IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

car got hit by someone ran red light

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-11, 01:31 AM
SiskoMax77
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you okay! In regards to your F Sport items, if they were ordered from the factory equiped on the car you are golden. But if you had them put on, make sure you have the receipts for them. Your insurance company WILL back you up if you have records. Now the only bad/down side is if the person who hit you has a cut rate insurance, that "will" not stop your insurance provider from pursuing them in court regarding this matter as long as they were cited for being at fault (it helps tremendously). I lost my 2005 BMW M3 to a couple of drunk girls. I had the complete DINAN S3-R equiped as well as HRE 545R wheels and other mods at the time. One wheel was split in half and the car was totaled. I had to take them to court but in all I won. Be diligent and DO NOT ACCEPT ANY OFFERS until you sit down and total everything you had done to your car and feel that it is fair compensation dude! You deserve what you paid for, forget the person that hit you...they are at fault! good luck!

P.S. If you need any help, PM me and I will get all the info you need regarding recouping aftermarket add ons. I went thru it and it was tough but now I know
Old 12-13-11, 01:35 AM
SiskoMax77
Pole Position

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Sorry to hear about your accident, glad your ok!

As far as the F-Sport items go, if the car didn't come with F-Sport parts, it really depends on the insurance company. Some insurance companies will not cover any parts installed after vehicle purchase, some will only cover up to a certain limit, and then there are others that will cover it if you have bought such coverage.
That is correct, but it helps TREMENDOUSLY if you KEEP YOUR RECEIPTS. My awesome attorney taught me that after I lost my 1995 integra to a hit and run driver....Atlanta is a scarry place to live lol
Old 12-13-11, 02:30 AM
langjaykev
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ouch sorry man.. i hope everything works out..
Old 12-13-11, 03:26 AM
JohnLX300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was in a car accident where I was sandwiched, my insurance company did repair my 2007 IS250 with all OEM parts. I did request OEM,the adjuster did so, especially because it was only 4 parts they could get that wasn't OEM so it most likely will work out in your favor. And like someone posted earlier.... The insurance company is obligated to restore your vehicle to "pre-collision" condition, it is in your insurance contract. Pictures really help in this sense, they did to me. Especially when stuff doesn't fit perfect or line up perfect. I had to remind the body shop that they were working on a lexus...built to perfection! After fighting with the auto body shop because their repair quality was terrible, they bought my old lexus from me. And go get your diminished value check!!!
Old 12-13-11, 12:09 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

from the pictures, any chance this car gets totaled loss?
Old 12-13-11, 12:26 PM
516IS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to hear about your accident, glad you are fine, good luck with repairs.
Old 12-13-11, 12:51 PM
GilIS250
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all, Glad you are okay man... and second, Sorry for your car man... that blows... hopefully the insurance company can get your car to how it was before the accident.
Old 12-13-11, 01:24 PM
starknight
Lead Lap

Insurance company usually do not cover aftermarket parts, try to get a lawyer to help you. I have one if you need. Just pm me. Good luck!
Old 12-13-11, 01:40 PM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

In your case, it comes down to a few factors:

Insurance companies are NOT liable to any damages to parts in your vehicle that are not factory parts. Any time you have aftermarket parts, you actually need to buy aftermarket insurance for that specific part.

There is, however, a few work around's which is borderline fraud:

1) If you have F-Sport parts and they're damaged, they do technically all have Lexus part numbers. When your body shop submits in the parts list to your insurance, your insurance will write them a check for those parts. Many times they won't know the difference between an F-Sport part or an OEM part. For example if you had sway bars damaged, your insurance will simply see it as a "sway bar".

Now, some insurances or adjusters will know the difference. You can technically have the insurance claim the OEM part and they write you off a check for that amount. You can then spend that check on whatever part you want. You may have to cough up the difference or sometimes even make a few dollars. It comes down to what the two price points are.

2) The adjuster who will be checking on your car will be from YOUR insurance company. Considering this, your insurance probably won't care as they can just say your parts are OEM. Which brings me to another point, many will say you have to prove your F-Sport part came with the car. You also want to consider this: The insurance will have to disprove you too.

Because you're not at fault, your insurance doesn't really care what was lost. They'll let you take as much as you can. The company at fault is the one insuring the motorist who hit you. So you want to consider this, the other insurance WILL check through.

I hope that helps.

Generally speaking you just need to play it out and see what happens and work with your body shop and insurance. Remember even if they write you a check for the fixes, you don't necessarily HAVE to have it fixed.

For example, I was cut off by someone who ruined my front end. I ended up with a curbed wheel and bubbled tire. They insurance paid for a new wheel and a new tire but I kept that portion of the money instead as the wheel was still structurally sound. It was no worse than a curb rash. Then I went off and bought 4 new tires myself and had them mounted and paid the difference.

And here's a last helping point: Depending on state laws and your policy, if your car is within a year or two old, they have to replace it with OEM parts. Here in Massachusetts I know any accident doesn't have to be reported to CarFax within the first two or three years as insurance companies are REQUIRED to replace all parts with OEM. They CANNOT use substitutes.
Old 12-13-11, 06:33 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

Good luck with your claims and repairs. Sorry to hear. Glad ure ok
Old 12-14-11, 01:20 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

insurance adjuster going to see my car tomorrow, but i spoke with him over the phone today. he said for cars under 12k miles they'll replace with OEM parts, over 12k they'll see whichever is easy to get of hold of. i don't think any of my F-Sport stuff need to be replaced frankly, but i got the receipts for them any way. the damage are mainly two driver side doors and driver side quarter panels.
Old 12-14-11, 01:27 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Sigh. Sorry to hear about it man.
Old 12-15-11, 12:28 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

my insurance adjuster went to check out the car today, he said the damage is about $6000 and takes 22 days to get it repair. good news is none of my F-Sport parts were damaged, mainly doors and body panels, and they are going to use Lexus parts for those. now the wait begins.
Old 12-15-11, 05:45 PM
reset2k
Rookie

Did you get the depreciated value of your car from the at-fault insurance company or talk to them about it?
Old 02-12-12, 02:23 PM
neomedic
Pole Position

Did you get your car back from Longo Collision yet? How's the car? Happy with Longo?