IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

iJDMTOY LED DRL Question/Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-11, 01:24 PM
HSTexan
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iJDMTOY LED DRL Question/Problem

So the SO decided to surprise me with an early Christmas present last night...she gave me the iJDMTOY LED DRL kit with decoders. However, it seems the bulbs are labeled 9005 which I believe are the correct bulbs, however the harness on the decoder won't fit with the bulb. Upon closer inspection it seems the 9005 bulbs have 2 ridges on the inside of the bulb, while the decoder harness has a single valley as if it was made for a 9006 bulb (I think that's the one with a single ridge. Here are a couple crappy cell phone pictures to explain what I'm talking about:

I sent them an e-mail yesterday regarding this, but haven't heard back from them. Since the bulbs are clearly labeled 9005, I'd assume I might have received the wrong decoders? It seems the only way I'd be able to make these work is if I forced the harness and plug together with an extreme amount of force or if I used a dremel to remove the ridges in the bulb...both don't sound like they should be normal. For those with the iJDMTOYS kit...is this how yours were or did they fit together fine?
Old 12-14-11, 03:38 PM
HSTexan
Driver

Got an e-mail back from iJDMTOY shortly after I made this thread

Basically what they told me is that it is correct...the decoders are universal, though they are made specifically for 9006 bulbs as I suspected. I had to take a metal file to shave off a little of the ridges in one of the bulbs, as no matter how hard I tried to push them together it wouldn't really fit...in fact once as I was pushing them together the bulbs spun out and flew across the room. Without installing them yet, let's just say I'm slightly underwhelmed with the product.
Old 12-14-11, 04:36 PM
anthony206
Driver

Also got mine from IJDMTOY. After open the package, I notice the Big and Ugly decoder come with it. They afford the smaller decoder on their website. Which can be put in the headlight housing. Wonder if this is how, they can make an extra 20 buck

With the bigger decoder we have to drill a hole or modifiy like one of the member on here. To fit into the headlight housing.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-drilling.html
Old 12-14-11, 04:43 PM
HSTexan
Driver

http://store.ijdmtoy.com/9005-9006-L...g-p/aa1031.htm

Is this the slim decoder you are talking about? I might just buy it so I don't have to hassle with adding wiring like I originally planned on, because here is no chance I'm drilling a hole through cover
Old 12-14-11, 08:39 PM
Atrain302
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have this kit. I haven't had any problems with it and everything fit together perfectly as is. Also, I know that others with this kit have said that the decoders are too large and they had to retrofit the moisture shields to get everythng to fit. But, I was actually able to fit the decoders in the headlight housing. It takes some effort but it can be done. I've had mine installed since July so I don't think that they are the slim ones either. Once they are installed they look great by the way.
Old 12-14-11, 08:54 PM
HSTexan
Driver

Originally Posted by Atrain302
I also have this kit. I haven't had any problems with it and everything fit together perfectly as is. Also, I know that others with this kit have said that the decoders are too large and they had to retrofit the moisture shields to get everythng to fit. But, I was actually able to fit the decoders in the headlight housing. It takes some effort but it can be done. I've had mine installed since July so I don't think that they are the slim ones either. Once they are installed they look great by the way.
Do you have HID's with AFS on your car? Just wondering if the AFS maybe adds bulk that won't allow the decoders and the cars without have more space
Old 12-15-11, 06:48 AM
anthony206
Driver

Yeah you can fit the decoder in the asf headlight but with a little of cutting and wiring together. Also like the link above. You must place it at the spot, where it won't affected the asf. Well I email IJMDToy. See how come they don't afford the smaller decoder with the package. Probably end up buying the smaller one. Just for safe side. And it fit near the drl bulb itself.
Old 12-15-11, 08:21 AM
GilIS250
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Atrain302
Originally Posted by anthony206
Yeah you can fit the decoder in the asf headlight but with a little of cutting and wiring together. Also like the link above. You must place it at the spot, where it won't affected the asf. Well I email IJMDToy. See how come they don't afford the smaller decoder with the package. Probably end up buying the smaller one. Just for safe side. And it fit near the drl bulb itself.
Yep, I did something of the sort when I installed my kit... It is just a matter of creativity on your part... there are many "ghetto" fixes for the bulky case... I ended up taking it out though, I like my high beams option and ability to flash others... too many idiots on the roads of the North-eastern stretch from NC to NY.
Old 12-15-11, 09:14 AM
Atrain302
Driver School Candidate

Yes, I also have HIDs and AFS on my car. And like I said I was able to fit the decoders into the headlight housing without cutting or rewiring anything, and it looks completely clean. If you look at a picture of the ballasts from the Vleds kit and compare it to the decoders from iJDMTOY they are not significantly different in size, or at least they didn't look like it to me. Plenty of people have been able to fit the Vleds ballasts within the headlight housing so I decided to give it a try and the iJDMTOY decoders fit with some effort.
Old 12-15-11, 05:11 PM
iJDMTOY
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey guys, I've decided to chime in and answer any questions you guys have with this particular setup. Yes, the decoders are built to be used with a 9006 sized connector, but with a little bit of effort, it can also fit a 9005 socket. We have been selling it with this particular setup for quite some time and it has worked since the beginning which is why we have not changed it.

As for the large decoders, we just got a couple sets of SLIM/SMALLER decoder design in and available for testing purposes. This design will allow the dust cap to close properly and it will get rid of the huge decoder that is available now.

If you guys have any questions or concerns, you can PM me and I'll help you out. You can reach me faster by emailing us at info@ijdmtoy.com and putting "ATTN: Thura" in the subject.
Old 12-15-11, 09:51 PM
HSTexan
Driver

Is there an estimated timeline on how long before the slim decoders will be available and also a price? If it's only a few weeks to a month or so I may just wait to put these in
Old 12-27-11, 04:19 PM
iJDMTOY
Former Sponsor

The ETA should be very soon, but people need to stop flaking on me for testing! -_- I want to get this done by the beginning of January at least.
Old 12-29-11, 09:58 AM
LaosGuy
Driver School Candidate

Off topic, but I just installed mine.. love them!
Old 01-05-12, 04:48 PM
iJDMTOY
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by LaosGuy
Off topic, but I just installed mine.. love them!
Looks good!