Posted by Sffd103
I used a similar if not the same camera as well.
You guys care to share what the camera is? How is it different/better than the Flyaudio camera?
Old 12-13-11, 05:15 PM
NimaM
Lead Lap

It would be nice if someone could post were they sell these camera.
Old 12-13-11, 08:50 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by NimaM
It would be nice if someone could post were they sell these camera.
here is a link to where this entire thread should have been in the first place. I linked it to the page where I put the info for the back up camera. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...350-a-103.html
Old 12-14-11, 05:00 PM
NimaM
Lead Lap

here is a link to where this entire thread should have been in the first place. I linked it to the page where I put the info for the back up camera. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...350-a-103.html
Thanks a lot!
Old 12-14-11, 09:21 PM
Exec8468
Rookie

Originally Posted by shortbus19
Overall I'm happy with it. The only complaints i have are the ones mentioned above....and they're all really minor ones.
Old 12-14-11, 09:27 PM
Exec8468
Rookie

[QUOTE=NimaM;6878313]Where did you get the camera? Looks pretty nice.
Also, did you change any settings on the screen? Mine doesn't show the green trapezoidal lines in reverse mode and I only get the red dashed lines.[/QUOTE

Got it from eBay. Same one as the link above. It's not a really good camera but aesthetics were more important to me. I guess the green lines are from the camera? What about those 3 boxes? The warning and the two useless ones? Does yours have that?
Old 12-14-11, 09:39 PM
Exec8468
Rookie

Started a new thread specifically for this reason. I searched for weeks and went through hundreds of posts but still never found any pics of this cam! And apparently a few others haven't either. Plus I didn't find any tips on how to remove the vents....not any good ones that is. Oh and forgot to mention, I put my Bluetooth mic in the factory location but had to take apart the mic to get it to fit in there. Just an FYI for those that plan to put it there.
Old 12-16-11, 09:52 PM
NimaM
Lead Lap

[QUOTE=Exec8468;6883729]
Originally Posted by NimaM
Where did you get the camera? Looks pretty nice.
Also, did you change any settings on the screen? Mine doesn't show the green trapezoidal lines in reverse mode and I only get the red dashed lines.[/QUOTE

Got it from eBay. Same one as the link above. It's not a really good camera but aesthetics were more important to me. I guess the green lines are from the camera? What about those 3 boxes? The warning and the two useless ones? Does yours have that?
Yeah, mine has those 3 useless boxes too.
Old 02-01-12, 05:56 PM
NimaM
Lead Lap

I bought this camera and about to install it and I have a question for the ones who have installed this camera. Did you use the tool that came with the camera to cut out the hole in the trunk trim? I'm afraid if the trunk trim (or whatever it is called) is going to crack.
Any comment is appreciated.

Quick Reply: Flyaudio 2nd Gen Installed w OEM looking camera