Scheduled maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-11, 06:32 PM
dorkacho
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Scheduled maintenance?

Hi everyone !

I'm going on a trip, but at the same time I'm also due for another oil change / 15,000 maintenance in about another 800 miles. You know how the maintenance light goes off automatically when you're about due, so my question is do you have to do it right when the light goes off, or you can typically wait a bit longer? If so, how much longer without damaging your car?

Thanks guys
Old 12-15-11, 06:39 PM
MyIS350G
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the light is just to remind you, you dont HAVE to do it at that time but thats something that you gonna have to do soo just get it done, unless ur only going on a <800 miles trip
Old 12-15-11, 06:42 PM
Hoac
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I waited about 700 miles to get my oil change and I asked the tech about it when I took it in for the scheduled maintenance. He said that it would cause no damage at all, I was cutting it close but all was fine and dandy.

On my old camry I would go like 2000-3000 miles with my oil light on with no probs. That puppy lasted me 130k miles
Old 12-15-11, 06:58 PM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

I personally try to do it +/- 500 miles of the scheduled interval.
Old 12-15-11, 07:24 PM
dorkacho
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MyIS350G
the light is just to remind you, you dont HAVE to do it at that time but thats something that you gonna have to do soo just get it done, unless ur only going on a <800 miles trip
I will be doing much more than that for my trip, that's why I was wondering I just don't want her to be damaged
Originally Posted by Hoac
I waited about 700 miles to get my oil change and I asked the tech about it when I took it in for the scheduled maintenance. He said that it would cause no damage at all, I was cutting it close but all was fine and dandy.

On my old camry I would go like 2000-3000 miles with my oil light on with no probs. That puppy lasted me 130k miles
I see, thanks! Good to know

I sold my old camry at 134k miles, as well
Originally Posted by jbjones85
I personally try to do it +/- 500 miles of the scheduled interval.
I see. Thanks !
Old 12-15-11, 07:26 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dorkacho
Hi everyone !

I'm going on a trip, but at the same time I'm also due for another oil change / 15,000 maintenance in about another 800 miles. You know how the maintenance light goes off automatically when you're about due, so my question is do you have to do it right when the light goes off, or you can typically wait a bit longer? If so, how much longer without damaging your car?

Thanks guys

Lab used oil analysis on every ISx50 I've ever seen suggests that you can comfortably go at least 7500 miles between oil changes (and in most cases 10,000 is perfectly safe) in normal driving.

That's even on conventional oil. Synthetic would be good considerably longer (though you'd probably want to change the filter at 7500 if you wanted to say run synthetic to 15,000)

As always, the only way to know the correct change interval for YOUR car under YOUR driving conditions is used oil analysis... but the above is a pretty safe guideline based on the dozens of UOAs others have posted here.

Other than oil changes the only scheduled maintenance you need is:

Brake fluid every 30,000 miles
Engine and cabin filter changes every 30,000 miles

Spark plugs every 60,000 miles

Coolant at 100,000 miles.

That's it.

And none of em will cause much issue if you do it a few hundred miles on either side of the scheduled mileage.

The service light on your dash comes up every 4500 miles (and then stays on at 5,000 miles until reset) regardless of what you do (and can easily be reset even if you do nothing else)
Old 12-15-11, 07:35 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

Just reset it and keep driving:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml#post1723025

If you're using synthetic, you can safely double that mileage. If you do go in for service, don't get the "15K service", just ask for an oil and filter change. They'll charge you twice as much and basically do nothing more than change your oil and filters.
Old 12-15-11, 10:54 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

If ure going on a road trip why not just do it before?
Old 12-15-11, 11:23 PM
dorkacho
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Lab used oil analysis on every ISx50 I've ever seen suggests that you can comfortably go at least 7500 miles between oil changes (and in most cases 10,000 is perfectly safe) in normal driving.

That's even on conventional oil. Synthetic would be good considerably longer (though you'd probably want to change the filter at 7500 if you wanted to say run synthetic to 15,000)

As always, the only way to know the correct change interval for YOUR car under YOUR driving conditions is used oil analysis... but the above is a pretty safe guideline based on the dozens of UOAs others have posted here.

That's it.

And none of em will cause much issue if you do it a few hundred miles on either side of the scheduled mileage.

The service light on your dash comes up every 4500 miles (and then stays on at 5,000 miles until reset) regardless of what you do (and can easily be reset even if you do nothing else)
THANKS! So helpful!
Originally Posted by anthrax144
Just reset it and keep driving:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml#post1723025

If you're using synthetic, you can safely double that mileage. If you do go in for service, don't get the "15K service", just ask for an oil and filter change. They'll charge you twice as much and basically do nothing more than change your oil and filters.
Ok, got it
Originally Posted by RDIS250AWD
If ure going on a road trip why not just do it before?
Ya because I been busy studying for final .. and I'm leaving on Saturday.. no time
Old 12-21-11, 07:10 AM
sung3d
Rookie

That's it.

So helpful to know this since I am new owner of IS 250 AWD.
Is there anything that you need special besides basic maintenance exclusively for AWD?
Thank you very much!
Old 12-21-11, 10:15 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sung3d
So helpful to know this since I am new owner of IS 250 AWD.
Is there anything that you need special besides basic maintenance exclusively for AWD?
Thank you very much!
tire rotation every 5k, since you don't have staggered wheels like the RWD models do.

that's about it
Old 12-21-11, 10:41 AM
sung3d
Rookie

tire rotation every 5k, since you don't have staggered wheels like the RWD models do.

that's about it
Sweet! Thank you so much!!!
Will remember that - tire rotation on every 5k
Old 12-21-11, 12:41 PM
CCJ22
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I go12k miles between my oil changes. If that makes u feel better
Old 12-28-11, 11:53 AM
dorkacho
Lexus Champion

Just got my maintenance done.

I think they did a "15k" mile service, which I think has more standard procedures than just an oil and oil filter change. The "15k" mile service comes out about $40 dollars more than my previous "5k" service, which was just an oil change I believe.

They also inspected by dash rattle issue - they said it was kind of loose so they tightened it and problem seems to be fixed now. They also going to update my "computer system." Not sure what it was, but they said it was the solution to my iPod not being played when plugged in.

Do people typically ask for synthetic oil when you come in for an oil change?

Based on suggestions here, I'm thinking to do my oil changes at 6k intervals.

Thanks everyone !
Old 05-03-17, 12:26 AM
dorkacho
Lexus Champion

digging up an old thread..

anyone know if gear oil and differential fluid need to be changed?

also, in another thread, it says transmission fluid does not need to be changed. but does changing it provide any benefits?

thanks in advance!

Quick Reply: Scheduled maintenance?