IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Gas wont fill up all the way.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-11, 06:54 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Do you all realize that driving til the tank is that completely empty is actually bad for the fuel pump right? It is cooled off by the fuel in the tank - running it extended periods of time less than 1/4 tank causes the pump to run hotter than it could be and can shorten the life span of the pump...

Miles per tank means nothing, miles per gallon is better...
Old 12-14-11, 07:11 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
Do you all realize that driving til the tank is that completely empty is actually bad for the fuel pump right? It is cooled off by the fuel in the tank - running it extended periods of time less than 1/4 tank causes the pump to run hotter than it could be and can shorten the life span of the pump...

+1. Fill up at 1/4 tank!

This method also cures "sticker/price shock"
Old 12-14-11, 08:43 PM
Toymota
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by andy23
My mte is usually 375 to 385 but recently it has drop tremendously. Now MTE is 280 to 300 when filled. My gas gauge mark is full but I'm not getting all the gas in my tank. Its only letting me get 14 gallon out of 17gallon. I don't know why it's doing that. Please Help! Thanks!
I always able to fill up to 17 gallon of gas..why it wouldn't let me fill 17 gallon of gas now but only 14. Maybe something have to do with my evap system chacoal canister, fuel inject, or vents is clogged or even something wrong with some selonoids. I don't know. I was hoping someone know.
Dang. Did you really run it so far down that you managed to fill up with 17 gallons?? That's not how it works. It's a 17.1 gal tank. Even when you run it until the needle is past E, the low fuel light is on and the miles to empty says 0, you will still have around 2 gal of gas in the tank. So if you fill up at this point, you will only put in 15 gal and the pump will click off. If you do the wrong thing and try to top off the tank after the pump has clicked off, the extra gas will flow into the onboard refueling vapor recovery system and probably damage it.

Also, now that it is winter, your mpg will go down, mostly due to extended warm up times. The range display is based off the AVG MPG so if the mpg goes down, your range will go down as well. You can reset the mpg by holding down the DISP button while the mpg is on the screen. That will probably make your range even lower though because it will then be based off only winter (low) mpg.
Old 12-14-11, 09:14 PM
shui3000
Pole Position

So the gas light never comes on? Or are you too scared to drive far enough for it to turn on.

Anyway, your lack of miles per tank of gas is due to weather. Mileage always decreases when it gets colder.
Old 12-14-11, 09:31 PM
Uda880
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've never actually heard of, or seen, a malfunctioning fuel rail sender in a 2IS. But they're a relatively common problem in BMWs, as I've ran into the problem in the E46 and E85 models. Usually it's due to Sulfur deposits on the metallic contacts of the fuel sender sensors, resulting in the sensors not registering a fuel level, and creating an erroneous gauge error. I've managed to clear it up by using Techron Concentrate Fuel System cleaner, and has so far been running a bottle every oil change (~10,000 miles).
Old 12-15-11, 06:19 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You can reset it but it won't lose all of the NAV preferences - only some of it but it's easy to put back.

It is also possible that the gas has changed to the winter blend therefore your MPG would be hit because the fuel burns faster as compared to the normal blend. This would be more noticeable at the low speeds than compared to highway speeds.

Last edited by Sango; 12-15-11 at 08:14 AM.
Old 12-15-11, 06:31 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

This hasn't actually been true on most Lexus/Toyota cars since at least the Mk4 Supra in the 90s... they designed a small fuel resivoir the pump sits in to keep it cool, so that you can go well below 1/4 tank and have no problems.

I'd still go ahead and fill up at least by the time the light comes on, but you're not gonna harm your fuel pump going under 1/4 tank.

Lobuxracer has posted some pics from TIS showing the system in the past if you wanna search on it.
Old 12-15-11, 07:11 AM
andy23
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I am the only one that is having this problem.
Old 12-15-11, 07:14 AM
andy23
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reset battery

Originally Posted by Sango
You can reset it but it won't lose all of the NAV preferences - only some of it but it's easu to put back.

It is also possible that the gas has changed to the winter blend therefore your MPG would be hit because the fuel burns faster as compared to the normal blend. This would be more noticable at the low speeds are compared to highway speeds.
I might reset it by unplugging cords from battery maybe that will reset it. Doing it this weekend. In the mean time does anyone else have any other suggestions, advices, or tips. Thanks!
Old 12-15-11, 08:05 AM
shui3000
Pole Position

andy23,

read everyone's responses. you probably don't have a problem.
Old 12-15-11, 08:18 AM
Sango
Pole Position

I might reset it by unplugging cords from battery maybe that will reset it. Doing it this weekend. In the mean time does anyone else have any other suggestions, advices, or tips. Thanks!
Just to add - when doing the reset, there are a few other things which need to be set back up.

- Seatbelt beep on/off if you did this.
- Speed/Tacho indicator preferences
- May need to roll down all the windows and all the way back up (except for thew newer cars which have built in memory).
Old 12-15-11, 10:08 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

I've never understood why people let gas get so low... Lazy maybe? I refill on 1/4 tank never seen the low light. It sites also decrease the sticker shock like killah said
Old 12-15-11, 10:16 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by shui3000
andy23,

read everyone's responses. you probably don't have a problem.
I agree. Those MTE estimates vary wildly. If you do all interstate trips, on my LS, and then refill the tank, the MTE might be OVER 430. If I do a whole tank and I never go anywhere and basically go around town, It might be 320 or something. Nothing really changes and your gas milieage will remain constant. That's just the nature of the animal.
Old 12-15-11, 11:08 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Probably it would make better sense to change the indicators to make E as 1/4 because only users can use 3/4 of the tank since it can cause life span issues for the pump.

Last edited by Sango; 12-15-11 at 11:12 AM.
Old 12-15-11, 11:35 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by iRock
I've never understood why people let gas get so low... Lazy maybe? I refill on 1/4 tank never seen the low light. It sites also decrease the sticker shock like killah said
less gas = less weight because RACECAR!

Quick Reply: Gas wont fill up all the way.