IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Hello Club Lexus!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-11, 03:20 PM
Kitty2IS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brociouz
Just a few clarifications since dvo's post wasn't entirely accurate - here's what happens at each click of the headlight stalk:
  • 1st setting (Off): The LED DRL's will be on when you are in drive. No parking lights.
  • 2nd setting (Parking Lights): The DRL's will be on when you are in drive. The parking lights will be on at all times.
  • 3rd setting (Low Beams On): Your parking lights and low beams will be on at all times. The LED DRL's will be off unless you engage your high beams (which in turn disables your fog lights if they are on - out the factory you can only have the high beams or fogs on at one time).
  • 4th setting (Auto): 1st setting during the day, 3rd setting while at night.
Also of note, if you have OEM HIDs (not the newer ones with an LED DRL strip) you still have bi-xenon low beams, so you don't lose your high beam functionality entirely.
Thank you so much, that was exactly what I was wondering ! Extremely helpful

However, could you clarify what you meant by bi-xenon low beam? Not sure what that is . . I have a 2010 but I already swapped out the OEM HID with a 6000k D4s low beam.. will I have any high beam functionality left after I put in LED DRL?
Originally Posted by GiantsFan
^oh wow... The newer HIDs w/ led strip don't have bi-xenon? (I thought only AFS was removed...)
Again, not sure what bi-xenon is
Originally Posted by llamaboiz
If you live in a city and regularly drive on lighted roads you don't really need hibeams anyway~
I agree
Old 12-20-11, 03:34 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Kitty2IS
Thank you so much, that was exactly what I was wondering ! Extremely helpful

However, could you clarify what you meant by bi-xenon low beam? Not sure what that is . . I have a 2010 but I already swapped out the OEM HID with a 6000k D4s low beam.. will I have any high beam functionality left after I put in LED DRL?
You're welcome!

Bi-xenon is when your low beam also functions as a high beam by physically moving a shield that cuts off the top of your light beam (hence the term cutoff for the sharp line your low beams form when you shine them against a wall). By taking away the stand alone 9005 (bulb size) high beam and replacing it with an LED DRL you lose a considerable amount of high beam brightness, but you still have the bi-xenon functionality from your D4S HIDs. Swapping out to a 6000K high beam doesn't affect your bi-xenon functionality, but 6000K bulbs will bulb out less light than the stock 4100K ones. 6000K looks much cooler though.
Old 12-21-11, 01:09 AM
Kitty2IS
Lead Lap

You're welcome!

Bi-xenon is when your low beam also functions as a high beam by physically moving a shield that cuts off the top of your light beam (hence the term cutoff for the sharp line your low beams form when you shine them against a wall). By taking away the stand alone 9005 (bulb size) high beam and replacing it with an LED DRL you lose a considerable amount of high beam brightness, but you still have the bi-xenon functionality from your D4S HIDs. Swapping out to a 6000K high beam doesn't affect your bi-xenon functionality, but 6000K bulbs will bulb out less light than the stock 4100K ones. 6000K looks much cooler though.
Thanks, another extremely helpful post !

I also read about it on google, but still doesn't quite understand it; how does cutting off the top of the low beam light make it function the same as high beam?

I've also noticed something weird. I now have 6000k d4s. Every time I turn low beam on, the light would turn vertically downward then back up and become straight ahead, but the blueish tint only appears when the light is pointed downward and disappears when the light is pointed straight ahead. Weird phenomena ..
Old 12-21-11, 01:15 AM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a normal one
Your headlights align themselves every time at start up.

The cut off "shield" when taken out of the way will allow your HID to light up the street better. However your real high beams are the same bulbs that are always on during the day, DRL.
Old 12-21-11, 04:50 AM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

I don't believe so, maybe someone can double check. Either way, you stil have the stand-alone high beams with the 2011+ LED DRLs so it's not that big of a deal.
On my 2012 IS350C I have the Bi-xenon with LED DRL strip. No AFS only self leveling.
Old 12-21-11, 04:53 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I also read about it on google, but still doesn't quite understand it; how does cutting off the top of the low beam light make it function the same as high beam?

I've also noticed something weird. I now have 6000k d4s. Every time I turn low beam on, the light would turn vertically downward then back up and become straight ahead, but the blueish tint only appears when the light is pointed downward and disappears when the light is pointed straight ahead. Weird phenomena ..
The up and down motion of the headlights is the self adjustment

The blueish tint that you see is the HID's warming up (they are blueish when firing up, then quickly turn to their normal color)

Old 12-21-11, 06:40 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The parabolic lens also acts like a "prism" at different angles, which is why you'll see different colors at the edges of the lens, for instance, when it moves to vertically align them. It's just scattered light that didnt make it to the focal point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parabolic_reflector

Last edited by 06isDriver; 12-21-11 at 06:44 AM.
Old 12-21-11, 07:31 AM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

I think I may have worded my previous post poorly - when your bi-xenon low beams are in "high beam mode" the cutoff shield is moved out of the way so you get the full, unobstructed beam of light from your D4S bulbs. The cutoff shield is of course there so you don't blind other drivers when in "low beam mode." Hope that clears things up.

Like others said, the lights go up and down when you start up the car as part of auto-leveling, which is a feature designed to prevent your lowbeams from pointing too high or too low. The blueish tint is probably a combination of two things: (1) your 6000K bulbs are more blue when they first fire up, and become whiter as they warm up. (2) the prism/flicker effect caused by the way the projector lens bends the light coming from your D4S bulbs. For example, you might notice blue flickers from oncoming cars (particularly BMWs and Acuras) when they hit dips in the road, but if the light is shining straight at you it's almost pure white. Below is a picture of my car with 6000K low beams and fogs demonstratingt he flicker effect. You can read the whole thread here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...fogs-pics.html

Originally Posted by jgr7
On my 2012 IS350C I have the Bi-xenon with LED DRL strip. No AFS only self leveling.
Just curious, how did you confirm you have bi-xenon?
Old 12-21-11, 01:19 PM
Kitty2IS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Vroomin350
a normal one
Your headlights align themselves every time at start up.

The cut off "shield" when taken out of the way will allow your HID to light up the street better. However your real high beams are the same bulbs that are always on during the day, DRL.
Oh, cool ! I did not know that! However, how does the low beam know when to take out the shield to allow low beam to function as high beam?
Originally Posted by KillaIS250
The up and down motion of the headlights is the self adjustment

The blueish tint that you see is the HID's warming up (they are blueish when firing up, then quickly turn to their normal color)

Oh I see. Thanks for the info
Originally Posted by 06isDriver
The parabolic lens also acts like a "prism" at different angles, which is why you'll see different colors at the edges of the lens, for instance, when it moves to vertically align them. It's just scattered light that didnt make it to the focal point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parabolic_reflector
That sounds really intelligent with the focal point and all, hehe Thanks !
I think I may have worded my previous post poorly - when your bi-xenon low beams are in "high beam mode" the cutoff shield is moved out of the way so you get the full, unobstructed beam of light from your D4S bulbs. The cutoff shield is of course there so you don't blind other drivers when in "low beam mode." Hope that clears things up.

Below is a picture of my car with 6000K low beams and fogs demonstratingt he flicker effect. You can read the whole thread here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...fogs-pics.html

Thanks for the clarification. However, how does the low beam know when to move the shield out of the way to allow it to function as high beam? And when does it exit the "low beam mode" and enter into "high beam mode?" Is it automatically sensed by the car?

And thanks for the pic, looks great
Old 12-21-11, 02:52 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the clarification. However, how does the low beam know when to move the shield out of the way to allow it to function as high beam? And when does it exit the "low beam mode" and enter into "high beam mode?" Is it automatically sensed by the car?
It moves the shield when you tell it to by turning on your high beams (either by pulling back the stalk to "flash" or pushing it forward to keep the high beams engaged).
Old 12-21-11, 02:59 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

he's right.

The car wont move the shield unless you ask it to, (turn on your highbeams)
Old 12-21-11, 08:29 PM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Like others said, the lights go up and down when you start up the car as part of auto-leveling, which is a feature designed to prevent your lowbeams from pointing too high or too low. The blueish tint is probably a combination of two things: (1) your 6000K bulbs are more blue when they first fire up, and become whiter as they warm up. (2) the prism/flicker effect caused by the way the projector lens bends the light coming from your D4S bulbs. For example, you might notice blue flickers from oncoming cars (particularly BMWs and Acuras) when they hit dips in the road, but if the light is shining straight at you it's almost pure white. Below is a picture of my car with 6000K low beams and fogs demonstratingt he flicker effect. You can read the whole thread here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...fogs-pics.html

From the window sticker, it states lux package includes Bi-Xenon HID with LED DRL.
Now here is what I don't get I still have a high beam light inboard of the HID light. and in the owners manual it also shows the high beam light. The manual lists the bulbs as follows
Headlights: high beam 9005, low/high beam(discharge bulbs) D4s, Low beam (halogen bulbs H11 here is a picture of my cars headlight.
Attached Thumbnails Hello Club Lexus!-2012-is350c-008-800x531-.jpg  
Old 12-21-11, 09:21 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jgr7
Now here is what I don't get I still have a high beam light inboard of the HID light. and in the owners manual it also shows the high beam light. The manual lists the bulbs as follows
Headlights: high beam 9005, low/high beam(discharge bulbs) D4s, Low beam (halogen bulbs H11 here is a picture of my cars headlight.
When you go into high beam mode - your bi-xenon shield moves up letting light from your HIDs go higher AND your halogen bulb turns on.

Super Bright
Old 12-21-11, 09:50 PM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks thats what I was hoping happened but I couldn't tell for sure. I haven't been out on the open road in the middle of the night yet where I could really get to use the HBs.
Old 12-26-11, 10:24 PM
Authorize
Driver

Default Welcome!

Hi Kitty. Welcome to Club Lexus. This coming from a first time Lexus owner and a new member of Club Lexus. I've been finding a lot of useful information and many members have been very helpful here. Love this community!

Quick Reply: Hello Club Lexus!